Moron Motorists #3

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Boognoss » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:19 pm

Agree with reporting this driver and if it was me I'd take it to the Police first, then give the company the incident number!!

I've had a couple of incidents with Hillsbus drivers myself and reporting to the company didn't seem to make much of a difference. Lip service by email.

99% of drivers are good but the 1% are crazy. I regularly use Hillsbus to commute if I don't ride and I've seen the crazies from the inside too.

Cheers, Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Don't know why but this close pass bothered me ... generally indifferent to this sort of driving now days.

Andrew
Andrew

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:Don't know why but this close pass bothered me ... generally indifferent to this sort of driving now days.

Andrew
Didn't leave you much room. I know what you mean by becoming indifferent but that truck left you nowhere to go if there was a problem. Most selfish driving.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:01 am

Maybe because he just about took your head off with his mirror? Nail the mongrel.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 am

Mulger bill wrote:Maybe because he just about took your head off with his mirror? Nail the mongrel.
WA Police and in particular the Fremantle Police where this would need to be reported will not do anything so no point reporting it to them. Basically have to be hit in such circumstances for it to be a dangerous pass.

Andrew
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 am

:shock: :roll:

Blog it, Facebook it, Tweet it. Do everything you can to drive customers elsewhere. Send 'em broke.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 am

Mulger bill wrote::shock: :roll:

Blog it, Facebook it, Tweet it. Do everything you can to drive customers elsewhere. Send 'em broke.
You have read my mind. In the process of writing a blog post on it now. Will update once it is completed :)

Andrew
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 am

That's the way Andrew. If you can't get satisfaction through legal channels, go guerrilla on 'em.

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:08 am

Aushiker wrote:Don't know why but this close pass bothered me ... generally indifferent to this sort of driving now days.

Andrew
Probably the result of someone with a car licence used to driving a small narrow car and having no concept of how far over they were, not that that is a worthy excuse.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 am

Mulger bill wrote:That's the way Andrew. If you can't get satisfaction through legal channels, go guerrilla on 'em.
:) Blog post done and gone live and I wrote a "merry christmas" letter to the business.

Andrew
Andrew

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 am

Andrew
Having just had my brush with the HillsBus I know how this feels. Bloody scary and that slight wonder of why this needs to be the situation...

I agree about it being this time of year. I've had about 6 or 7 incidents on the road this year that made me take evasive action (nothing too serious, except that bloody bus), but 3 have happened in the last 2 weeks. I think it's time for a holiday!

Bendito

Postby Bendito » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 am

To those whinging about the bad parking - use a bar of soap to write the message on the windscreen. It will come off... Eventually ^_^

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 am

Ozkaban wrote: I think it's time for a holiday!
Oh yes ... two days to go :)

Andrew
Andrew

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 am

Bendito wrote:To those whinging about the bad parking - use a bar of soap to write the message on the windscreen. It will come off... Eventually ^_^
Would this perhaps be with Solvol soap? :shock:

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Ozkaban - are you allowed to ride in the bus lane? I know in ACT you aren't.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 pm

I know in NSW you are allowed to ride in a bus lane, but not a "bus only lane"

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Ross wrote:Ozkaban - are you allowed to ride in the bus lane? I know in ACT you aren't.
Bus lane: yes. Taxis, busses, bicycles, motor bikes are allowed andmaybe others too.

Bus Only Lane: busses only.

I'll find the legislation if I can...

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Here you go:

From http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/ridin ... rules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some road rules apply specifically to bicycle riders. For example, bicycle riders are allowed to:

Ride two abreast, no more than 1.5 m apart
Overtake on the left hand side of stopped or slow moving vehicles
Travel in Bus Lanes and Transit Lanes
Ride on the footpath if less than 12 years old
Ride on the footpath if you are an adult riding with, and supervising, an under 12 year old
Turn right from the left hand lane of a multi-lane roundabout with the proviso that you give way to traffic exiting the roundabout before you
Travel on road shoulders.

Bicycle riders cannot:

Ride across unsignalised pedestrian crossings
Ride across signalised crossings unless there are special bicycle lights
Travel in Bus Only Lanes.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:41 pm

[NSW] Road Rules 2008 s158(2)
(2) The driver of any vehicle may drive in a bicycle lane, bus lane, tram lane, transit lane or truck lane if:

(a) it is necessary for the driver to drive in the lane to avoid an obstruction, or
(b) information on or with a traffic sign applying to the lane indicates that the driver may drive in the lane, or
(c) the driver is:
(i) riding a bicycle in a bus lane (other than a bus only lane), tram lane, transit lane or truck lane, or

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Just saw this truck's registration plate - choice :lol: :lol: . The driver was just living up to the tag :wink:

BTW Andrew, it is my experience that professional truck drivers are often the most considerate drivers on the roads. Having said that, their level of professionalism and care seems to be proportional to the value of their cargo...... and Western Suburbs Building and Landscape Supplies would generally carry cargoes of dirt and horse manure :roll:
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:That's the way Andrew. If you can't get satisfaction through legal channels, go guerrilla on 'em.
:) Blog post done and gone live and I wrote a "merry christmas" letter to the business.

Andrew

BAM!!! Noel Cowerd ghosting Billy Connolley couldn't beat that letter 8)
London Boy 29/12/2011

redned

Postby redned » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 pm

[quote="Aushiker"]Don't know why but this close pass bothered me ... generally indifferent to this sort of driving now days.

Your rear camera shows that, for a pause of mere seconds, he could have ducked behind the silver car in the other lane and given you heaps of room.
Must have been a desperately urgent load of building and landscape suplies.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew

Nice one :D
2012 Oppy A4

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Looking at the footage from your rearward camera, I'd agree it's not a great pass, but the truck is positioned as far as I'd say is practicable to the right of the lane, leaving you as much room as possible - it would be a different story all together if he/she/it driving was drifting to the left.....

To open another related COW, a friend of mine posted comments on her FB wall regarding the "difficulty" of being stuck behind a slow cyclist riding on the outside line of a cycle lane I assume on a major road. Follow up comments took the usual "rego", "four abreast", "blast them with the horn", "cyclists complain when drivers don't accommodate them (offered to the discussion by my sister no less) " blah blah blah through to the also well known "run them off the road" extreme, so I fired up..... I was told that none of the replies to her thread about running a cyclist off the road could POSSIBLY be actually meant, and that I was being unreasonably defensive/aggressive in my replies, and I'd probably get a better response if I said "yes but not all cyclists are slow...... bad eggs, big bunch, etc etc etc.

It $hits me to tears that we have to be treated as a second class group of society because we avail ourselves of our rights on the road...........
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

rdwaltonut

Postby rdwaltonut » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:08 pm

I have only been in country for three weeks and have been riding every day. I have had several experiences with idiot drivers.

One, my fiancee and I were riding, staggered, but in line, 1045 at night, lights on and everything. A ute screams up behind us, honks their horn for us to move, then zooms on around us. Not another car was in sight. why the horn and the upset acceleration.

Two, I was coming up to a round about, no one is coming from the left, so I pick up the pace to get through it. A car comes up beside me, like they are going to go through first, then slows down halfway through the round about, honks his horn at me, even though he is in front of me, so I go around him. As I exit, he gives me a stink eye and speeds off. WT!?!?!

Lastly, and not from a biker pov. I was driving to my fiancee's work, and I was going down a street that didn't have a protected crosswalk. There were about 10 cyclists waiting to cross. I'm not in a hurry, so I stop to accommodate. The car behind me immediately lays on the horn for me to go. I wait until they are all across, then go directly to the queue that had formed at the round about 200 from the cross walk.

Some people.
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." -Yoda-