Riverview to Burns Bay Road?

gavinr

Riverview to Burns Bay Road?

Postby gavinr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:33 pm

The Northern Sydney Cycling Map (available here, but beware it is a 4MB download shows a 'cycle route' from Riverview (Kooyong Road), through Burns Bay Reserve, into Linley Point Reserve and from there on to Burns Bay Road. Here's the relevant extract.

I tried to find this yesterday and drew a complete blank! When you cross the bridge over Tannery Creek you are faced with several signs saying "Private Property No Thoroughfare" or somesuch.

I pushed on despite those, but the only option I could see to get out of there was a footpath up through some apartment blocks which led onto a hugely steep road which joined Burns Bay Road at the traffic lights well north of where the 'cycle route' shown connects up. And I couldn't see any obvious point on Burns Bay Road as I went south where this route might join it.

Does anyone know if this path actually exists, or if it's just a figment of some cartographer's imagination?!

Cheers,

Gavin

Fresh

Re: Riverview to Burns Bay Road?

Postby Fresh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:39 pm

Do you ride an S-Works frame by any chance?

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 pm

You go through the park, the walk way is not private property, do you mean the blocks of units? stay off the grass and go around the waters edge on the foot path, I have never taken a bike but I walk the dog there a lot.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:43 pm

I used to cross the bridge back in the 80s to go to school but they blocked it, fear of people falling off. I dont think it is a bike path
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Apple wrote:stay off the grass and go around the waters edge on the foot path...I dont think it is a bike path
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, it doesn't look like a bike path on the ground, but it's on that map! There are white Bike silhouettes painted on the surface of Riverview Street and Kooyong Road, but when you get to the bottom they just stop and there's no signage at all.

I will try again soon and follow the path round the edge as you suggest. I am wanting to avoid cycling on Burns Bay Road as it's always busy with traffic going fast down the hill. This looked like a good back street option from the map.
Fresh wrote:Do you ride an S-Works frame by any chance?
Red Specialized Sirrus. I was there about 1645 yesterday.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:15 pm

Apple wrote:stay off the grass and go around the waters edge on the foot path
Thanks again for this advice. I went that way again last week and followed these instructions and found my way this time. Still not sure why it rates being shown as a "Suggested Unmarked Bike Route" on the map though!

Much of the path is just earth and tree roots, I ended up pushing my bike for 100m or so through the worst of it (although someone did come the other way on a road bike at some speed whilst I was doing that so clearly people do ride it regularly).

I won't be using this every day, it's part of my 'long' route home, but this option does keep me away from Burns Bay Road and its fast moving traffic which I appreciate.

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Good, glade to help. :D