Online shopping revolution?

Andrew09

Online shopping revolution?

Postby Andrew09 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Yesterday 17/12 received the weekly email from CyclingExpress.com in relation to their current specials. Saw they had Gu gels at $1.49 each , a saving of $2.41 each. I go to their website and notice the Gu gels to be selling for $2.49 , with a saving of $1.41. Is this a misprint on their behalf? Did they get their numbers mixed up? I partly went thru the process of ordering when I got to the checkout stage and it still told me the gels were $2.49 each (still not a bargain if you ask me). I have sent them three (3) , count them three , emails with NOT one reply and the website still showing that they are selling for $2.49 each. Is this what you call good customer service in this country? Is it any wonder we buy our stuff online from overseas vendors. The products are cheaper and the service is impeccable in most cases. I can tell I can get Gu gels for $1.35 each from a triathlon shop in Waikiki. I was in Hawaii last month and I can tell the shopping experience was fantastic and the service everywhere was exemplary (never mind the tipping it was well deserved). In the two weeks we spent in Hawaii we spent $7000 , not including flights and accommodation , that's $7000 that the Aussie shopping experience missed out on. We are going back to Hawaii in two years. Can't wait! C'mon Aussie businesses pick up your game. Rant over.

Anyone else with negative online shopping experiences?

Warnesy

Re: Online shopping revolution?

Postby Warnesy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Check the cycling express thread, lack of emails is an all too common experience for that website.

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I wanted to give the local mob a try out as would prefer to buy from someone local - if prices are competitive and delivery prompt. So ordered from cyclingexpress - the same day as I placed another order on uk website. CE arrived just one day before UK order. UK order was slower than usual so maybe a problem with the postage in general? Regardless I wouldn't expect the domestic order to arrive in similar timeframe to OS. What really irked me though was the packaging. Battered 2nd hand cardboard box patched up with tape, and parts just thrown in the box rattling around - including a set of expensive carbon handlebars. Needless to say that was my one and only order from them.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:22 pm

It would be best to call in I think. That way you actually get to speak to someone and get a reply.how many times has someone not replied to your email? How many times have you not bothered to reply? How many days have you not logged in to your email? Best to call in I think.

It used to be walk into a store and buy what you want,and at the most you would be able to compare the prices of a product was to 3-4 other stores. People now buy things online and can now compare the same product in 10+ different stores. In our effort to get everything cheaper people are now like " OMGosh this is $1 cheaper from website x. I must buy this. Oh wait it is 10 cents cheaper in website Y. I must buy it from here instead!" Unless you are actually short on money I'd recommend you think about where this extra x amount of dollars will be going (help the Australian economy!)

Of course if the service is bad then they don't spend your money there.

Just remember that there are lots of other stores other than the massive UK online stores (e.g. Cell bikes , LBS (which actually sometimes has stuff cheaper than online). Think about keeping your money in Australia if you can.

Heard of the Keynesian multiplier?

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi,
I noticed the same problem recently with another Cycling Express email.

Saw a pair of Knicks being advertised at a good price went to the website and the price was entirely different.

Maybe they are just trying to get people to click through the email hoping they will buy something anyway.

I wonder how often this is happening?

I guess its just another reason to stay away.

Cheers

Secret Squirrel

Postby Secret Squirrel » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:42 pm

I must say I just bought my Colnago from the BikeBug and firstly
There service online was excellent,emails answered very quickly
Easy to use website
Matched prices from any where including overseas
Postage is free over $100 with free socks thrown in
Plus they have GREAT specials.
I wont go anywhere else.
Have to give credit to them,good work.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:13 pm

Bikenow for me. Best sales and service by far.
Spent 10k on frames with them over past 2 years and they are on the other side of the country to me.
I'll happily spend my money with them.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:35 am

I'm pretty sure CE think we are idiots and don't check things you only have to look at there huge 20% - 48% savings then look at the final discounted price to see it's still above the RRP in many cases when you go checking. I'm sure there was no mistake made it's a ploy to sucker you in then when busted play the OOPS saga!!! How many times do you have to point out mistakes on there web site to never see them fixed and still unfixed 6 months later.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:25 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I'm pretty sure CE think we are idiots and don't check things you only have to look at there huge 20% - 48% savings then look at the final discounted price to see it's still above the RRP in many cases when you go checking. I'm sure there was no mistake made it's a ploy to sucker you in then when busted play the OOPS saga!!! How many times do you have to point out mistakes on there web site to never see them fixed and still unfixed 6 months later.
Tread carefully there. You are sailing close to the shores of defamation.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Truth is a defence to defamation! Plus companies can't usually sue. Pretty sure the limit is 10 employees or so.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I'm pretty sure CE think we are idiots and don't check things you only have to look at there huge 20% - 48% savings then look at the final discounted price to see it's still above the RRP in many cases when you go checking. I'm sure there was no mistake made it's a ploy to sucker you in then when busted play the OOPS saga!!! How many times do you have to point out mistakes on there web site to never see them fixed and still unfixed 6 months later.
Tread carefully there. You are sailing close to the shores of defamation.
I disagree proof is in the pudding of random item as of today.

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/top ... -tool.aspx

http://www.cassons.com.au/IN_Product.as ... 00000006SU

OOPS lets see how long that remains before it gets fixed........

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:49 pm

But you then go to c r c and find it and tell CE to price match it and they should. It is $35 over on c r c cheaper still
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Baalzamon wrote:But you then go to c r c and find it and tell CE to price match it and they should. It is $35 over on c r c cheaper still
Only trouble BZ is I think I could place an order at c r c and have it delivered to my door long before the price matching kerfuffle of emails or phone calls to get it to the point of being shipped has even started. As a consumer I'm not into price matching when it come to the online world it's just way too easy to search out the lowest price along with shipping cost making an informed decision to get the transaction started.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:28 pm

BZ I just did a product name search using google and CellBikes was on top of the list for the same item. Congrats CellBikes Looks like someone is doing it right showing the RRP crossed out and the discounted price lower than c r c coming in at $31.95 so in this case as an example of how it should be done so CE still have a long long way to go before they sniff my wallet.

http://www.this link is broken/p_1484_TOPE ... _Must_Have

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Pravda wrote:Truth is a defence to defamation! Plus companies can't usually sue. Pretty sure the limit is 10 employees or so.

Truth was a defence (one of three) 10 years ago, not now. Plus companies love suing individuals and website owners.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:18 pm

Lets spend a little more money at CE on a bigger ticketed item.

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/cyc ... scale.aspx

20% saving not bad that is a fair saving.

Now to check the RRP.

http://www.cassons.com.au/IN_Product.as ... 000000138P

Seems I'm paying 20 chocolate bars more even on special than RRP.

Lets just copy paste the item description straight from CE into google for a quick price match and second name on the list is CellBikes.

http://www.this link is broken/Topeak-Prep ... ight-Scale

CellBikes have the RRP being crossed out and there 20% discounted applied for the same item now discounted too $279.95

Cell
Bikes
= $279.95 after 20% taken off the RRP of 349.95

Cycling
Express
= $369.95 after 20% taken off the list price of $459.95 a huge saving of $90.00 while the RRP is 349.95 and they want us to support local industry. OOPS lets see how long this one takes to get fixed.......

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Guess what? I still haven't received a response , what a surprise! CE you've lost me. And why bother calling them when some nincompoop will answer the phone and will just lose my temper anyway. Another waste of my time. And by the way , does anyone know why wiggle have stopped selling Asics gear? Anyone?

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:45 pm

Well ,well ,well , will wonders never cease. I have just checked to CE website and the Gu gels are down to $1.49 each. Is this some sort of ruse? I'm not falling for that one. The gels are probably out of date anyway. Nice try CE.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:30 am

If you don't like their prices then don't shop there! Pretty simple really. If I go to a shop, wether it be online or B&M and I get bad service or they are too expensive, instead of moaning about I simply leave and try somewhere else.

When I want to buy a bike part(s) I usually do a quick search using Frugal Rouleur or Byke and then maybe check Cell Bikes as well to see who has it in stock and who has the best price. Then I might come to the forum and see if there are any discount codes floating around and then I place an order.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:11 am

In this digital age we forget the telephone sometimes - if it can't easily be solved by email, a phone call is quick.

In the lead up to Christmas, a lot of online stores are being hammered and are tight for time, so it is a tough time for many businesses.
Cycling is in my BNA

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am

gorilla monsoon wrote:
Pravda wrote:Truth is a defence to defamation! Plus companies can't usually sue. Pretty sure the limit is 10 employees or so.

Truth was a defence (one of three) 10 years ago, not now. Plus companies love suing individuals and website owners.
Can we get a source for this? It goes against all common sense that you could get sued for simply telling the truth.

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 am

If the allegation that this particular shop is inflating the RRP of prices, it's actually quite a serious violation of the trade practices act:

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.ph ... mId/815334

If they are caught doing that consistently, they are going to be in a world of trouble.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:31 pm

drubie wrote:If the allegation that this particular shop is inflating the RRP of prices, it's actually quite a serious violation of the trade practices act:

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.ph ... mId/815334

If they are caught doing that consistently, they are going to be in a world of trouble.
Having had a quick look at the links provided in other posts, they arent. Its stated as a list price. At the risk of sending this down the iPhone/iPad off topic path (please dont), RRP is set by the supplier and as the name suggests is nothing more than a recommendation, retailers cannot be forced to use it as thats illegal also (resale price maintenance).

Edit: where they may run into trouble is where the product wasnt available at the list price for a reasonable period prior to the discount but again they can probably get around this by claiming its a list price, not a was/now. Same thing a number of retailers are now doing with new lines where you get a 'price after promotional period ends'
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:42 am

Undertow wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote:

Can we get a source for this? It goes against all common sense that you could get sued for simply telling the truth.
Whoops! !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!-up on my part. :oops: I blame the pressure from the mountain of work I have to push through before I leave the office for my Christmas holiday. Carry on. :D

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:47 pm

AUbicycles wrote:In this digital age we forget the telephone sometimes - if it can't easily be solved by email, a phone call is quick.

In the lead up to Christmas, a lot of online stores are being hammered and are tight for time, so it is a tough time for many businesses.
Maybe they should think about putting on more staff. Think smarter , not harder. If you come into my workplace you will get nothing but exceptional customer service from me. I kid you not.