Cycling in Geelong

TomBikes

Cycling in Geelong

Postby TomBikes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Could anyone point me towards some tracks or good road for riding in Geelong? Don't mind hills at all. Already know of the Barwon River track but it is only around 12 km.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Cycling in Geelong

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 am

What sort of distances are you looking to do and where do you want to start/finish? I can give you a fair bit of info on where we ride, will endeavour to come back to this thread tonight or tomorrow, about to walk out the door now.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

TomBikes

Postby TomBikes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm a bit of a newbie, having only purchased a 'first' bike a week ago. I've currently only clocked a total of 37kms, 24km of that was one ride. I'm looking to increase this distance but unfortunately I'm fairly unable to ride during a fair bit of the school term due to school sports, and work.

slowrider

Postby slowrider » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:59 pm

I live in ocean grove, but there are heaps of places to ride both on and off road. One of the best is the Bellarine rail trail from geelong to Queenscliff, completely off road and around 70 km return.

There is also the Barwon river trail in geelong around 25km and again all off road.

If your looking for someone to show you around I can help just pm me.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Don't forget the Belmont Criterium Track....

Always good to log a lap early on, then 6 months down he track you can repeat to see how much you have improved !

Are you confident to ride on the road ? Lots of good loops around Geetown and along the SurfCoast !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:16 am

One of my favorite rides is the 70km course from Amy's ride, we used to modify slightly so we could start near home in Belmont. Link to course map here (word doc). Riding along 13th beach is probably my favorite part but try to pick your times, it can get a little hairy when there's a lot of traffic.

The beauty of Geelong is easy access to so many parts of the coast. Another favorite is torquay loop and back going on the highway one way and horseshoe bend road the other, for a longer ride we used to take anglesea road down and come back to Torquay then back home but tend to do that less now since the ring road has opened and the traffic on Anglesea Rd has increased. Barwon heads and back was another nice one but Barwon Heads road can be an iffy combination of traffic & road surface if you are not experienced. Queenscliff and back is another good one, only difficult part traffic wise if you are on the road is from Wallington roundabout to Point Lonsdale. If you are a bit more of a mountain goat (which I am definitely not :oops: ) There are some good options out towards Ceres as well.

If you head out first thing in the morning it's always fun to do the world championships course as well, have fun getting up Challambra Cres (between the 6-7km mark on the map) :shock: Link here - If Challambra is a bit out of your league look for the time trial course, basically identical except it went along Mount Pleasant Rd from Barrabool Rd to Scenic Rd.

Given you are just starting out I would suggest the Barwon river and rail trail tracks as suggested above, as you get more confident on the bike then start moving towards spending more time on the road. if you are happy to do circuits and jump straight in the car once you are done then the Crit track in Belmont is great, as is loops of Eastern gardens. Quite often we will ride into the city and do several circuits of the gardens and ride home again (maybe stopping off at edge for a sneaky bee...... I mean Coffee 8) )

And another random link I found whilst looking for the UCI course which details a few ride options around Geelong for different skill levels.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.