Road Tubes

Secret Squirrel

Road Tubes

Postby Secret Squirrel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:01 pm

I am sure this comes down to getting the right advice from people. Since I have had three punctures in two short rides. I want to know what tubes you use? Or tyres? Do you use slime as a alittle extra protection against punctures? Are Gator Skins ok? Ok I have nothing. Google at the moment is my friend. My tyre pressure is 100psi. 125psi is recommended to use on tyre itself. Please fire away.

redned

Re: Road Tudes

Postby redned » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:17 pm

There are as many opinions as brands and types of tyres (maybe more). So here is mine: I haven't had a puncture since I put Gatorskins on my road bike that I use for my commute. Nothing special in tubes. No Slime. Tyre pressure 115psi.

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:26 pm

All you need to know about Gatorskins is in this thread:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=24870
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Sometimes it all can just be a matter of not removing the initial cause of the first puncture or some subtle damage to the rim tape or rime itself that can cause a run of issues.

*touch wood* I tend to only have flats in spates like you've just described. It's usually with an untested (by me) combo of rim/tyre/tube or - more than I'd care to boast - some small error in my mounting of them.

I would like to think I am developing better habits gradually....

eg
- religioulsy checking - once or twice - the inside of the tyre after replacing a tube for the cause of the first flat
- once the tube is on the rim and in the tyre only partially inflate (~30-40%) and then go around checking that the bead has sat properly all the way around
- mounting the logo of the tyre directly above the valve hole. Calling the valve hole 12 O'clock, if you then find the puncture hole on the tube, it's then relatively easy to zero in on the same area on the tyre tread or sidewall to find the cause.
- if you're getting repeated flats - work out what the pattern is between them by noting the position on the tube. Is it a cut? Is it two little snake bite like slits (ie. a pinch flat for under inflation)

I'm putting together a hack bike atm the moment with some cheapish hand-me-down 700c road wheels. I've killed three tubes thus far! This is with 2 different tyres and a change of the old rim tape! Next step is more closely explore the rim bead for damage - because the issues have all been at about 10:30-11:00 on the tube..... or 1:00-1:30 with the wheel flipped.

Before longer rides I've also got into the habit of mostly deflating the tyres with the bike in the stand and going around, pinching the tyres all the way around by hand to reveal any fresh little cuts which can reveal little splinters of glass working their way through. It's those little buggers which sneak up on you some time after you've gone over them!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Secret Squirrel

Re: Road Tubes

Postby Secret Squirrel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Just bought some Continental 4000s, so will see how we go. Looks like Gatorskins are out. What a very funny read. From what I have read,tubes are tubes and tyres are the main thing thats really going to help prevent punctures I guess.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm

drubie wrote:All you need to know about Gatorskins is in this thread:
In the interests of fairness (and a just a tiny little bit of Drubie baiting) :P Read HERE too. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:49 pm

Secret Squirrel wrote:I am sure this comes down to getting the right advice from people. Since I have had three punctures in two short rides. I want to know what tubes you use? Or tyres? Do you use slime as a alittle extra protection against punctures? Are Gator Skins ok? Ok I have nothing. Google at the moment is my friend. My tyre pressure is 100psi. 125psi is recommended to use on tyre itself. Please fire away.
What is causing your punctures?

Something penetrating the tyre, or a problem with your rim tape, or tubes splitting?

Gator Skin Hardshell version is very good, I hear mixed reviews about the non-Hardshell version. If the problem is your rim tape or tube failures, then this tyre won't do anything for you...
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
drubie wrote:All you need to know about Gatorskins is in this thread:
In the interests of fairness (and a just a tiny little bit of Drubie baiting) :P Read HERE too. :D
There is only one true taterskins thread! The other one is some kind of mutual self help group that makes no sense to me :lol:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Ditch the tubes, problem solved. Hutchinson Road Tubeless - when was the last time you had a tube in a car tyre?
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600