Bike Route Toowong to Newstead

molly

Bike Route Toowong to Newstead

Postby molly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Having troubles working out a good route from Toowong to Newstead, I tried riding bicentennial bikeway all the way around to to the story bridge and then cut thru new farm and to teneriffe, but along the river walk area (eagle st etc) is really annoying. Can anyone suggest a good alternative? Cutting northside of the city (gregory terrace) looks like a mess too. Thanks

ValleyForge

Re: Bike Route Toowong to Newstead

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:43 pm

molly wrote:Having troubles working out a good route from Toowong to Newstead, I tried riding bicentennial bikeway all the way around to to the story bridge and then cut thru new farm and to teneriffe, but along the river walk area (eagle st etc) is really annoying. Can anyone suggest a good alternative? Cutting northside of the city (gregory terrace) looks like a mess too. Thanks
Suggest the fastest way is Go Between then bottom of the Kangaroo Pt cliffs, Thornton St ferry ramp and Story bridge. Head around left & under Story bridge and go down Malt or Harcourt St.

We ride the reverse way for the river loop and hit on that route with a bit of trial & error.

There is an alternative, going through the Roma St Parklands, along the railway line to Gilchrist Ave. Then Campbell St and perhaps Montpelier. There is a cycle ramp that avoids Montpelier; it comes out onto Abbotsford Rd behind DiBella coffee, but I don't know where it starts (somewhere near Qld Newspapers I think)
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:34 pm

You don't say what day or time you want to ride. On the weekend, early, I find it easiest to go straight down Turbot and Wickham streets. I'd probable choose that route if I was commuting too.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:26 pm

I commute along part of the way and would have to agree, go between over to Southbank, kangaroo point track over Story bridge and down one of the back streets, either harcourt or Kent street. Much more relaxing and traffic free compared to fighting the main streets through the valley. I come in from 8 Mile Plains and hit that area around Captain Cook bridge. Over Story bridge you can cross on either side and I tend to alternate depending on how I feel at the time.

Dave

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:30 am

dclnmurray wrote:I commute along part of the way and would have to agree, go between over to Southbank, kangaroo point track over Story bridge and down one of the back streets, either harcourt or Kent street. Much more relaxing and traffic free compared to fighting the main streets through the valley. I come in from 8 Mile Plains and hit that area around Captain Cook bridge. Over Story bridge you can cross on either side and I tend to alternate depending on how I feel at the time.

Dave
Choose the same side of the Story bridge as the breeze - it's cooler!

molly

Postby molly » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks for the suggestions! Sorry I should have been more specific, just general commute between 8 and 9 in mornings and 5.30 and 6.30 in evenings. Will try the kangaroo point section, but might switch over to that side using the goodwill bridge instead (I never like riding thru along southbank section - I go really slow near pedestrians)

I was interested in the roma st parklands/railway etc but couldnt work out how to get from bicentennial bikeway to the start of the path at roma st parklands from google maps.

Yeah I use kent and commercial rd etc, which is good, it is just the section between story bridge and the goodwill bridge that is the problem (cbd side that is).

Otherwise there is always hitting Mt Cootha in the way in, then that slow section can be my recovery :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 pm

molly wrote:I was interested in the roma st parklands/railway etc but couldnt work out how to get from bicentennial bikeway to the start of the path at roma st parklands from google maps.
You could take the Herschel St ramp and go along Herschel to Roma St, or take the next ramp (or the Go Between and Kurilpa bridges) to Tank St and through the new court complex onto Roma Street. Either route will put you at the entrance to the parklands.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:21 pm

RonK wrote:
molly wrote:I was interested in the roma st parklands/railway etc but couldnt work out how to get from bicentennial bikeway to the start of the path at roma st parklands from google maps.
You could take the Herschel St ramp and go along Herschel to Roma St, or take the next ramp (or the Go Between and Kurilpa bridges) to Tank St and through the new court complex onto Roma Street. Either route will put you at the entrance to the parklands.
That's the lousy bit - either up a steep narrow access ramp to the station carpark from the roundabout and into Parkland Cresent; or up to Turbot st, then left into Albert & through the Parklands.

Any other suggestions?

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm

ValleyForge wrote: That's the lousy bit - either up a steep narrow access ramp to the station carpark from the roundabout and into Parkland Cresent; or up to Turbot st, then left into Albert & through the Parklands.

Any other suggestions?
Recent completion of the new Law Courts buildings on George street has "opened up" a nice little direct line of approach to Parklands Boulevard from Tank street (thats the one that Kurilpa bridge feeds onto directly)

When i say "opened up" there is nice little green park there now (for years before it was a massive hole in the ground)
IIRC there is a most convenient pathway through this green space that leads directly from the Tank St / George St intesection to the Roma St / Parklands Boulevard intersection (approximately).

I have no idea the best way to get off the Coro drive bikeway onto Tank St, but i suspect that it would be the off ramp that takes you up to Herschell St / North Quay intersection, and a brief time on the latter before turn onto Tank St.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 pm

elantra wrote:
ValleyForge wrote: That's the lousy bit - either up a steep narrow access ramp to the station carpark from the roundabout and into Parkland Cresent; or up to Turbot st, then left into Albert & through the Parklands.

Any other suggestions?
Recent completion of the new Law Courts buildings on George street has "opened up" a nice little direct line of approach to Parklands Boulevard from Tank street (thats the one that Kurilpa bridge feeds onto directly)

When i say "opened up" there is nice little green park there now (for years before it was a massive hole in the ground)
IIRC there is a most convenient pathway through this green space that leads directly from the Tank St / George St intesection to the Roma St / Parklands Boulevard intersection (approximately).

I have no idea the best way to get off the Coro drive bikeway onto Tank St, but i suspect that it would be the off ramp that takes you up to Herschell St / North Quay intersection, and a brief time on the latter before turn onto Tank St.
I've already suggested these routes (I live in Tank Street). The best approach is over the Go Between and Kurilpa Bridges.

I can't suggest any way to avoid the ramp into the parkway.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:05 pm

RonK wrote:
elantra wrote:

Any other suggestions?

I've already suggested these routes (I live in Tank Street). The best approach is over the Go Between and Kurilpa Bridges.

I can't suggest any way to avoid the ramp into the parkway.
Thanks RonK. That's what I was fishing for, but suspected it didn't exist.