Living with a velomobile

Aushiker

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:49 am

il padrone wrote:Why the Nuvinci and not a Rohloff? I may be wrong, but I seem to recall the Nuvinci is a good bit heavier, narrower range and lower efficiency than a Rohloff. A big price to pay for a step-less gear shift.
Weight of a NuVinci 360 is 2450 grams versus a Rohloff at a max from what I can see of 1825 grams. Price ... $399 versus around $1,000+ ... Gear inches of the Nuvinci 360 is 360% versus 526%. Looks like the only box it ticks is price. I guess there are other options such as the SRAM G8 (over 2kg but no idea of gear inches) and Shimano as well including the Afline 11 speed which is coming out in Di2 mode soon. The Afline 11sp is 409% and http://starbike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have it for €329 less VAT.

I also saw a post suggesting a SRAM DualDrive as another option.

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Given your propensity for touring (and it would be an awesome touring bike) I would encourage you to go for a wide range of gearing.

I have the standard 52/39/30 on the front with 11-32 cassette and standard 26 to 18 mid drive. I think this gives me 25 or 28 to 132 (or something) gear inches.

I use both extremes of my gear range every day. The 11-32 is the max cassette that the mango can handle, otherwise I would actually put a 11-34 or 11-36 in it. I might add Nitramluap runs 12-25 and has never needed lower, but my legs are skinnier than his :mrgreen:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Me? I am sticking to derailleurs :) For one putting in a Rohloff in a Mango means a special modification which means that is it. You are stuck with a Rohloff. Also I suspect that the low maintenance advantages are minimised for derailleur systems given the nature of the Mango (keeps it all clean) plus twilwel (Harry?)'s comment at BROL in a discussion about the Afline 11 speed, says it all :)
a lot of people seem to be daunted by the amount of gearing options that are possible with the Mango. Because you write that you like doing trails and your fitness level is fluctuating, I would suggest a wide range, but with emphasis on the low gears. This is possible with a derailer front and rear, with Ultegra 30-39-52 chainrings in front and 11-32 10-speed cassette in the rear.

A very large range can just as well be accomplished with the 11-speed Alfine when combined with 3 chainrings 30-39-52 in front.
With this set-up you can shift standing still, have a wide range and it doesn't cost a bundle.

Instead of the standard 26 chainring on the mid-drive, I recommend a 22 for lower gears/better climbing. Alfine or derailer system makes no difference.

When you think about hard climbing now and then and want really low gears, we can mount Shimano XT cranks 22-32-44 and the 11-32 cassette. With again a 22 tooth chainring on the mid-drive you'll have an even lower gearing than you have on your ICE
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Well a velo I suspect is like a trike.
I was able to crawl up a hill doing 2-4kph on my trike, I wouldn't have been able to do that feat on anything else as I would have simply fallen over. Mind you I didn't like it! I was cursing and the rear wheel kept on slipping and grabbing. 6-10% pea gravel hill with deep gravel sections causing wheel spin when lost traction and regained it.
3 wheels give so much more stability enabling you to climb at slow speeds.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I had tremendous fun on the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride this year, riding with 2 other velonauts: Nitramluap and Burnt.

Imagine how good this would be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJDxPiA ... youtu.be&a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It really does feel like Mario Kart racing at times :-)

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Went out for a ride in the Mango today, it's been ages since my last ride (due to Tennis Elbow).....

I still have Tennis Elbow but it's all strapped up, lots of padding at the elbow contact points.....Shoulder pads now fitted (poor show Arjen for not sending them with the Mango originally, but greatly improved service from Harry & Harma for sending them quickly once they were requested) and they definitely stop you rolling out of the seat..... Need to adjust the position of the pads a little.....

But managed a 30 kph average in 35 kph winds so not bad and the first time I have ridden topless ! No Flevo roof or race hood !

I even wore a helmet ;-) a non-AS approved Cratoni helmet but it's comfortable and allows be to turn my head easily I'm the Mango.......only hit 65 kph as it was a steady ride !

It's great fun to be back in the Mango, had a nice cruise at 42 kph and overhauled some roadies into the wind :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Rhubarb wrote:I had tremendous fun on the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride this year, riding with 2 other velonauts: Nitramluap and Burnt.

Imagine how good this would be: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxJDxPiA ... youtu.be&a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It really does feel like Mario Kart racing at times :-)
There is an e-Book out on ROAM 2011. I have started reading it and it is a good read so far.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:30 pm

Riggsbie wrote:I even wore a helmet ;-) a non-AS approved Cratoni helmet but it's comfortable and allows be to turn my head easily I'm the Mango
Link or model? I find it hard to get an idea of what would be a suitable helmet from just looking at the websites :cry:

Andrew
Andrew

Poiter

Re: Living with a rotovelomobile

Postby Poiter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 am

The Red Rholloff Roto for sale is now located in Sydney if interested.
http://www.moz.net.nz/sell/2012sept/

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi Andrew....

I have one of these

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=70497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also purchased some dark visors from Cratoni (directly) expensive but worth it so if anyone needs additional visors if they have this helmet PM me !

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Good to hear you are out riding again Paul. Those speeds sound good to me. Nice to pass the odd roadie.
Must look into that helmet. It certainly looks like it will fit under the hood.

Andrew. I downloaded the PDF version. They commented the interactive pars don't work but the seem to for me in the Linux PDF reader. If I can work out how to get the iBook version I can run it in Calibre by changing the extension to ePub apparently.

John

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:42 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Hi Andrew....

I have one of these

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=70497" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. They look like they may get pretty hot but in summer but.

Andrew
Andrew

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Actually it is really vented at the front !

I have had to ride with the visor up to block the vents as I was getting a cold forehead !

mozart

Postby mozart » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Today I finally picked up the Mango Tour, I had a short ride, little bit tight around my shoulders. I did had some trouble with one of the cables, the grab screw was't tight the cable let go where it connects on to NuVinci . hope to go on a long ride this weekend give it good test as well as me .more photos, http://www.mozart-engine.com/my-other-p ... trike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Totally awesome !

You will find that you will need to check and tighten stuff after the first few rides.....my front suspension strut tops came loose early on.....just double check all the tie bars around the front hub, suspension, steering.....

The adventure begins !

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 pm

mozart wrote:I did had some trouble with one of the cables, the grab screw was't tight the cable let go where it connects on to NuVinci . hope to go on a long ride this weekend give it good test as well as me .
Looking good. Re the cable I would do a Google on this ... I vaguely recall a blog posting or discussion of this issue with these hubs.

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Nice Mozart.

I found it took me several weeks, even months to get the set up just right. I even enjoyed that process though :mrgreen:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:37 am

Aushiker wrote:
mozart wrote:I did had some trouble with one of the cables, the grab screw was't tight the cable let go where it connects on to NuVinci . hope to go on a long ride this weekend give it good test as well as me .
Looking good. Re the cable I would do a Google on this ... I vaguely recall a blog posting or discussion of this issue with these hubs.

Andrew
Congrats on taking delivery Mozart. We must be up to seven Mangos in Aus now.
Here is the item I think Andrew is referring to.
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... ht=nuvinci" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tour looks really nice. It will be even better when you get it dialed in.
Is the tight shoulders from being above the lip of the opening? The seat can be lowered and leaned back to take care of that. We managed it in mine for Baalzamon and he was pretty broad in the shoulders.

John

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 pm

mozart wrote:Today I finally picked up the Mango Tour, I had a short ride, little bit tight around my shoulders. I did had some trouble with one of the cables, the grab screw was't tight the cable let go where it connects on to NuVinci . hope to go on a long ride this weekend give it good test as well as me .more photos, http://www.mozart-engine.com/my-other-p ... trike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Congratulations I am sure you will get it "tailored" to your requirements in time. I am interested in the shipping timeframe, if I understand correctly Sinner shipped it 1/12/12 and you picked it up 20/12/12, did you pick it up as soon as it arrived? did you handle the import paperwork yourself or use an agent?
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

mozart

Postby mozart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Congratulations I am sure you will get it "tailored" to your requirements in time. I am interested in the shipping timeframe, if I understand correctly Sinner shipped it 1/12/12 and you picked it up 20/12/12, did you pick it up as soon as it arrived? did you handle the import paperwork yourself or use an agent?[/quote]

Hi Bartek
Sinner bikes shipped it on 7/12/12 ,Mango arrived in Melbourne on 12/12/12 got contact by Customs Broker MEL XL Airfreight on 14/12/12. they handle all import paperwork then I payed import duty to them on that day , then was transport out to my home town yesterday.

James

mozart

Postby mozart » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 pm

John Lewis wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Congrats on taking delivery Mozart. We must be up to seven Mangos in Aus now.
Here is the item I think Andrew is referring to.
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... ht=nuvinci" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tour looks really nice. It will be even better when you get it dialed in.
Is the tight shoulders from being above the lip of the opening? The seat can be lowered and leaned back to take care of that. We managed it in mine for Baalzamon and he was pretty broad in the shoulders.

John
Thanks John and Aushiker for link that was actually what was wrong with it, lucky that I did't lose any parts. I'm managing to get in and out to mango my shoulders are below the rim of lid, It is a tight fit my shoulder right up against sides of the wall had taken out pads I am fairly broad across shoulders from my work over the years

James

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:25 pm

Be careful with your elbows resting on the insides of the Mango !!

I now have Tennis Elbow as a result of bruising/inflammation due to leaning on my left elbow... My Mango was delivered without shoulder pads !

Still very painful but have a couple of rides in the last week and just signed up for the 500km starvation challenge from 24/12 until 31/12 !!

We all look forward to more updates !!

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:27 pm

Lol you have to love predictive text.....

Strava = starvation

Hahaha

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:07 pm

mozart wrote:Congratulations I am sure you will get it "tailored" to your requirements in time. I am interested in the shipping timeframe, if I understand correctly Sinner shipped it 1/12/12 and you picked it up 20/12/12, did you pick it up as soon as it arrived? did you handle the import paperwork yourself or use an agent?
Hi Bartek
Sinner bikes shipped it on 7/12/12 ,Mango arrived in Melbourne on 12/12/12 got contact by Customs Broker MEL XL Airfreight on 14/12/12. they handle all import paperwork then I payed import duty to them on that day , then was transport out to my home town yesterday.

James[/quote]

Guess you meant GST. There is no duty on a new bicycle complete. If someone boobed and you were charged duty you should be able to get a refund.

John

mozart

Postby mozart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:16 pm

John Lewis wrote:
mozart wrote:Congratulations I am sure you will get it "tailored" to your requirements in time. I am interested in the shipping timeframe, if I understand correctly Sinner shipped it 1/12/12 and you picked it up 20/12/12, did you pick it up as soon as it arrived? did you handle the import paperwork yourself or use an agent?
Hi Bartek

James
Guess you meant GST. There is no duty on a new bicycle complete. If someone boobed and you were charged duty you should be able to get a refund.

John[/quote]
yes I did meant GST + 5% Customs duty