Perineum Pinching Padding

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
JessicaAlba

Perineum Pinching Padding

Postby JessicaAlba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 pm

So, I have a problem.

I've found wearing a certain pair of knicks gives this nasty pinching feeling between my right inner thigh and perineum. I first thought I was getting hair stuck between fabric and skin, so I shaved the area. That seemed to help and after changing to different knicks, the problem had gone away.

Until today.

I had thought the thinner padding in the latter knicks was the defining difference with the thicker former pair. They didn't feel like they were digging in and pinching at all. But today, the nasty pinching returned.

I'm not sure if its a fit issue with the knicks, ie; the padding is sitting just so and in the wrong spot, or I actually have deeper problems; seat position; pedalling style, etc...

Thoughts?
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

winstonw

Re: Perineum Pinching Padding

Postby winstonw » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Without going into your bodyfat % or whether you have a saddle appropriate for your butt, or whether you've ramped your distance up too quickly, seriously, smother your perineum with a moisturiser, I mean really jam it into that area.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Aussie Butt Cream or Butt Butter.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

matagi

Postby matagi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:26 pm

I had the same issue with one particular pair of knicks I owned. I traced the problem to the outline of the padding - basically the edge of the padding coincided with the crease where inner thigh joins perineum. When I wore these knicks, I experienced pinching and chafing in that area.

So maybe check where the edge of your padding sits, because that could be the source of the problem. I use Ground Effect knicks now, reasonably priced and excellent quality, with padding that wraps down the inside of the inner thigh.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:47 pm

If your seat isn't wide enough to support your sit bones, the weight is taken by your perineum. It's not designed/evolved to take that, and the pressure on the nerves in the area could be giving you the sensation (and generally aggravating all the soft tissue in that area). Padding on seats or knicks won't overcome the basic problem of too much static weight pressing on your perineum. Padding might absorb some of the shock from larger bumps, but it can't reduce the weight on your perineum once it is compressed under your weight (and that's much more of the time you're on the bike).
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Quite a common issue that causes one side of the nether region to be pinched is saddle height. If yr saddle is a few mm too high u will subconsciously move a little laterally to allow one leg to work at near it's optimum length, leaving the other on stretch. The by product of this is one sided rubbing or pinching on the saddle. So try dropping your saddle 5mm and reassess. If it makes no difference then u can either try another 5mm, or just return the saddle to its original height and explore other options.