Buying a womens MTN Bike < $1000 Giant vs Trek vs specialize

Morahan1

Buying a womens MTN Bike < $1000 Giant vs Trek vs specialize

Postby Morahan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 pm

Hey everyone,

long time reader, first time poster.

My husband and I are looking at buying mountain bikes for Christmas. I have visited a few bike shops but everywhere I have visited only specialaise in 1 brand of bike and each sales person makes their brand seem better than the last.

I am only really starting out, and am planning on riding a few fire trails and recreational tracks. See how I am going and maybe working up to a few single path tracks.
I have been convinced by the 29er so I have not even been looking at a 26inch.

I have looked at a few bikes but I think I am considering either:
The Giant Talon 0 W or RRP $1099
the Trek Cali S RRP$999

The guy selling the giant was willing to negotiate on price however the trek woman said that being a 2013 model their policy was not to discount. Note: they are both the 2013 models.

I also considered the Specialized Jet but less so than the other 2.

Any thoughts as to which bike to choose. Or at least what questions I should ask. Should I look at some other brands?

Finally, does the women's frame really make a difference, or could I consider some of the unisex/male models?

Thanks for your help in advance

Maria

HoldYaLine

Re: Buying a womens MTN Bike < $1000 Giant vs Trek vs specia

Postby HoldYaLine » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:33 am

Remember when buying bikes, always ask for a test ride, its the most important part of deciding for me. Anyway, the trek cali s looks like the hugest rip-off to me, its ugly heavy and seems like a womens frame for the sake of it you know?
however the giant talon w 29er looks like a really really good deal. the components are of much higher quality, the fork, the brakes. Overall, the giant will be the best deal by far, but test ride them and see, maybe the lower quality components will do well for you, no one knows. I have a talon 2 men's from last year, so i have ridden it and i can say, its one of the best single suspension mountain bikes i tried.

Stick to well known brands, if specialized didnt convince you, that is alright, just be aware they also make very good mountain bikes.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 am

Bike dealers are often like car dealers...they only do one brand. And they often talk a load of rubbish.

The Giant is the go specification wise of the three you mentioned. At this stage, you are unlikely to find the limits of those components unless you push hard or do something stupid. But they'll hold together better than what's available on the other bikes.

As for whether you should go with the womens geometry or the unisex depends on you and the way the bike feels when you straddle it. Even more so when you ride it...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Morahan1

Postby Morahan1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks HoldYaLine and silentbutdeadly,

I am planning on taking a few bikes out for a test ride this weekend. I must admit I really do like the Giant as the LBS I saw it at was by far the friendliest. I do like to support the local guy. But I don't want to discount the others just yet.

It is great to know the women’s specific frames are not too important - it opens up a whole lot more choices. I am quite tall so I suspect a unisex bike won't be a problem.

I'll let you know how I go. I am looking forward to taking my new bike out for Christmas

thanks again.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:34 pm

You get at least $100 worth of better components on the talon for $100 more - so if you get any bargaining done with the giant dealer you'll be well ahead, though mix/matching sram and shimano groupset bits would irritate the hell out of me just looking at it.

I would probably check whether or not you get toe overlap before making a hard call on a 29er, or at least be aware of it if you do. Its not the end of the world, as it won't affect riding at speed, but it is a way to fall off in a hairpin.