Enve SES 3.4 clinchers

ephesiangts

Re: Enve SES 3.4 clinchers

Postby ephesiangts » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Only one thing bothers me with this whole topic. How the heck were you able to trial the wheels.
There is no way any bike store I know would let you trial wheels. So how would you ever know what wheels to buy.
Other than trial an error. And countless dollars spent on wheels.

That said, these obviously are amazing wheels. but for 90% of us, will never buy them, let alone trial them.
But as proved above, if you were given the chance of a life time to trial, the tables could well be turned.

I myself have obtained TOKEN T50's by means of "In the right place, at the right time, for the right price"

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:57 pm

I've trialed a couple of sets of wheels from my LBS. Mavic cosmic carbones and some zipps.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:04 pm

pawnii wrote:Sorry to hijack but I thought you might be interested.
This is what happened to my 45 clinchers coming down Mt Baw Baw in 35degree heat last weekend.
Yes I cooked them within the first 2kms with a set of SwissStops. Hopefully they're covered under the 5yr warranty.
Funny thing is that i didn't have a blow out. Both tubes and tyres are fine.
Shitzenhausen. :cry:
Were you dragging the brakes or pulsing them? I've never ridden that road so don't know how hard/steep it is to descend. I'm guessing you were on the brakes pretty hard though to do that though
Apparently Reynolds blue are a bit more gentle on the rims, I have both and the Reynolds are definitely softer.
I have some tubular Tokens but have never done any serious climbing or descending on them. Dont think I will after seeing that. :o
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:41 pm

warthog1 wrote:
This is what happened to my 45 clinchers coming down Mt Baw Baw in 35degree heat last weekend.
Yes I cooked them within the first 2kms with a set of SwissStops. Hopefully they're covered under the 5yr warranty.
Were you dragging the brakes or pulsing them? I've never ridden that road so don't know how hard/steep it is to descend. I'm guessing you were on the brakes pretty hard though to do that though
Apparently Reynolds blue are a bit more gentle on the rims, I have both and the Reynolds are definitely softer.
I have some tubular Tokens but have never done any serious climbing or descending on them. Dont think I will after seeing that. :o
He question should be... Why not the factory pads?

peg_legdh

Postby peg_legdh » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 am

I really wnat a set of these but that photo is a little worrying. Keep us posted on how the warranty goes.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:
I had no choice but to drag the brakes after the first km when they started to fade.
If Enve replace them under warranty I'll have to use Enve brakes from now on as it's part of the warranty requirement.
IMHO the wheels would have been ok if they were newish. Mine are around 3 years old, flown down many mountains and the brake track was getting to the end of it's life.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:19 pm

He question should be... Why not the factory pads?
No reason. I always thought SwissStop Yellow King FlashPro was the best carbon brake pads.

I really wnat a set of these but that photo is a little worrying. Keep us posted on how the warranty goes.
Don't let this put you off. I'd buy another set of Enve hoops in a heart beat. They've been perfect for 3yrs up until Baw Baw. I've put them through hell on all kinds of surfaces and descents and they've stayed true the whole time.
I've even ran them into my garage door on the roof of my car 3 times and they haven't failed. Frame was crushed and hub bearings died but hoops were perfect 8)
I'll keep you posted on the warranty thing.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:11 am

pawnii wrote: I've even ran them into my garage door on the roof of my car 3 times and they haven't failed.
:shock: Was that 3 times in a row Homer Simpson style "Why won't this car fit into the garage, I'll try again.....and again". Sorry to make fun but this is exactly the reason I bought a tow ball mounted bike carrier. I reckon I would smashed heaps of bikes by now if I didn't.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 am

Ha ha i wasn't quite that stupid...but not too far off.
After hitting the garage i put the car in reverse and backed out. This is what caused the frame to snap as the handlebars were still hooked onto the garage door.

Scott Foil R2

Scott Addict LTD
2012 Scott Foil Premium

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:16 pm

pawnii wrote:
I had no choice but to drag the brakes after the first km when they started to fade.
If Enve replace them under warranty I'll have to use Enve brakes from now on as it's part of the warranty requirement.
IMHO the wheels would have been ok if they were newish. Mine are around 3 years old, flown down many mountains and the brake track was getting to the end of it's life.
Fair enough. I have never done a long steep descent like that. The longest I have done is Donna Buang, and its not that steep.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:17 pm

pawnii wrote:

Scott Foil R2

Scott Addict LTD
:( :cry:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:27 pm

Nice work Pawnii :shock: ... it is the reason I will never by a roof rack!, seen it happen on the motorway tolls a few times here, not pretty.

Tbird

Postby Tbird » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Holy cow that is scary :shock:

Haven't been on mine this week as Im away on hols will update once I get around to riding in the New Year

Speaking of which have a Happy New Year to all
2013 Kona Paddy Wagon
2012 BH Ultralight Enve
2011 GT Zaskar Carbon Pro
2007 Apollo Record
2009 Apollo Record

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:49 am

Organizers of a large Californian gran fondo with significant descents strongly discourage carbon wheel usage.
http://levisgranfondo.desk.com/customer ... her-wheels

This is a good read
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/a ... afe-34521/

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:04 am

Update.
Enve will be replacing both rims with new ones under warranty :D
I didn't even have to send them the damaged ones to them. Just had to provide photos.
I have to cut the serial numbers out of the damaged rims and send them pictures of it. I guess they want to make sure they can't be used.
It's a shame I just brought myself a new set of Zipp 303s :?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:49 am

pawnii wrote:Update.
I didn't even have to send them the damaged ones to them. Just had to provide photos.
I have to cut the serial numbers out of the damaged rims and send them pictures of it. I guess they want to make sure they can't be used.
It's a shame I just brought myself a new set of Zipp 303s :?
That's awesome!

I'm hearing more positive reports on the wheels. Apart from having to sell children to pay for them it's all good! :mrgreen:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Did they provide the same unconditional warranty, or exclude Mt Baw Baw descents?
I know what I'd do with em when they arrived :D

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm

That's a great result. Gives me more reason to lust after a set of ENVE hoops.

Although at the other end of the price scale I am receiving a replacement wheel set from Swiss Side as my rear rim has hairline cracks on every fourth spoke nipple. Sent them pics and answered a few questions relating to usage and they arrive sometime this week.Image

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 am

winstonw wrote:
Did they provide the same unconditional warranty, or exclude Mt Baw Baw descents?
I know what I'd do with em when they arrived :D
Yes! unconditional warranty for the remainder of my 5yr period...which is 2yrs.
I doubt i'll going down Baw Baw every again....just up it :twisted:
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Tbird

Postby Tbird » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Great to hear Pawnii have just received my Chris King 3.4s and have given them a quick ride can't wait to give them some more serious kms over this year.

As for the warranty it was one of the main reasons I purchased these wheels in the first place.
2013 Kona Paddy Wagon
2012 BH Ultralight Enve
2011 GT Zaskar Carbon Pro
2007 Apollo Record
2009 Apollo Record