Commute Year in review

gretaboy

Commute Year in review

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 am

I guess it is that time of year to reflect on the commuting year and the things that stood out.

For me

1. Going head first into a truck and surviving with nothing other than a few scratches and soreness
2. Riding in total over 12 000 kilometres

what have been the highlights fro others??

VRE

Re: Commute Year in review

Postby VRE » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 pm

I've just about completed my commuting year, and have totalled just over 14,000km from the commuting alone (will be closer to 14,500km by end of week). I've somehow managed not to skip a bicycle commute for 3.5 years now, i.e. have ridden my bike to and from work on every work day (excluding annual leave & public holidays). Of course, some of those days have been really hot, or pouring with rain, but it's all time on the bike, so it's worth it! :mrgreen: It helps that my current home location gives me a good commuting route to and from work, and the best bit is that I spend about 2.5 hours a day commuting :D .

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:17 pm

1. Rained so hard that I rode through a foot deep river, screamed from the sweat running into my eyes that day, washed from the rain :(
2. Had my epic prang in July. Seemed to have fully recovered which is nice, faster than ever :lol:
3. Ridden probably 8000kms despite a 6 week layoff. My odo says 4907 since April this year, and it is missing the 6 weeks and another bunch of weeks when it wasn't installed on the bike. Rough average of 166kms is pretty awesome hehehhehe although it does include some weekend stuff.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Pretty quiet commuting year this year. The only story is that of the bike itself becoming more scarred and worn as time passes. A bit like its owner :)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:49 pm

• Continuing my unbroken string of riding to work every working day - I haven't missed one for a bit over 4 years - Nov 5, 2008
  • Setting a new PB TWICE! To get to my target for the year - the target was an aspiration, not a realistic figure. As it ws it was done at a canter (it was a midl winte wasn't it?) I revised it up substantially and ambitiously and have made that too. And still a fortnight to spare! :mrgreen:
  • Besting everyone else at work in the ride-to-work challenge.
Of those the first was expected and the others were just bonuses.

Not directly commuting related, but still added to the good vibes are:
  • I got to ride around the streets and highways of mauritius. I'd love to go back and do some more.
  • Shoulders and things holding together so well that I am back onto the giraffe - expect to see me riding it to perth occasionally. :mrgreen:
(My wife brings the shirts in.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:56 pm

1.reaching my goal...injury free and "stack" free :)
2.incredibly only ONE puncture this year :P
3.enjoying the stillness of pre dawn riding over the Mt.Henry bridge in winter :?
4.becoming more confident riding on vehicular roads :wink:
5.marvelling as the volume of rider numbers swell when the weather warms up! :wink:
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Began doing my once-a-week commute...

...so naturally, I needed to build up a bike to do it with...

...which has spent the last few weeks gathering dust, 'cause I've discovered that if I use my MTB I can add a lap of Manly Dam to my homeward commute. 8)
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 am

Zero punctures (not counting blowing out a valve stem when pumping up a tube)
One stack (solo effort)
Two unnecessary gear hub rebuilds (just for the fun of it)
~3600 km according to the calculator
Got iPhone (free) and Velocio and learned how long it takes each way, plus important stuff like peak speeds. Then turned it off after a week because I don't care about data.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

* Commuted for the whole year.
* Sold my car and used the proceeds to buy my Gazelle E-Bike.
* Learned about exercise induced asthma and how anti-biotics aren't any good for asthma (there are Doctors then there are Doctors).
* Lost about 10-12kg.
* Learned a bit about fuelling my body (but still learning)
* Had a few inward laughs when co-workers whined about the cost of major repairs done to their cars or when their Rego was due

Roll on 2013 :mrgreen:
2012 Oppy A4

sb944

Postby sb944 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Bought my first adult bike in late July, spent much of the next two months travelling interstate, but managed a few commutes to get the ball rolling, then pretty a regular out there.

* Rode every work day, rain or shine for 3 months in a row to the day, before a work party on Friday forced me to ride the bus once (bus trip doubled my commute time too)
* Saved $610 so far on my normal 10 ride bus tickets
* Spent $2753 on two bikes, and plenty of accessories
* Rode 2530kms
* Lost 9kgs of weight (my tough goal a few months ago was 10kg by Christmas, and I think I'll still make that)
* Many strava top tens and a couple of KOM's while commuting
* Stacked once, but not on a commute, plenty of punctures
* Most importantly, haven't once felt like catching a bus to work, having a ball pretty much every trip

Great thread, everyone is doing well.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:30 pm

G'day,

Let's see - first post for me, lurking for a few month now.

1) Got rid of my old crappy bike I had not ridden since 2002 via the Bicycles for Humanity thing (I think that was this year?)
2) Got a new one, and have clocked up around 400 km since mid September - it's a tiny commute - 7.2 km round trip
3) Have avoided trucks and all sorts of ninnies on my ride through the industrial area bits, and semi awake suburban drivers heading off to work with their windows all misted up in the mornings, and acres of broken glass outside the local pub.
4) Have felt about 300% better generally, and have found the perfect antidote to my sedentary desk type job.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers,

Time

sb944

Postby sb944 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:50 am

Nice first post, sounds like 2013 will be a big year for you.

mclala

Postby mclala » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Well it's been a great year for me as well.

1) Bought my first bike in March
2) Started commuting May 2 days a week
3) Bought my second bike late July :)
4) Started to add some diversions to my commute (Willoughby-Bobbin Head-CBD)
5) Smashed my target KM's for the year (nearly 50% over now)

oh and lost 18kg while enjoying every minute of it.

Bring on 2013!
Giant Defy Composite 3

westab

Postby westab » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:35 pm

Its been a good year Commuting this year. The old Repco that I spend rebuilding last Christmas time is still a pleasure to ride.

The highlights of the year for me are:
-will complete 5000km commuting for the year next week.
-the reliability of the Repco Superlite
-the pleasure of riding a bit more regularly with my work mate.
-Riding with the wife and kids (both to get places and for pleasure)
-Being able to complete all servicing of my own bikes (including wheel building)
-Most importantly simply being out there riding.

Have a Happy Christmas and a good New Year to all.

Andrew
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:57 pm

~6300km so far this year, most of which is commuting 192 days (lots of leave)
0 flats (marathon plus for the win)
0 crashes (came close a few times)
~12kg lost
Learnt how to maintain my bike myself
Bought lots of bike toys (many not really for commuting but I still include it) and tools so only saved $249 over public transport
But saved ~$3700 vs driving a car to work (petrol, parking, maintenance, insurance, rego, opportunity cost... (We'd need a 2nd car to drive to work))
...not many "hobbies" or "sports" that actually save you money are there... :)
Saw Santa, a red backed fairy wren, a huge carpet snake, a wallaby, ... (suburban Brisbane)
Had some scary moments with cars ... and magpies ... and suicidal scrub turkeys
Had a lot of fun

Milar

Postby Milar » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:29 pm

* First full year with no practical options other than riding to work.
* Set myself a stretch goal of 6000km and made it with over a month the spare.
* 2 stacks, both in the wet and both my own stupidness :oops:
- first was torrential rain and I went to swing wide of a deep puddle at speed and lost the front wheel off the edge of the submerged path!
- Second was me daydreaming and cornering on a steel grid boardwalk covered with morning dew.
- Found my excellent ergon GC3 bar ends hit the ground first and flick up into my ribs hard! Besides the 6-8 weeks to heal, my left ribcage is noticeably a different shape to my right now. Didn't stop me commuting! :D
* Several flats in the first half but none in the second half of the year after moving to gaterskins.
* Completed my first 100k ride - now they seem pretty easy :shock:
* Joined Strava and became a little obsessed
* Now self-admiring my improved physique; wife also approves 8)
* Almost never go the shortest way to work any more
* Looking forward to more in 2013

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Very enjoyable year commuting, every working day, all weather.

I only broke my streak today by driving for the first day this year, on the last day of my working year. I had some domestic errands I needed to run before and after work which necessitated the car unfortunately. Despite the unusually light traffic, I was jealous of the bikes passing me as I sat in traffic a couple of times.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Commuted 95% of the time. When I've had to work away the car gets used.
Got some really good commute routes I can take with very little traffic. Really enjoying the hills, where we used to live was flat. Only had a few bogan car driver incidents, nearly hit a roo though.
I've found when I do take the car I'm relatively flat at work. Exercise definitely gives you a lift. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:16 am

A good commuting year:

Set an ambitious target last year and got there, slightly more KMs this year so I went over 7,000KMs for the year.
1 puncture for the whole year.
Added a small extra bit to my commute in so getting more KMs per day.

All good really.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:41 am

DavidS wrote:A good commuting year:

Set an ambitious target last year and got there, slightly more KMs this year so I went over 7,000KMs for the year.
1 puncture for the whole year.
Added a small extra bit to my commute in so getting more KMs per day.

All good really.

DS
ah yes - I also did have 1 puncture this year, making a total of 2 puntures in 3.5 years of bike commuting over 20,000kms. In the previous 3 years over a similar distance (maybe 25-30,000kms) I also had 2 punctures in the car.

I know some have way more but I still think its much better than the traffic delays etc you get in a car or bus etc. Preaching to the converted here though :-)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:48 pm

1) Completed over 12,000km in a single year
2) managed a full year without breaking another bike frame! (I switched to Titanium)
3) completed my first double century ride (210km)
4) progressed to "all weather rider" status (thanks disc brakes!)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:53 pm

No car for any work day this year, which is a first.
Promoting commuting at work, there are now several other regulars, it used to only just be me.
Getting 26 riders for Ride2Work Day.
New commuter bike, which I am very happy with (apart from the saddle!)
Only one puncture for the year.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm

Well, it looks like Perth is going to continue blazing out there so I will just be riding the minimal distances to get to and from the train this arvo.

So, while I will have another 6 or so km to add tonight, I am bringing the curtain down and declaring my years riding at 7,835km (I have added the 6km already). I can't see me setting a higher target next year but I am still expecting to enjoy lots of good weather which should also return a good many hours riding in the fresh air.

It has been a remarkable year for me. I managed again to get to work on the unicycle every day regardless of weather or injury or breakages.

After several years of injury/surgery/interpuption my general health and wellbeing is, for the second consecutive year, better than it was at start. Substantially due to more and more riding. At my stage in life that is as good as you can demand.

I have conquered any awkwardness (yes, there was a time) that I may have had and now find it useful and pleasing instead. I'm a social animal and I like having people stopping me and engaging in chit chat. And people are always generous in their compliments.

For the first time my direct cycling expenses including substantial (for unicycle) repairs and extras was more than met just from savings on public transport.

A number of relatives and acquaintenances have this year joined the dots and identified me. A small few can (or could) ride a uni so perhaps I will get to see a bit more with them.

Both my surgeon and I are happy with my shoulder. I am less worried about my riding being cut short by hip or knee and other problems. I am also able to get back on the giraffe after a break of two years.

And I am hoping that that the great weather will bring out lots of company out there. As it did in 2012.

Happy trails guys. And

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi Colin, I read your post to my wife, Gabby, and her response was "Wow!! His gonads must be like rocks!"
From me - well done... An inspiration to all of us!
Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 pm

hmm it seems my testicles are now a point of public interest. who'd a thunk.

contrary to my earlier post I did wind up riding the long ride home. threw train service gave up due to "technical reasons ". I'm over the effort and relaxing in a movie theatre. great end.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2