Cyclocross refit

rdwaltonut

Cyclocross refit

Postby rdwaltonut » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Just wondering if any road frame, within reason, can be converted to a cyclocross bike, given you change out the tyres and the brakes.
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." -Yoda-

barefoot

Re: Cyclocross refit

Postby barefoot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Well... you can ride any road bike in a CX race without converting it, if you want. You'll probably want for more traction and mud clearance, but there's certainly no rules against it.

A CX bike is, essentially, a road bike with clearance for bigger tyres and mud. That's the only reason why the brakes are different - because normal calipers won't fit over a 35mm knobbie tyre. Cantilevers have long been used when extra clearance is needed - on touring bikes with fat tyres (and often with fenders), then on early mountain bikes. Also, all the while, on CX bikes in Europe, before the English speaking world was let in on the secret.

If your road frame doesn't have mounts for cantilever brakes, you're going to have the same tyre/mud clearance issues regardless what type of caliper you fit. That's going to be your limitation.

Beyond that... CX bikes have evolved to fit a bit differently, but again, that's all about personal preference, not about rules and what's "allowed".

tim

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:49 pm

Within reason... yes.
If it is for racing ... maybe, maybe not.
Tyre clearance may be an issue... can you fit 30-35mm tyres.
Mud clearance will be an issue... if it ever rains where you are.
You won't be able to run canti brakes... so will be stuck with road brakes ( less power and little clearance ).
Different geometry... CX frames have long rear triangles ( for stability ) and different geometry up front, may or may not be a big deal.
Apart from that a CX frame is just a roadie frame... I have been training on my CX bike on the road this winter and just changing the tyres for the weekend races.

rjk

Postby rjk » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:45 am

my salsa casseroll has the long reach road calipers and can fit 42mm tyres on it 35mm comfortably, its steel and has been built for it.

It also has horizontal drpouts so can be converted to a ss as well.

so depending on what the bike is it could very well be possible
Boardman CX pro now the commuter, Salsa Casseroll, Trek Domane

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:42 pm

I made my Kona Dew flat bar into a ghettocross bike. Got some cheap bars off BNA, chucked on superannuated brifters from my roadie, and bought some cantis; I've forgotten the type, but some cantis will work with roadie brifters.

It worked OK until it was stolen after its first or second race. :cry: Not as good as my 105 level Merida Cyclocross 4 or my wife's Ultegra level Merida 5, but for my tastes it was good enough for CX fun and MUCH better as a commuter than in flat bar format.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Chris249 wrote:and bought some cantis; I've forgotten the type, but some cantis will work with roadie brifters.
I thought all canti's work with road brifters?... problem is you can't mount canti's to your standard road bike as there is no where to put them!.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:27 am

toolonglegs wrote:
Chris249 wrote:and bought some cantis; I've forgotten the type, but some cantis will work with roadie brifters.
I thought all canti's work with road brifters?... problem is you can't mount canti's to your standard road bike as there is no where to put them!.
Yep, same leverage ratios. You need a longer cable pull for Vs
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:16 am

From memory, the first Treadlie magazine had a write up on converting a bike for cyclocross. They used a Shogun Metro frame I'm pretty sure, which come with canti mounts and longer chain stays. They fitted some drop bars, bar end shifters and appropriate gearing, and off they went.

Shogun Metro's are great framesets in my opinion. The old steel ones that is. Very versatile.

I'm sure there are other equivalents about...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 am

The other point of difference is a CX has the front der cable run along the top tube to a top pull der....
Cable running under the down tube will more regularly get fouled by mud.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:50 am

winstonw wrote:The other point of difference is a CX has the front der cable run along the top tube to a top pull der....
Cable running under the down tube will more regularly get fouled by mud.
I am tempted to change my bike to a top pull derailleur, my pulley system works well even in heavy mud but I am wondering if getting rid of it will stop mud accumulating around that area... a little bit anyway!. Plus Shimano CX70 derailleurs are better shaped for the smaller chain rings, not that I have much trouble with front changes.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am

toolonglegs wrote:
Do'h....

You're right - now I remember that I fitted the cantis to replace the Vee brakes the bike had, so that the brifters would work the brakes. They were rather difficult to adjust because I couldn't get the adjustment barrels properly sorted.

Someone made bolt-on canti bosses but I'm not sure how good they are and whether they are still available.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

sturmey archer

Postby sturmey archer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:48 am

WestcoastPete wrote: Shogun Metro's are great framesets in my opinion. The old steel ones that is. Very versatile.
... and rather heavy. 4.16 Kg Frame + Forks + headset !! I'm just in the process or rebuilding one myself.
1.370" x 24 tpi - what sort of stupid standard is that?

JonoMarshall

Postby JonoMarshall » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:30 pm

You can get bolt-on bosses (same bosses as v-brakes), but the jubilee clips (or similar) that attach them are far from ideal... talk to your local frame builder and get them braised on.

For trying CX you can't go wrong with an old MTB, cheap and cheerful.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:48 pm

here's some i did earlier...
a hybrid (??) frame i found on kerb. Coulda been a Shogun..seen some similarities. I mated it to a generic canti fork, some old 7 speed roadie wheels and bars,mtb cantis and one bar-con shifter (1x7).
I sold that and made:
a MTB frame 700c'd with discs and ergo shifters (1x8). Yet to see its first race.
Both ride/rode well...real well. They probably both needed to go on a diet, but so do I. Weight wasn't a factor...only $$$.

I have looked hard at converting a 'nice' road frame...a Kenevans at that, but as TLL says mud clearance is factor (for racing mostly). Ken will take 32mm CX tyre but with no clearance and i would have to braze on canti mounts....or a disc tab :twisted: And their isn't much choice in 1 " canti forks on the market. Still thinking about it though.

Other option is ebay.nl dutchies go crazy for the mudplugging and there are tons of steel CX frames for sale.
Once again value is in the eye of the beerholder. Both of these bikes have been built for less than $500...so i can buy more beer!