Help with buying a used road bike

kunalraiker

Help with buying a used road bike

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 am

I lost my MTB recently, looking to get a road bike for evening rides (fitness perspective).
I'am looking at spending $200-$350, what I need help with is the usual pointers.
What do I need to know about a bike in that price range.
Age, Components, frame, brands.

Thanking All for your comments.

Chris249

Re: Help with buying a used road bike

Postby Chris249 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:19 pm

With so many bikes built but second hand availability varying so much, it's hard to give good info on specific brands, etc.

However, when I got back onto a bike I bought a year-old Shimano 2200/Sora bike (a Viventi Como) through BNA for $500. I've trained, commuted and raced on it for about three years (although the workload is shared between 2 or 3 other bikes). One of the Sora brifters died and had to be replaced, and I've since upgraded just about everything - not because the rest of the 2200/Sora wore out, but because other gear off other bikes became available.

Basically, the cheapie has been brilliant value for money. From my limited experience, I would not go below 2200/Sora level components. Wheel life seems to depend on how much abuse you give them -people will give wildly varying reports on identical wheels.

Bikes of similar quality, older but well maintained can be found here and on Bicycle Exchange and will be a whole lot of fun.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Bought a 2011 Avanti GIRO 2

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:16 am

8) Now get out and ride it. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:36 am

Guys,

Got the tube repaired , also purchased a few accessories.
Will post photos tomorrow once I give it a good clean.

Now does anyone know whether soapy water cleaning is ok ?
Also with the mechanicals what would be a good cheap de-greaser (spray preferable -bunnings ?)
Also some cheap lube.

PS I did get the clipless pedals and shoes combo from this place,
http://www.ebay.com....#ht_1976wt_1186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all in all with the shoes was $79.00
Taking off the shoes from the pedal is not the easiest thing

Also during my maiden ride today noticed that my back was hurting a bit, should I lower the seat or bring the handlebar up.

I did get the canelli cork tape, really cool looking

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:37 am

Good stuff mate - looking forward to the pics.

I did a heap of internet research and basically set my bikes up roughly to the 'Lemond' style as far as seat height, etc, went. It was in the ballpark and only required slight adjustments as I went - I am no expert however, so you have to find your own zone.

Soreness is typical for the first period - as your body is still getting used to the bike and cycling, but if it does not diminish after a few miles / rides, set-up is a likely suspect.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Some pictures from morning.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:16 am

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:26 am

Guys,
I need to get a cheap bike computer that can show me Strava details also provide me cadence information.
Do we have any decent and cheap tools out there that could not load too much weight and also provide accurate information.

Fraggle

Postby Fraggle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 am

Well done on your purchase. It looks a solid ride.

As to your question about Strava details I suggest that if you have a smartphone use the Strava app. And yes I know that it won't track cadence but there are other bike computers that will do that ie Cateye V2c. And you could maybe pick up one them 2nd hand

But in short the Garmin Edge 500 is probably the go but without saying what your budget is I can't really recommend anything else. Now having said that a bike computer will stay with from bike to bike so I would suggest that the investment in a good Bike computer will pay for itself later.

Good luck & safe riding

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Fraggle wrote:Well done on your purchase. It looks a solid ride.

As to your question about Strava details I suggest that if you have a smartphone use the Strava app. And yes I know that it won't track cadence but there are other bike computers that will do that ie Cateye V2c. And you could maybe pick up one them 2nd hand

But in short the Garmin Edge 500 is probably the go but without saying what your budget is I can't really recommend anything else. Now having said that a bike computer will stay with from bike to bike so I would suggest that the investment in a good Bike computer will pay for itself later.

Good luck & safe riding
Hi Fraggle,

Thanks for your recommendation, I have seen some used Edge 301's floating around.
Would they be any lesser of a buy then the 500's, especially with what I want to do with the unit.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I just realised I can get an ANT+ USB device and then use STRAVA on my smartphone to talk to cadence sensor.