Campy ergo 11 speed spring problem

rtnicho

Campy ergo 11 speed spring problem

Postby rtnicho » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:49 am

Seasons greetings all
While trying to get a problem cable end out of my RHS shifters the spring lost its tension. There are a few YouTube vids on re-tensioning the 8-10 speeds but the 11 speed spring looks quite different. Anyone done this?
Cheers
Roger

geoffs

Re: Campy ergo 11 speed spring problem

Postby geoffs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 pm

As far as I know the 11spd mechs aren't user servicable

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Ok full disclaimer this is my experience but I'm not going to recommend anyone try this.
I incorrectly installed the gear cable in an 11 speed Athena ultra shift lever, the cable missed the hole in the index gear and the cable end got lost in the mechanism and for the life of me I couldn't retrieve it, I could see it but it was stuck. Being impatient to get riding I started to dismantle the lever mechanism from the handle bar end. The central pivot bolt can be removed with a 3mm allen key. I carefully removed each part in order making sure to remember the order until I was able to dislodge the cable end. Replacing the coil spring was tricky but I found if I hooked the end of the spring on the locater, when I replaced the remaining parts and retightened the pivot bolt the spring re tensioned fully and snapped into position.
I think the levers are serviceable however Campagnolo isn't selling the individual parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nr35wCxlFs
Be careful because I think dumb luck worked in my favour.
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks Peter. In looking at the vid in the link, the innards of the shifters shown were quite different to mine. The spring in particular was much smaller. Hmmmm I'm thinking time for a trip to the Campy people. I'm sure they'll be cheap :shock:

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:24 pm

rtnicho wrote:Thanks Peter. In looking at the vid in the link, the innards of the shifters shown were quite different to mine. The spring in particular was much smaller. Hmmmm I'm thinking time for a trip to the Campy people. I'm sure they'll be cheap :shock:
That's the safest option, any decent bike shops around you know of that specialize in Campagnolo?
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

rtnicho

Postby rtnicho » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 am

Don't know yet. I'm in Adelaide-will have a ring around.