What would you do

old al

What would you do

Postby old al » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:29 pm

I am thinking of buying a classic Italian frame and building it up with a modern full Italian build. Campag, Cinelli, you know what I am about. It will be expensive but give me a lot of pleasure to restore the frame and build it up. Or should I just buy this?

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102121240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Every thing I want to build ready made.

Al.

greyhoundtom

Re: What would you do

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:52 pm

That is real nice :wink:

Marto

Postby Marto » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:58 pm

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Buy and build.

With something like this it's not really about having the bike. The journey is the thing. The endless fussing over every last detail of the build. Hunting for just the right this and that is half the fun.

Building a bike is an act of self expression. Buying a bike is an act of crass consumerism (although admittedly fun!).
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:15 pm

JustJames wrote:Buy and build.

With something like this it's not really about having the bike. The journey is the thing. The endless fussing over every last detail of the build. Hunting for just the right this and that is half the fun.

Building a bike is an act of self expression. Buying a bike is an act of crass consumerism (although admittedly fun!).
+1 to this.Especially the frame, which you got of that guy with tons of classic old stuff in his shed and didn't want anything as "modern" as a mid 80s Italian frame. And those gum hoods that you swapped the touring pedals for, you got a good swap with that one. Don't forget the quick release, where you bought the whole bike just to get them and then sold the rest of the bike on the forums.

When you know where every part came from and what you paid for it, and when you know the name of the guy who made your frame and the name of the woman who painted it - better still when you've met them....that's what it's all about.

old al

Postby old al » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:14 am

Yeah, buy the frame and go from there seems to be the way to go. Maybe I could buy a vintage Gios frame and build that.

Al.

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:33 am

old al wrote:I am thinking of buying a classic Italian frame and building it up
Great, every gear head should build up a bike from scratch at least once in their lifetime.......
old al wrote:you know what I am about.
Indeed.

+1 more to buy and build - never 100% smooth sailing but it's about the experience as much as the destination.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

munga

Postby munga » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:44 pm

that gios sure is pretty, but looks disappointingly expensive next to something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gios-Torino-P ... 19d7775bcd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:53 pm

munga wrote:that gios sure is pretty, but looks disappointingly expensive next to something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gios-Torino-P ... 19d7775bcd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does that look like a crack in the top of the seat tube or just my imagination?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Mate at work went through two Gios frames, both cracked at the BB.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Snicks

Postby Snicks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Whatever you do I hope we get to see a final product...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:26 am

Build it yourself. You sound like you've already decided in your post....

The only exception would be if you're required to have an older bike for racing/club purposes, and can't wait 12 months for the bike to materialise. In which case, you would need to buy for time constraint. You didn't mention that in your post, so there is your answer. 8)

old al

Postby old al » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:19 am

Xplora wrote:Build it yourself. You sound like you've already decided in your post....

The only exception would be if you're required to have an older bike for racing/club purposes, and can't wait 12 months for the bike to materialise. In which case, you would need to buy for time constraint. You didn't mention that in your post, so there is your answer. 8)
Got heaps of time. I have a carbon Avanti for racing (masters) and have built up 5 other bikes but I want this one to be a long term project and as spot on as I can get it and completely Italian. I will wait 'till after the holidays and start casting around for the frame then away I go!

Al.