Wheel brake surface filler

Lots of steel bikes

Wheel brake surface filler

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm

I have a ding on the braking surface of an aluminium road wheel. Is there any filler that could be used to fix the problem? i imagine filling, sanding and smoothing. Problem gone.

ironhanglider

Re: Wheel brake surface filler

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:I have a ding on the braking surface of an aluminium road wheel. Is there any filler that could be used to fix the problem? i imagine filling, sanding and smoothing. Problem gone.
Hmm sounds like 'gutter bite' to me, it is the wages of sin. You have been mean to your rim and now it is punishing you. I seriously doubt that filler will have the same abrasive properties as aluminium. In which case I predict that you'd get grabby braking when the affected area passed through the brakes, followed by the removal of the filler entirely to leave the surface exactly as it is now, with any grooves in the pads filled up with gunk.

I have heard of people bending the rim back into shape, I gather there is a special tool for this for shop use, but individuals typically use a 6" shifter or a hammer and rod. Note that the rim will never be the same again and even if repaired you will be looking at replacing the rim sooner rather than later, depending on use.

Cheers,

Cameron

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:15 am

Permatex Liquid Metal Filler from Supercheap Auto may be worth a try.........but I certainly could not guarantee that it would provide a lasting fix.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:09 am

Hammer-dolly-file. repeat. ???

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:27 pm

boyracer wrote:Hammer-dolly-file. repeat. ???
That might just work! i just hope there is enough room to get a sutable hitting angle.