Shimano Wheel Dura Ace C24

kimmie

Shimano Wheel Dura Ace C24

Postby kimmie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:43 pm

hi guys,

I have another newbie question... the following information was taken from a Shimano Dura Ace C24 wheel specification:

• High lateral rigidity is produced with a 3 mm offset asymmetric rim and wide flange spacing

My n00b question is, what does it mean with 'asymmetric rim'? does it mean one side's shape is different with the other?

sorry for a st00pid n00bs question... :-(
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

twizzle

Re: Shimano Wheel Dura Ace C24

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Rear wheel. Because the cassette is so wide, the drive-side spokes are almost vertical and don't provide much lateral stiffness, so they move the spoke holes towards the non-drive side to increase lateral stiffness, and it also evens out the spoke tension. Non-drive side spokes are normally at a lower tension and are more likely to fail from fatigue. Other solutions are to run less spokes or radial spoking or thinner spokes on the non-drive side.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks twizzle...

so that means, the 'spokes' on the drive-side will have different length then those on the other side? wouldn't that means instead of shaped like a perfectly symetrical flying saucer (seen from a side) with the rim being in the centre (symetric), it shaped *sort of* like an umbrella?

sorry but it still beyond my comprehension how that shape can be useful as a bicycle wheel....

twizzle wrote:Rear wheel. Because the cassette is so wide, the drive-side spokes are almost vertical and don't provide much lateral stiffness, so they move the spoke holes towards the non-drive side to increase lateral stiffness, and it also evens out the spoke tension. Non-drive side spokes are normally at a lower tension and are more likely to fail from fatigue. Other solutions are to run less spokes or radial spoking or thinner spokes on the non-drive side.

Sent from my iThingy...

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16 pm

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:28 am

it does!

Thanks A_P! :-)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:23 pm

The drive side and non-drive side spokes are actually the same length (302mm). I presume Shimano builds the left and right hub flanges to ensure the spoke lengths are equal. Probably reduces costs as well.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:11 am

Hi all,

Further question re: this wheel.

How can I convert this wheel as tubeless? Do I need a special tyre too, or can my old tyre (Michelin Pro Race) be used? What sort of things I need to purchase to convert it to tubeless?

Apologise for the n00bs questions.

Thanks heaps.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Find the tubeless thread.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...