SPeedPLAY ZeROS HELP!!!!

HoldYaLine

SPeedPLAY ZeROS HELP!!!!

Postby HoldYaLine » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:48 pm

just got my speedplay zero stainless pedals today, and like all LBS's they told me to get in a hallway, and practice practice practice. Now, the first half an hour of my endeavour sucked. I couldn't clip in no matter how much force my beautifully formed and toned quadracep could push on to it. I loosened the screws, and put some wd 40 on it, and with much force, i managed to clip in. Clipping out was easy. so i tried again to clip in, so harddd. Anyway, i am in a sweat right now, type with my shoes on and my bike under me. I am stomping on these pedals, and i think i have finally found a little tecnique. though, the fastest i can clip in is around 11 seconds. Obviously, this is way to long when i start trying my new cleats and pedals on the road, so, do any owners of speedplays have tip or tricks?

Right now, it just isnt a viable option for me to strain and push and get frustrated every time the light goes green. The people i ride with all told me to get shoes, they said id be "Flying" and that i have real potential, they didnt know how i was keeping up.

The beneefits they spoke about riding clipless pedals, are ones that i really want to benefit from you know?

But right now, unless there is a miracle, i can't ride these safely and at a reasonable pace on the road.

I dream of getting to the stage, when, as advertised, i can literally place my foot on the pedal, and basically push a little, and be attached to my dream bike. It looks so easy, i see the guys with the speedplays in my bunch????.

I hope it will become this easy for me, any responses welcome,

Regards

Josh

drpants

Re: SPeedPLAY ZeROS HELP!!!!

Postby drpants » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:03 pm

I only have experience with SPD and SPD-SL but as far as I know it's not too much difference...

You have to find out the right angle to clip your foot in. Actually, positioning the cleats on your shoes in the right position will help a lot in making that feel natural.
With my pedals, your cleat has to be in the right position and I have to push down and forward to "slip" it in rather than push it in by brute force.

Go have a play outside, after 5-10 rides it'll be second nature
It's counter intuitive, but it's a hell of a lot easier clipping in when you're actually taking off due to the extra pressure and momentum you're putting on your pedals.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi,
When I first got mine I had the same problem.

What I found was that you don't overtighten the screws holding the last part of the cleat to your shoe.
Also when clipping in it seems to be more of a straight down stomping motion instead of a sliding clip in. Also a bit of lube on the cleats might help.

Sent from my thingimy chig using that other thing:-)

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 am

I have speedplays also. Am on my second set of speedplays, On this newer set i found it very difficult to clip in the first few times (maybe 2 rides worth) like you mentioned but eventually it will wear in and be very easy.
Also get some protector plates linked below on your next set of cleats or when u lube your current ones. It doesnt matter if u use a 3 hole adapter, it will make that adapter last a lot longer, when the adapter wears it allows for side to side tilt motion which is not good for the knees/ITB muscle!!!!.

http://www.this link is broken/speedplay-stain ... ear-plate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:59 am

It so uh ends like you my Havre put the spring clip upside down on the cleat.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:29 pm

It will become easier after a few rides as the springs 'break in'. A few drops of lube (prob not WD40), on the cleats will help. When you slip in, push down and do a slight twist of your foot. I find that this helps a lot.

Can I also suggest you getting some keep on kovers. I know Bikebug sells them here in Oz.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am

I had exactly the same problem. They seem to wear in luckily... :shock:

Now, they are all good. Just loosen the screws off until they are crazy loose... just enough to stop the whole thing moving.

dobby

Postby dobby » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:36 am

I ride Speedplays. Luckily enough a good mate gave me some great advice when I got them to sit there for about 1/2 an hour and basically clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out for as long as you can stand to break them in

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:31 pm

It will be worth it!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:21 pm

So, how did you go? ;)

Dave R32

Postby Dave R32 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:49 pm

It does sound like you have overtightened the 4 screws which hold the metal cover in place. These screws should be just nipped up, they have a locking compound on the thread so they don't back out.

Also as stated a small amount of chain lube on the C clip surfaces when you are installing the cleats will help as well.

Cheers
Dave.
Avanti Vivace = Sold | Trek Madone = Cracked | '12 Caad10 = Sold | Pinarello SDG3K | '14 Caad10 & Bianchi Pista

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

For the record, I used to get sore knees after harder rides. Since putting spedplays on the knees have been much better. :)

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Comedian wrote:For the record, I used to get sore knees after harder rides. Since putting spedplays on the knees have been much better. :)
+1

I actually put them on to help with my metasaral (spell check) problems but the first thing I noticed was a lack of knee soreness after races and power rides.

Need to buy some extensions for my foot problem but mine are starting to get easier to get in and out of, providing I have dry lubed them, otherwise a bit of a pita

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:30 am

I got the LBS to install my cleats (new SP user as of this morning) and I was stomping the hell out of the pedal to get the cleat to engage the first two times. I'm not sure about this half hour of stomping, it wasn't nearly that bad.

sunho

Postby sunho » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:29 am

you shouldnt have to stomp THAT hard.

have a look at the screws and unscrew a few turns the entry screw on the outside. Screw closer to the front

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Just lube the cleat, if they are hard to clip in then something is wrong they are really easy to clip in and out. Slightly tighter when new but easy non the less.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2