Video Camera who uses one?

Lukeyboy

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:22 am

herzog wrote:How did the Canons and Sonys of the world miss this boat so badly that a little guy steps up and creates a billion dollar business from nothing?
Simple. Different markets. Canon aren't really into the cheap video market so to say but Sony is now playing catchup and is utilising its software/techinical side to gain lost time. They tend to focus on mass consumer cameras (point and shoot cameras that a todler to grandma can use) and on high end photographic equipment. Only recently has that transitioned into consumer video production using their photographic products aswell. None is better than the other. Flatout quality wise GoPro holds nothing compared to them. Price wise gopros are in another world being a couple hundred bucks all up and not a few thousand for the lens + a few more thousand for the body. You can mount GoPros on nearly anything but cameras are very limited. GoPros are lighter than a bag of chips while cameras and lenses can weight more than some airlines allow for checked baggage. The GoPro might not be able to read a number plate 600m away but with my camera I sure can. The market for small action video cameras was very small and GoPro captured that market. Just as Fuji, Canon and Sony captured the high end professional video market. The first GoPro which was a film camera that only took photos wasn't a huge success at first but as it evolved over time it became a more powerful, more usable and way more marketable. They really only started to gain in popularity with the first of the HD Hero series (GoPro HD960). I think the GoPro Hero 3 is the 7th generation of camera that they have made.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:17 am

Lukeyboy wrote:
herzog wrote:How did the Canons and Sonys of the world miss this boat so badly that a little guy steps up and creates a billion dollar business from nothing?
Simple. Different markets. Canon aren't really into the cheap video market so to
Not sure I agree with this analysis. Sure canon makes broadcast gear and pro DSLRs, but they have also been heavily into innovative consumer gear.

They were one of the first to offer cheap waterproof P&S (the aqua snappy) and later they were first with the super compact designer digital cameras with video (read teenage girl market).

Totally missed the boat with this action camera market in my view.

This is borne out by the fact that the professional broadcast market has resorted to $300 Gopros for POV footage. Eg topgear, Mythbusters and the like.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:27 pm

By cheap video I meant small fixed video cameras that are available to the mass consumer market. Canon might do things like that but as i said before its still a whole different market. Small water proof cameras are still in the point and shoot market. Panasonic, Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Sony are all in those markets with different variations of waterproof cameras. Also take a look at how the video camera market has been heavily hit by digital cameras with HD video mode. Using Top Gear for POV shots using GoPros wasn't the best example. In certain situations they use GoPros because of the mounting options. But they also heavily use small broadcast hdtv cameras rather than GoPros because of their limited ability in certain areas/situations ie mostly lighting - in terms of highlights, noise control, time of day/night, cloudy/overcast/raining etc. Mythbusters is closer but then again that's what their market was aimed at. Another reason why GoPros have just exlpoded for the consumer markets are better internet resources (youtube/vimeo/data limits/connections), market expansion and other uses, memory sizes and prices for hard drives and memory cards. Earlier in the week I picked up a 3tb HDD for $130. Back in 2009/2010 $130 was lucky to get you a 1tb hdd or a 500gb external hdd. So it has to do with a whole differnt arrangment of things.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has any info on this camera from hardly normal?

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/homepage ... -case.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone tried this breed?

Cheers

Sent from my thingimy chig using that other thing:-)

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:44 pm

ozzymac wrote:Hi
Just wondering if anyone has any info on this camera from hardly normal?

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/homepage ... -case.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone tried this breed?

Cheers

Attachments included:
• Waterproof case (IPX8), depth rating: up to 3m
• Protective shield
• Handlebar seat-post mount
• Suction cup mount
• Helmet mount and belt

Specifications:
• Screen size: 2.0-inch
• Camera resolution: 1.3MP CMOS
• Camera lens: F3.1 f=9.3mm
• Camera zoom: 4x digital
• Video resolution:
- VGA: 640 x 480 at 60fps
- 720P: 1280 x 720 at 30fps
• Video file format: AVI
• Still image resolution: up to 5.0MP (2592 x 1,944)
• Image file format: JPEG
• Built-in microphone: Yes
• Video with sound: Yes
• Storage: microSD card up to 32GB (Not included)
• Video file size: Approx 6GB per hour
• PC interface: USB2.0
• Power source: 3.7V Li-ion built-in
• Power life: more than 1 hour from 2 - 4 hour charge
• Camera weight: 50 grams
• Camera dimensions: 67(L) x 47(W) x 29(D)mm

Built in battery, so you are not able to swap the battery over when out and about. Doesn't really tell you how long it lasts, just "more than 1 hour".
Uses AVI so file size will be quite large. Needs a class 10 memory card for 720P.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:17 am

Having just become the proud owner of the Contour+2, mounting the little sucker is my number one priority.

Luckily I happened to stumble across a great option using an Exposure light mount which has worked out awesomely. As with the light you just pull up on the red knob which releases the camera. (photos below)

Mounting block from the light bolts directly onto the back of the Contour
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:08 am

aha... now we know your threshold power, you haven't many secrets left!

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:28 am

toolonglegs wrote:aha... now we know your threshold power, you haven't many secrets left!
It's no secret.........not very high :( , but on the upside I can now video myself doing pathetically slow training rides :D

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi,
Where is the best place to get a gopro from?

Also is it worth paying the extra for the gopro 3?

Cheers

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:20 pm

ozzymac wrote:Hi,
Where is the best place to get a gopro from?

Also is it worth paying the extra for the gopro 3?

Cheers

Highly Tuned Athletes are taking preorders for their first batch of Hero3 Blacks for 2013 for early Jan at the moment as per their newsletter email yesterday. I bought mine from there on preorder in their December batch. I don't know if any Aus retail has stock at this stage.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Australian distributors such as Photo Continetial in Brisbane will be getting their stock for the Black edition in early Jan (hopefully).

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm

Are there any Contour users out there who can give me some advice on battery life or extending battery usage times ?

I went to use the camera for the first time (after a full charge the night before) & found it was totally dead ? I did leave the battery in the camera overnight ? Maybe that's a not the done thing ?

I'll jump on google & see what the consensus is, but in the meantime if anybody could shed some light on the topic, thanks in advance :wink:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Are there any Contour users out there who can give me some advice on battery life or extending battery usage times ?

I went to use the camera for the first time (after a full charge the night before) & found it was totally dead ? I did leave the battery in the camera overnight ? Maybe that's a not the done thing ?

I'll jump on google & see what the consensus is, but in the meantime if anybody could shed some light on the topic, thanks in advance :wink:

It does depend on the settings that you use.

It's great for commuting. However not so cool if you've got a big ride you'd like to capture. I dare say GoPro with battery pack wins that
2012 Oppy A4

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 am

KonaCommuter wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:Are there any Contour users out there who can give me some advice on battery life or extending battery usage times ?

It does depend on the settings that you use.

It's great for commuting. However not so cool if you've got a big ride you'd like to capture. I dare say GoPro with battery pack wins that
Thanks KC. The new Contour has a removable battery pack now so I could carry a spare & potentially have 5+ hours on a 32GB memory card.

My main concern was the battery losing charge overnight. I may have left the WiFi connection on or something else bizarre is going on here.

It's fully charged at the moment so I'll check the status first thing in the morning.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:17 pm

Mmmmm......camera still has full charge this morning. Must have been user error ?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Thanks KC. The new Contour has a removable battery pack now so I could carry a spare & potentially have 5+ hours on a 32GB memory card.
I think they always have had one ... my early model 1080P has a removable battery and carry a spare battery. I get around two hours out of a battery.

Andrew
Andrew

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:38 am

Contour Roam on special $185

http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/C ... mera-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Oppy A4

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:04 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Contour Roam on special $185
http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/C ... mera-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catch of the Day has the Roam + Waterproof case for sale at $188 shipped. I've seen it off and on for the past month or so around that price, sometimes cheaper when camera only:
http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/summer. ... s_id=55702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 am

Roam is the one with a built-in battery. Not easily replaced with a fresh battery. It may have a bearing on you decision to purchase.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Roam also can't do 60 frames per second (which you need to avoid the jelly-mould effect on a bike). (Although you can hack the firmware to do it).

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 pm

scirocco wrote:Roam also can't do 60 frames per second (which you need to avoid the jelly-mould effect on a bike). (Although you can hack the firmware to do it).
Thought they were also doing the ROAM2 (which does) for $229?
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 am

I now have a GoPro Hd Hero 3 Silver, as well as a GoPro Hd Hero 1. The battery life in the 3 is woeful in comparison. However the battery bacpac and batteries (for the bacpac) from the GoPro 1 and GoPro 2 work on the GoPro3. I now have the GoPro3, with the extra battery from the GoPro 1, on my helmet. The GoPro 1 is mounted on my seat post looking backwards.

Disable the wireless, as it sucks battery life and upgrade the firmware as it fixes a lot of glitches in the camera.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Ideas for mounting a gopro facing backwards?
I'm thinking RAM Mount currently but if someone has a better idea, btw seatpost view is blocked by a Carradice Camper Longflap. Could possibly make a platform on my tubus rack to put it there as well.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:09 pm

Question - the GoPro skeleton cases (clear plastic cases) _> are they the same for the different models?
2012 Oppy A4

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:31 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Question - the GoPro skeleton cases (clear plastic cases) _> are they the same for the different models?
Hero 1 & 2 the design hasn't changed just the specs internally so they should all be the same
Hero 3 new case due to slimmer design. It's called The Frame
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810