ACF Strava Club

jasonc

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 pm

Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Marto wrote:Does software or website exist that displays what gear you are in on a map?
you'd have to get an ant+ shimano flightdeck. don't know if they exist. there's also a university that's done a prototype of an integration into Di2 that changes gears based on cadence.
I meant for post-ride analysis, as you can do with GPS data on Garmin or strava etc. I should have said what gear you *were* in (in a ride you have completed). I didn't explain that well :oops: .

I might draw up a mock up of what I have in mind.

Were you referring to real-time display of current gear selection?
well if flightdeck can do it realtime, and it's available with ant+, then there must be something that can grab it and plot it afterwards

Marto

Postby Marto » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:42 pm

jasonc wrote:
Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:
you'd have to get an ant+ shimano flightdeck. don't know if they exist. there's also a university that's done a prototype of an integration into Di2 that changes gears based on cadence.
I meant for post-ride analysis, as you can do with GPS data on Garmin or strava etc. I should have said what gear you *were* in (in a ride you have completed). I didn't explain that well :oops: .

I might draw up a mock up of what I have in mind.

Were you referring to real-time display of current gear selection?
well if flightdeck can do it realtime, and it's available with ant+, then there must be something that can grab it and plot it afterwards
Oh, I see. I was thinking working out the gears used via software (using cadence and speed), but I didn't think of your approach.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am

http://www.biketelemetry.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; does this but not terribly well. I think to get a good result you'd have to add heuristics for the nearest gear combinations. Even better would be power measurements to aid in detection of coasting/soft pedalling.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: my gear map suggestion, the map representation of gear selection would be like this:

snark

Postby snark » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:44 pm

The gear map idea is interesting - I've wondered the same thing in the past.

One problem would be guessing which gear you're in when there's two close possibilities. For example, I have 50x28 (ratio of 1.7857) and 34x19 (1.7895) as well as 34x13 (2.6154) and 50x19 (2.6316) on my Trek. I don't know if the calculations and the stored cadence/speed you work off would give enough info to chose one of those gear ratios over the other.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:48 pm

snark wrote:The gear map idea is interesting - I've wondered the same thing in the past.

One problem would be guessing which gear you're in when there's two close possibilities. For example, I have 50x28 (ratio of 1.7857) and 34x19 (1.7895) as well as 34x13 (2.6154) and 50x19 (2.6316) on my Trek. I don't know if the calculations and the stored cadence/speed you work off would give enough info to chose one of those gear ratios over the other.
but it won't give you a pretty map overlay

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Surely there is a logarithm that assesses the cadence/gradient/associated gear selection in relation to the current selection i.e. disputes on similar/conflicted ratios are determined by the ratio directly preceding or following the disputed ratio?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Or just ride a singlespeed everywhere, problem solved :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

sloth

Postby sloth » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Whilst idly flicking through some of the weekends rides I see Stephen Amos and Lisa Stansfield went for a spin together. I never knew BNA was home to such celebs!

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 pm

sloth wrote:Whilst idly flicking through some of the weekends rides I see Stephen Amos and Lisa Stansfield went for a spin together. I never knew BNA was home to such celebs!
Close... but it was Lisa Stanhope (Marinmomma).

sloth

Postby sloth » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 pm

Lol. Fail. I'll stick with the mental image of Stansfield though ... Kept me amused :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Sloth, not sure that I will bother to google the other Lisa S...
Lisa

sloth

Postby sloth » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:18 am

marinmomma wrote:Sloth, not sure that I will bother to google the other Lisa S...
Ahhh... nothing bad I can assure you. One of those 80's British Popstars that was part of the soundtrack to my formative years as a young lad growing up in Thatcher's Britain. Didn't quite fit with the cycling image :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:28 am

I guess I'm now a member of the club too, having also recently joined Strava and now being addicted to it. :D

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:17 am

As above, just got my Garmin, looks like Strava could be some fun :D

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

sloth wrote:Whilst idly flicking through some of the weekends rides I see Stephen Amos and Lisa Stansfield went for a spin together. I never knew BNA was home to such celebs!

I didn't realise either until I took a KOM off Stephen Amos.

Wonder how funny he found that to be ?
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:52 pm

So funny that it blew the tyre off his rim....

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:13 am

Anyone still got that email strava sent out with the top 10 segments in the world?... Can you email it to me please.
shotred@yahoo.com

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:32 am

toolonglegs wrote:Anyone still got that email strava sent out with the top 10 segments in the world?... Can you email it to me please.
shotred@yahoo.com
Get it?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 am

Got it, cheers for that :D ... must have deleted it... doh.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Got it, cheers for that :D ... must have deleted it... doh.
It was sent from my trash can. :)

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm

Hmm, I have a question. What is the story with tandem bikes and strava KOMs? Are tandems faster than normal riders? Curious because a couple of guys on a tandem are running around the local area clubbing my KOMs. :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:24 pm

norbs wrote:Hmm, I have a question. What is the story with tandem bikes and strava KOMs? Are tandems faster than normal riders? Curious because a couple of guys on a tandem are running around the local area clubbing my KOMs. :D
legit on climbs, not cool on flat segments :evil:

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Tandems are generally faster downhill and on the flats - bigger mass, more power, though they are slower uphill (bigger mass) - generally speaking - I've been passed by a tandem on a hill :( .

Audax rules indicate that a tandem is in effect two bikes as both riders receive a brevet for the ride, though I imagine strava sees it as one bike if they have one fit file. Either way its hard to compete with a tandem on a flat road, just as it is hard to compete with a recumbent.

There are some indications that they are looking at a separate category for tandems, so perhaps in the near future there will be Toms as well as Koms and Qoms.

(edit) if you're really fussed, report the ride and see what happens. It may bring the Tandem category forward.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:13 pm

Interesting idea actually. I ride a velomobile (recumbent trike with aero shell) so I have managed to accidently pick up a number of KOMs on slight downhill segments where the aerodynamics of the velomobile are king. Here's an example of a 5km segment from the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... Nxs#t=519s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This effort earned my KOM 1 of 1329.

Now clearly I have an aerodynamic advantage in this situation so not surprising I take the KOM. But having ridden a road bike for 3 years previous it is also clear to me that I am not the best athlete that has ever ridden that segment. It is also clear to me that I cannot sustain an output of 594W of power over 5 minutes like Strava has credited me with.

As such, it would be nice to be able to model my bike as a velomobile with the appropriate aero profiling, rather than just a 30kg TT bike.

Re the ride reporting / flagging, providing the bike / tandem / recumbent / velomobile etc is purely pedal powered, I don't really know what your argument is going to be. ie Its not fair, his bike is more aero than mine??? Are you really calling for UCI sanctioning of strava segments etc. Conversely, would you accept the argument from a velomobile rider that you had an unfair advantage up a hill due to your weight advantage? If owning every local KOM is that important to you, buy one of every kind of bike. My bike is listed as a velomobile weighing 30kgs, so use that as your bragging excuse if you must. Alternately you could use that to understand the relative merits of different bikes in different situations (most people kill me up hills). Otherwise, just relax and enjoy it for what it is, ie nothing more than a bit of fun, and not to be taken so seriously.

So in summary, I like your idea of greater classification of bike parameters, weight, aero profile etc, but mainly for the purpose of better power modelling, not so much the KOM filtering. That said, if you could filter based on bike type, I'd be a hell of a lot more competitive on uphill KOMs. I'm in the top 3 fastest velomobile riders in Brisbane you know ;-)
Last edited by Rhubarb on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.