Mavic Aksium vs Fulcrum Racing Comp

josephk86

Mavic Aksium vs Fulcrum Racing Comp

Postby josephk86 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:53 am

Hi Guys,

Just looking at a couple of bike options. Merida Scultura Comp 904 and 905, besides from a change from 105 to Ultegta the weeks change from Mavic Aksiums to Fulcrum Racing Comps, thoughts? Which ones are a better wheel set?

mogwaiboi

Re: Mavic Aksium vs Fulcrum Racing Comp

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 pm

I've had Mavic Aksiums on the commuter for 3 or 4 years and overall they have been excellent. The rear went slightly out of true, which took my mechanic no time at all to fix, and the front hub had a bit of grit in it which was solved easily as well. I've never had Fulcrums, but I'd definitely recommend the Mavic's (keep in mind I'm only 72kg).
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Snicks

Postby Snicks » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Aksiums certainly have a reputation as being 'the' wheel at the entry level end of the road wheel market, though I have had both and would suggest that it's essentially like for like!

boss

Postby boss » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:32 pm

I have aksiums and am not overly impressed, although I don't have a great deal to compare the to.

I notice them flexing and hitting the pads under moderately spirited turns. I'm 65-70kg, so not a big guy by any means.

I've had them checked out and trued so I don't think it's a tension issue.

My DA 7900 c24s arrive in the next week or so, it will be interesting to see how the two compare interns of lateral flex.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:34 am

I had Aksiums on my roadie for its first year and they were fine. The loud hub was either satisfying or annoying to listen to, according to mood. They're solid (and have weight to match). Didn't have flex, even though I'm 90kg.