Sunshine Coast Cycling

Wakatuki

Re: Sunshine Coast Cycling

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Just a quick one,

Been out on the bike a quick, mince pie burn off!

Get overtaken by a Scott Foil in full Green Edge gear on the Palmwoods-Woombye RD, never seen another one. I caught up with him at the Woombye School, actually he stopped. Quick chat he had a crazy french (I think) accent, turns out he is from Team Orica just out training and waiting for his team mate to catch up. Forgot his name... Can't find his face on the website.

Whats the chances of that happening! Dad once had Shane Waugh at his table on a luncheon at a local winery , didn't know until he left and everyone asked if we got his signature. He was a nice bloke who cares.

Rubbish at recognizing celeb's!

Anyway, Happy Christmas to you all.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Staying in Noosa for a few days and this morning tackled Gyndlier Drive and the Tinbeerwah circuit. All those hills were still there, exactly as I recall from last visit.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:25 am

Gyndliah is a fun little stretch.
Have you done a Cooroy loop Ron? I really like that ride.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:23 pm

jacob_T wrote:Gyndliah is a fun little stretch.
Have you done a Cooroy loop Ron? I really like that ride.
Not sure what you loop you mean. The Tinbeerwah circuit we ride heads out to Cooroy from the top of Gyndlier Drive, then returns via Nandroya Road and Sunrise Road. After Cooroy there is lots of up and down and the road surface is coarse and bumpy.

This morning we went out to Boreen Point a for a little easier ride. It wasn't difficult to resist the temptation to return via Pompona.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:20 pm

RonK wrote:Staying in Noosa for a few days and this morning tackled Gyndlier Drive and the Tinbeerwah circuit. All those hills were still there, exactly as I recall from last visit.
I know that ride as the Sunrise Road Loop, it's a great ride.

If you want something longer do the northern part of the Noosa 160 course, up toward Booreen and then back via Pamona and Black Mountain and then Cooroy to Sunrise Rd again.
Lisa

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:48 pm

marinmomma wrote:
RonK wrote:Staying in Noosa for a few days and this morning tackled Gyndlier Drive and the Tinbeerwah circuit. All those hills were still there, exactly as I recall from last visit.
I know that ride as the Sunrise Road Loop, it's a great ride.

If you want something longer do the northern part of the Noosa 160 course, up toward Booreen and then back via Pamona and Black Mountain and then Cooroy to Sunrise Rd again.
Yeah, rode it lap after lap a few years back when the SCCC used to run the Sunshine Coast tour. The other 3 stages were just as tough.
I've done the Pomona circuit several times, but tackling Louis Bazzo Drive on a hot and humid summer morning is not my idea of a fun Xmas ride. :) :) :)

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:02 am

Just to let you holiday makers and locals know,

Went up the Montville Palmwoods road Boxing day, rode straight past the closed barrier and up to the new repair site. All traffic lights and construction mess is removed.

We did turn back at that point, wifes legs were shot and rain was getting heavy... Hopefully try and get up all the way Sunday 30th.

But it seems pretty cyclist friendly to me. I would assume the council is off all week.

You never heard this from me :P Enjoy :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Is it any closer to getting finished? I'm itching to ride it, i never got a chance before it got washed away.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:51 am

>Idrcycles..
It was clear all the way up to the now repaired landslip site. Beyond that heading up, not sure but the last time I went this far it was like XC having to carry my bike over road blocks and loose unsealed areas.
The road is now sealed, some worn tarmac approaching the site, but nothing that worried me. Think it's damage from all the trucks.
Went up again today to the Kirby Rd barrier ONE car on the way up and nothing on the way down, excellent.
Strava Climb
Hope that short link works, first try! :shock: It did :!:
This climb was with the GLW who I am torturing, apparantly, during the holidays and making her climb too.
On the map you will see Shurvell Rd, ridden to that point before too.

> Everyone....Weather permitting would like to go up on 30th or 31st December, I am no super climber by any means but happy to join someone else. Drop me if needed and enjoy your climb, could meet at park near Palmwoods school, plenty of parking. Thinking 6~6:30 start. 30th looks better weather, I will do moderate rain too.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Wakatuki wrote:park near Palmwoods school, plenty of parking.
From here to the top of the range was Stage 1 of the Sunshine Coast tour - an uphill sprint race. Bloody tough...

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 am

Update on the road,
Rode to the point of road closure today > Palmwoods- Montville Rd to closed area

You cannot get past this point unless you have a helicopter, the road is completly gone and very gated off.

Traffic today up = one car (plenty of room given) one cyclist black Cannondale, hi; Two walkers and a small behaved dog, same Cannondale, on his way down.
down = a different car, again room given, same walkers with dog.
It was so excellent I hope they only open it to local residents, cyclists and walkers and leave Hunchy rd to the main traffic. Maybe a strict tourist run using provided mini tour bus speed limted to 30k's :D ............Dream on.

But it is along way from fixed, didn't realise it was that bad further up, makes the other repair seem tiny.
Any takers on a ride up? GLW wants to do a flatty ride on the free day.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi
would love to join you but minding 3 yr old grandson, so we all take turns to ride - :D towing a 20 kilo kid in the trailer on a cruiser is hard work on a hot day and so far I can only manage the run to the park at mudjimba with him - good fun though - swim, coffee and playing on the swings....

Taking it pretty slow on my bike to make sure the back is OK - seem to be handling one day off one day on so far but only short rides (max 35 kms)- and no hills yet.

fingers crossed that all will be well from here on in - am free of child minding duties from the 2nd......and going to try the run to Noosa and back - shoould be a good test.

hope you had a great xmas - we did

fiona

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi Fiona,

Read you had a bad back, I cant seem to find the start of the problems on the forums, what happened?
We didn't go up the hill, Pam fancied a flatter ride so I rode with her to Forest Glenn for a coffee and breakfast. She was knackered when we got back, I didn't know the combined hills climbed would add up to more than the 7K up to the road closure, I was not popular. She wanted REALLY flat! A dear old lady decided to try and force us off the road on the way back, thankfully I always ride out and behind Pam sort of 1 1/4 wide. Don't believe it was on purpose as she merrily drove off into the distance she couldn't keep in any form of straight line. Good job I was clipped in or she would have had a size ten boot print in the door.

Anyway maybe tomorrow we will go out again. And yes we had a great Christmas too, Hopefully catch up with you soon.
Alistair & Pam