Deciding on a bike ? :S

hayes

Deciding on a bike ? :S

Postby hayes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:04 am

Hi girls/guys, I originally posted this in the Womens forum but haven't received any results so figured I would post here ..

I'm trying to decide between the two bikes, I've tried the Cannondale and like it.. I can't try the Specialized because they don't have it in my size. I'm hesitant about buying the Specialized because I'm pretty much locked in and if it doesnt feel 'right' (they have to order one in from specialized).
The Specialized guy has been super helpful etc and I know I will get the right fitting as they offer a 2 hour session. It's just the feel of the bike I'm worried about.
I like the Cannondale but the seat isn't as comfortable as a Dolce (I tried a compact in a size S but it was too big)
Basically I'm super confused and any input would be greatly appreciated, both are similar prices, just wondering if I will be more comfortable on the Specialized due to the Zerts etc or should I go for the Cannondale because it has 105s and just change the seat.

Also since I'm on a roll, would either of these bikes be okay for competing? I'm interested in doing a few races during the year if I can (for fun, but I still would like to be on an even playing field with the other newbies).
Thanks!!!!

DoogleDave

Re: Deciding on a bike ? :S

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:05 am

It's a pity that you cannot try the Specialized bike to see how it feels.
Do they have a size that is close to what you need? It may not fit you as it should but will give you the idea on how stiff the frame is and it's handling.
They should be able to make adjustments to give you the idea of how it would feel (if it was the next size up or down from what you need).

Otherwise, if you like the Cannondale and are happy with this bike perhaps that's the winner and saddles are very personal to the individual so no matter which bike you buy the saddle may need to be changed regardless for one that suits YOU.
No matter the bike it will need to be fitted to suit you and your riding style anyway - so it's more about the feel of the bike when you ride it (and the look of it as it has to appeal to you).

Either bike would be OK for competing. It's the engine driving the bike (YOU) that makes the difference, not the bike - unless you're riding at the elite level.
Fitness is one part of competing. Tactics is another. There's no point being a strong rider if your tactics do all the right things at the wrong times, or all the wrong things at the right times.
Both of these are more important than what brand/model road bike you're riding.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am

What models are they??

I am not too worried about trying a bike before I buy, as long as you get the style of bike you are after with the most elements you are wanting, its the fit that will make the most difference. The 2 hour fit will be worth its weight in gold.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Ask if the LBS has a client with your size Dolce, mine lent me a customer’s bike as only if I stacked it I paid. I gave the customer a bottle of red for his efforts, no obligation.
They also said that if what they ordered was the wrong size then they would be able to order the correct one as they would never let a poorly fitted bike leave the shop as it's not worth the bad reputation.

Wife rides a 2007 Dolce we have just upgraded to Tiagra 10 speed and a compact double. She loves it.
I too find the Tiagra great; I will be fitting it to my new/old Pub bike when funds arrive!
I ride 105 new 5700 and other than the cable routing, not under the tape, I can't really tell a difference, other than bragging rights. Her bike was upgraded from OLD 8spd Tiagra, Sugino triple and Tektra and Sora brakes and brifter mix, she can't get over how easy and smooth the bike is.
Cannondale, no opinion on, but don't cast it off, a saddle is an easy upgrade. The Dolce is very popular for a reason, world over, and I personally did not like the Specialized, but Kudos to the Dolce.

hayes

Postby hayes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Ah sorry Cannondale Synapse 5 Alloy 105 & Specialized Dolce Elite, both 2012 models.

Thanks for your replies :)

Snicks

Postby Snicks » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Just RE the saddle, the likelihood is that you may have to change it anyway! I have been between $20 and $250 saddles, and for once, some part of my body has cheap taste! However sadly neither of them came on my bike at first, but the secondhand saddle market is usually pretty good only because there is so many people our there with similar problems!

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:24 am

Research will always tell you more about a bike than a test ride will.

If it's down to two bikes, choose the one that makes you feel more tingly, because that's the bike you will want to ride.

Saddles can be changed, bike fit can be changed.

Red is known to be the fastest colour.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

harcs

Postby harcs » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:52 pm

I ride a CAAD 9 and love it. The aluminium frame is very stiff and the handling is superb. I have Sram Groupset but my daughter in law has 105 on her CAAD 5 and has no problems. She competes in Tri's and does very well. Goodluck. I also ride a 1940 Malvern Star Oppy Racer in Historic events. This bike has a leather saddle which is far more comfortable than my CAAD saddle. I am seriously thinking of getting a new leather saddle for CAAD 9 as they shape to you own behind.:razz:

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2