New Forks Required

AKO

New Forks Required

Postby AKO » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:40 am

Hey guys. I'm hoping someone can recommend a set of replacement forks for my Malvern Star XCS5.0. While riding the old girl yesterday I popped one of the cylinders on the front forks. It just stripped the thread on the lock out hub and I'm assuming they're nackered. Any way they are Rock Shox Dart 2's and I would like to know what people think would be a good replacement / upgrade for these. I should probably mention that I weigh 105kg and may or may not have contributed to the premature failure of these shocks :wink:
Stephen
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

mitzikatzi

Re: New Forks Required

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:10 pm

A similar fork would be Rock Shox XC 30 TK Disc Forks 2012 or Rock Shox XC 32 TK Forks 2012 at 105kg the "32" might be a better choice. Both might need stiffer springs for maximum performance at 105 kg, avoid the 28 IMHO.

These are good forks Manitou Minute Expert Forks 2012

"Air" forks let you adjust for body weight easier than coil forks.

I have no idea if your old fork can be repaired cheaply. Ask at a LBS that knows about suspension forks (not all do in my experience)

also forks here there are heaps of online sellers bargains about just search

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks for that mitzikatzi. First I've seen of that online store, looks good. Thinking of running with a set of recons at present but I haven't exactly picked the best time of year to be shopping for these things. Most wholesalers are closed for the Christmas break and I'm not sure if an online retailer can get them to me in time. Thanks again.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

cobba

Postby cobba » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:25 pm

None of those forks will come set-up for someone that weighs over 100kg.

The Rockshox forks would need a X-Firm spring to replace the stock medium spring and the Manitou fork would need a Firm ride kit to replace the stock medium ride kit.

Do some searches on here and here about forks, I read some good reviews about the Manitou Minute on there.