Chain to cassette wear

dontazame

Chain to cassette wear

Postby dontazame » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Started to swap chains on a monthly basis (about every 8 - 900 km) with the plan of binning everything (cassette and chains) at the first sign of chain slipping. I use Ultegra chains and 105 or Ultegra cassettes (depending on price).

To get maximum wear/economy, should I be swapping between two or between three chains per cassette? As a possible side question - would I be better off running 2 x Dura Ace instead of 3 x Ultegra chains?

jules21

Re: Chain to cassette wear

Postby jules21 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:49 pm

general advice seems to be to swap chains when wear reaches 1/16". i think you're being over-cautious.
you should be able to squeeze at least a couple of chains out of a cassette.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:50 pm

dontazame wrote:Started to swap chains on a monthly basis (about every 8 - 900 km) with the plan of binning everything (cassette and chains) at the first sign of chain slipping.
If you are running the same chain (or couple of chains) and cassette you'll be breaking teeth off the sprockets before you get any skipping. Skipping only occurs with a mismatched chain and cassette ie. new chain/worn cassette or vice versa.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

A_P

Postby A_P » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:06 pm

jules21 wrote:general advice seems to be to swap chains when wear reaches 1/16". i think you're being over-cautious.
you should be able to squeeze at least a couple of chains out of a cassette.
+1 for this
i'm onto my 3rd chain, shared between 2 cassettes , original chain rings at around 9000k.

dontazame

Postby dontazame » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:09 pm

general advice seems to be to swap chains when wear reaches 1/16". i think you're being over-cautious.
you should be able to squeeze at least a couple of chains out of a cassette
I should clarify that I rotate them - not bin them after 8-900 km. I have the Shimano chain checker which is supposed to be better, but have not had any luck with it, i.e. things have worn out before I've detected it should be replaced - wasted a cassette. In any event, I would have thought it best to rotate chains to avoid putting a new chain on a half worn cassette.

I also lube with ChainL on each rotation - which I only need to apply once a month. It is very viscous and I apply it with the spare chain off hanging up. I'm just about into my third month of this - hence my question.