The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

twizzle

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:28 pm

108km, 3056Kj... ready for a rest.

Those energy numbers from yesterday and today are about 80% of what I'd consume doing the Amy Gillette Gran Fondo (110km). Back was getting sore today, I need more core.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

skull

Postby skull » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:35 pm

151.1km today.

Making up for two days off the bike. Felt great even went and did a Mt Stromlo climb. I also saw twiz out doing secret training.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:43 pm

jimboss wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:So I ate like a depressed cow :-( .
You ate lots of grass? :lol:
Pretty much!

Still feeling shite... More so off the bike than on!.
Was hoping to hit 15,000kms for the year... But not much chance of the last 280kms before Monday.
Anyway off to London for New Years ... 4 days off then back into it :-) . Got some lofty goals to achieve in the next 6 months :-) .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:33 pm

skull wrote:151.1km today.

Making up for two days off the bike. Felt great even went and did a Mt Stromlo climb. I also saw twiz out doing secret training.
Where the heck were you??!?

Mind you, some people I only recognise in their cycling kit, other people I only recognise in normal clothes.

Sent from my iThingy...

3DKiwi

Postby 3DKiwi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 am

Thursday 27th
Distance: 42.1km
Time: 1:30
Avg speed: 28.01kph
Avg cadence: 92

Head wind first half the ride. Second half was brilliant, zipping along at around 40kph on the flats and 60ish on a few downhills.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:53 am

made a 49km run for my local area, involving a few hills (alot more than my normal ride) legs are really hurting, steps are an issue :P i suppose it's the after effect for my first 100km ride on Wednesday.
only managed total of 72 yesterday, 23 ride to work, then we had thunderstorms etc, and had to work late so slacked, got home and did another 49km, really not going well for that strava 500km week ride

see how i go this arvo on my ride home, had to drive to work hoping to get in the 70 - 80 km's :)

ps even though im hurting I'm still love riding!

skull

Postby skull » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:40 am

twizzle wrote:
skull wrote:151.1km today.

Where the heck were you??!?

Mind you, some people I only recognise in their cycling kit, other people I only recognise in normal clothes.

Sent from my iThingy...
I passed you at the Tulip Farm on the old fed hwy. You were heading out I was coming back in.

You're easy to spot being so bloody tall.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:45 pm

skull wrote:I passed you at the Tulip Farm on the old fed hwy. You were heading out I was coming back in.

You're easy to spot being so bloody tall.
Ah, I remember seeing someone. Too busy watching the road down there, I once almost got taken out by a rabbit at that spot.

OT - d'ya think someone is going to do something about that tree?

Sent from my iThingy...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:48 pm

poohkies wrote:made a 49km run for my local area, involving a few hills (alot more than my normal ride) legs are really hurting, steps are an issue :P i suppose it's the after effect for my first 100km ride on Wednesday.
only managed total of 72 yesterday, 23 ride to work, then we had thunderstorms etc, and had to work late so slacked, got home and did another 49km, really not going well for that strava 500km week ride

see how i go this arvo on my ride home, had to drive to work hoping to get in the 70 - 80 km's :)

ps even though im hurting I'm still love riding!
Good on you! I did my first hundred recently too. I did 30km this afternoon is the gusting wind, blasting all over the place. Grabbed a couple of 3rds and a 4th place on Strava, but that's about it. I planned to do a longer ride this morning but it was too hot and I had other things to do. :(

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 pm

Another romp through the hills and s top speed of 96 coming down Montague Hill
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:38 am

Seventy something at 33.3av... was tempted to carry on for a sub 3 hour 100 but in the end couldn't be bothered... I get bored on the bike too easily!. Missing a proper big chain ring!, when riding the CX bike with a 46 up front the gaps between the 11-12-13 are huge, you are either spinning or grinding!.
Got very close to buying a power meter again this week... but for now I have decided against it, will do all my testing on climbs. Have tough 5min,8min & 30min climbs lined up to test in Jan. Strava will tell me where I am at against my peak form last year :lol: .

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 am

one month out seems a good time to start preparing for the ACE 250 :)

200 km - brunswick - whittlesea - kinglake west - flowerdale - toolangi - healesville - yarra glen - kangaroo grd - mt pleasant - home

it was a relief to feel strong, i feel better than last year.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:00 pm

75.4km along the M7 to Abbott Road (along Old Windsor Road) and back to my place. Got a massive headwind on the way back - totally killed the average speed. :( I've got tired legs. 2,438kJ on this ride and average power of 231w.

267.9km this week according to Strava.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:35 pm

:| Yesterday dug it out of me more than I thought... beautiful sunny day outside but decided to skip the club ride :shock: . Might sneak out this arvy for a short one and aim for a big one tomorrow.
Yesterday apart from having to kill myself into a head wind on the way home I had a huge tooth ache... 1000mg of aspirin and another 1000 of para when I got home to get it under control, still hanging around today :cry: . Dentist did more damage than good!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:14 pm

111km, 3200+kj, some real cruise bits and some serious climbs. Back playing up, towards the end I was having to stop every half an hour to have a stretch. Might ride the TCR tomorrow instead. I think saddle width and how well it supports me might be the issue, I think I'm sitting too far forwards on the nose of this one and rocking. The TCR has an ISM Adamo Race on it, I'll see how that goes for long distances. I use the Merida a lot, but my back has never liked it for long distance rides, and when I first set it up, I had to move the saddle way forwards to stop back pain after short distances.

(My back is rooted, I'm just playing with the best compromises).

Sent from my iThingy...
Last edited by twizzle on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 am

New to road riding, 4th ride on new road bike. Rode from Drouin to Willow Grove to Noojee and back to Drouin with KenGS yesterday.

Length: 121km
Climbed: 2100m
Time: 5h26m
Average speed:22km/h

We did spend another hour having lunch at the Red Parrot.
Longest One day ride I've done, feel a bit sore and tired today but mostly pretty good.
We're looking forward to the Audax Wheels to Walhalla ride on New Years Day, should be able to ride that no problem.
Definately hooked now, just need to loose a good 10 or 15 kg to make it a bit easier.

Pete

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:15 pm

O.K. 121km, 3,400+Kj, and a sore back and a sore arse. :roll: I've worked out that I need to ride right forwards on the saddle and use the quads a lot, the more I use the glutes the more it hurts, and it's riding slow or coasting that really sets it off. I've done over 600km in nine days, the extra volume is obviously getting the inflammation going... not good.

Sent from my iThingy...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:09 pm

twizzle wrote:O.K. 121km, 3,400+Kj, and a sore back and a sore arse. :roll: I've worked out that I need to ride right forwards on the saddle and use the quads a lot, the more I use the glutes the more it hurts, and it's riding slow or coasting that really sets it off. I've done over 600km in nine days, the extra volume is obviously getting the inflammation going... not good.

Sent from my iThingy...
So essentially what your saying (for those, like me, who have never ridden a TT bike) it's basically like riding out of the saddle hunched over the bars for hours on end!!!

boss

Postby boss » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Last three days ridden a total of 40km and drank as many beers. Didn't have much of a break over Christmas - this is my little break :)

Going to get stuck into the bike tomorrow and hammer up the hill.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:50 pm

I did a huge amount of training today, with my feet up listening to music. :lol:

I feel quite guilty. :oops: I might head out on the M7 again tomorrow - hopefully without the headwinds I had yesterday. :)

mjd

Postby mjd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:53 pm

Bunch ride today with some short squirts that had everyone eating stems.
Great zone 3 tempo ride on Saturday.
95.1 KM
02:39:15 time
35.8kph avg speed
480m elevation so pretty flat overall.
234 avg watts
1hour 3 mins right in z3 with avg 266 watts & dist 40.928km, avg speed of 40.9kph. Pretty much pan flat (88m gain) smooth road with no stops other than u turn to head back. Light tail wind first half & head wind back. Got into good groove for this hour & pacing was spot on for a change.
Its nice when you nail a ride as it does not happen all that much for me!
Around 600km last 6 days has left me stinging as there has been a couple of group rides where the peeing contest with dick extenders has come out on the hills, all good fun this time of year.
Day off tomorrow so bike year over!

Been a good year to ride best wishes to all for next year......

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:37 pm

mjd wrote: 1hour 3 mins right in z3 with avg 266 watts & dist 40.928km, avg speed of 40.9kph. Pretty much pan flat (88m gain) smooth road with no stops other than u turn.
Is that solo or in a group? If its a Solo well done.

mjd

Postby mjd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:22 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
mjd wrote: 1hour 3 mins right in z3 with avg 266 watts & dist 40.928km, avg speed of 40.9kph. Pretty much pan flat (88m gain) smooth road with no stops other than u turn.
Is that solo or in a group? If its a Solo well done.
Solo, usually only 1 bunch ride a week & sometimes none. All my interval rides definitely solo. Had a few bunch rides this past week just because of time of year.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:59 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
twizzle wrote:O.K. 121km, 3,400+Kj, and a sore back and a sore arse. :roll: I've worked out that I need to ride right forwards on the saddle and use the quads a lot, the more I use the glutes the more it hurts, and it's riding slow or coasting that really sets it off. I've done over 600km in nine days, the extra volume is obviously getting the inflammation going... not good.

Sent from my iThingy...
So essentially what your saying (for those, like me, who have never ridden a TT bike) it's basically like riding out of the saddle hunched over the bars for hours on end!!!
Yep... so I'm switching back to the TT bike. No point fighting it.

Sent from my iThingy...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Surely it is just a mechanical thing you have to work out?.

I was going to do a big one today but didn't get out early enough before meeting up with the club for a roll. To be honest though, I am still feeling it in my hamstrings from Friday, still feeling fatigued as well so I am not too bothered. Might get on the rollers for an hour tomorrow, but if not going on holiday till next Saturday without a bike :shock: . CX race day after I return :D then into it hard to get ready for RR season... only 2 months till first RR of the season... and still so much weight to lose! :lol: .