Raleigh Appreciation Society

pentlandexile

Re: Raleigh Appreciation Society

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:31 am

You're kidding! Where/how did it happen?
Long day's journey into alt-bars

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:12 am

munga wrote:
munga wrote: Image

daytona shifters, stronglight a9 headset, record crankset, veloce fd, chorus rd, athena brakes.
it's a 1989 Raleigh 653 Race, sold as a frameset.
disregard flat pedals. now shod with shimano pd-540's or something.
hope you like.
stolen tuesday night.
any leads please get in touch.
Suggest keep an eye on Gumtree / Ebas / Weekend Shopper and Cash converters.

In your neck of the woods don't some streets have surveillance cameras ?

Isildur

Postby Isildur » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi All,
I've been directed to here from Rotorburn, due to the nature of my enquiry. I was hoping to get a little bit of history help from the fellowship.

I was helping out my mother-in-law today with a bunch of things around her house. Among other things, she mentioned she had a couple of old folding bikes from when her and her husband did some travelling around Australia. As she's no longer using them at all, she was wondering if it was worth trying to sell them, or just go and donate them straight away. The reason they're no longer needed is that her husband passed away a few months ago and she wanting to clear some stuff out.

I figured I'd have a look at them, and see if there was anything that really needed doing. I pulled them from the garage, and for the most part they're in pretty good condition. The hubs and BB still spin completely freely, with no hint of drag and/or binding. Although the chains had a bit of surface rust, a quick clean up and lube saw them looking quite fine! No stiff links, nothing to worry about there. I gave the bikes a good cleaning over today, and once done they were riding great (for a tiny, folding, 14" wheeled bike).

The only concern for me was the spokes (see pictured). The bikes, although stored well (bagged and hidden), have developed a little bit of corrosion on the spokes - one of the caveats of living near the beach. Other than that, the tyres looked fine (no cracking or other degradation) and other that the odd bit of surface rust on some of the chromed bits and a few nicks in the paint work, they're looking quite nice.

The defining marks on the bikes that I could find are:
- Bridgestone Picnica Chain Guard
- "The Raleigh Co" head badge
- Shimano G K rear hubs
- Shimano Primus-C rear brake, part code 6415 (looks a bit like a drum brake)
- Shimano 8722 XC front hubs
- 33E or 83E marking on the fork of each bike, along with "1 BS"
- Bridgestone HT Nylon 14"x1.75 tyres
- Oh, and they're bloody heavy! Full steel no doubt, almost as heavy as my DH bike ;)
- And the frame Serial #'s.

Here's the real question though... Are they worth anything? Is it possible to determine the age? Is it worth putting any more effort into really tidying these up and restoring them to their former glory? I've searched around all evening, and I can't really find any decent info on the history of these bikes. There seems to be plenty on the Raleigh "Twenty" series (and 16" series too), but although these bikes are Raleigh badged, there's not a whole lot of info to be found.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! ;) :D

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Ahhh this seems a nice place to be.

You may have seen some of my other threads, but long story, short. Bought a new **Carbon** and retired the old girl.

She is to be restored when some coin comes in.
I bought it second hand over 20 years ago when my other Raleigh got stolen in the UK and have managed to track down the following about it.

It's a Raleigh TYPE 8906 - 531 Club 62cm or so I believe from matching the paint job, running Bio-Pace and Exage 300 elsewhere. The bottom crank has just started to creak I think a bearings going. Please tell me this is replaceable.... With the saddle bag she weighs in at 10kg. Not bad at all.
A link to the original Catalogue page, I can still smell the ink. Sorry if that’s a rule break.
http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pics/ ... ary%29.pdf

She has been out in all weathers, rain, and snow, ridden with carrier bags on the hoods, work boots in the cages and abused over grassy parks. I even did a bunny hop while testing out my clipless pedals before transferring them to the new one. Looking forward to getting on a Runday or, hard due to work, possibly a Raturday in Brisbane and meeting some of you. Will travel down the night before as i'm a sunny coaster. Can the wife bring her 2007 aluminium dolce without too much aggravation?

However before I get riding I do really need to sort out the wheels, rear in particular creak~creak from the spokes. Would prefer to replace spokes and keep retro wheel.
How do I tell if the rim is beyond braking safe zone as braking is err frightening even with new brake shoes.
Also any local Yoda's available to teach me this stuff; beer/ wine will be supplied during lesson. :P

Thanks in advance.
Alistair

Pictures of Raleigh: Sorry had to use phone lost my camera...SANTA>>>>>>> NO...........

I will get it washed and looking a little happier over xmas, hopefully.
Last edited by Wakatuki on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Isildur wrote:

Dude no way! I found a Picnica like the blue one (but in average condition, nowhere near as nice as that one) a little while ago and never thought i would see any others. I'm sure there would be a market for them especially when they look as good as those two (a matching pair might be worth more again).

The spokes on mine are in pretty poor shape, but it's an odd wheel size and google isn't turning up much, besides MAYBE some Toys R Us bikes (but they could be 14 1/2 inch, which is actually smaller :roll: ).

As far as an actual figure for what they are worth i wouldn't hazard a guess, it's a matter of finding the person who wants one and has the money. Might be worth searching completed listings on ebay to see if any have been sold recently.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:35 pm

A little something in the works....

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:44 pm

oooooo i'll play. ikelston built frame. 72XX meaning built between feb, march, may of 1985. 531c? roadie or track? can't see the blue, so later raleigh team weimann/system u colors?

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:48 pm

vaeske wrote:oooooo i'll play. ikelston built frame. 72XX meaning built between feb, march, may of 1985. 531c? roadie or track? can't see the blue, so later raleigh team weimann/system u colors?
Ilkeston built track, 753, Team Weinmann livery.

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Re:

Postby cycles gitane » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:27 pm

Wakatuki wrote: It's a Raleigh TYPE 8906 - 531 Club 62cm or so I believe from matching the paint job, running Bio-Pace and Exage 300 elsewhere. The bottom crank has just started to creak I think a bearings going. Please tell me this is replaceable.... With the saddle bag she weighs in at 10kg. Not bad at all.
A link to the original Catalogue page, I can still smell the ink. Sorry if that’s a rule break.
http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pics/ ... ary%29.pdf

Alistair

Pictures of Raleigh: Sorry had to use phone lost my camera...SANTA>>>>>>> NO...........
Hi Alistar,
I have the Raleigh type 8906 Club 531 frame that is in the catalogue.

Your frame is different to mine and the catalogue in several ways.
1. sloping crown on the front fork, rather than lugged
2. frame decals are different, on down tube and fork
3. no Raleigh name on top of seat stays
4. no model name
5. Raleigh badge is later

I thinks yours is a later year and sold as a complete bike rather than just a frame.

If you look closely at the Shimano components you will see two letters.
This is a date stamp from the factory and can help id the date of manufacture.

Also look for a frame number. This can reveal where it was built, year and month.
Google for both of these code breaking lists.

It is a very nice bike and will look better with some TLC.

regards
cycles gitane
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:45 am

Dow Jones Index wrote:
vaeske wrote:oooooo i'll play. ikelston built frame. 72XX meaning built between feb, march, may of 1985. 531c? roadie or track? can't see the blue, so later raleigh team weimann/system u colors?
Ilkeston built track, 753, Team Weinmann livery.
very naise indeed. okay now show us more :)

Wakatuki

Re: Re:

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Alistar,
I have the Raleigh type 8906 Club 531 frame that is in the catalogue.

Your frame is different to mine and the catalogue in several ways.
1. sloping crown on the front fork, rather than lugged
2. frame decals are different, on down tube and fork.
3. no Raleigh name on top of seat stays
4. no model name
5. Raleigh badge is later

I thinks yours is a later year and sold as a complete bike rather than just a frame.

If you look closely at the Shimano components you will see two letters.
This is a date stamp from the factory and can help id the date of manufacture.

Also look for a frame number. This can reveal where it was built, year and month.
Google for both of these code breaking lists.

It is a very nice bike and will look better with some TLC.

regards
cycles gitane
Thanks will get onto that. I presumed that the missing stickers were missing from degradation. I must admit never spotted the sloping crown.
So will all parts have the date stamp (Shimano), and the frame, are they the numbers that are partially obscured under the plastic cable guide?
The TLC will be a complete rebuild/paint etc. Need some income first.. Just put solar up!
Look forward to updating the history and working this out.

Alistair

****Edit http://static.lfgss.com/attachments/116 ... 9_1474.jpg This is the article that led me down the path of wrong identification. ****

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:11 am

On the Shimano crank found these letters,
P 170 A Assumed 170 id length so used the P/A would give me January 1991.
Now the frame looked to be .
WP 801162 or
WP 801763 but understand last four are production numbers so not model relevant.
From that I figured it was a Nottingham built in November, but does the 8 make it 1998? 7 years on the shelf from Shimano compnent..

Found a 1991 Raliegh Cat online but bike not featured.. Getting curios now. I certainly bought it second hand around 1998/99 hmm not as old as I thought. I'll keep looking.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 am

Just took the Competition for its first proper hill ride, a few 16 per cent pitches on Gap Creek Road in Brisbane. Do-able in 42-18 but my cadence was almost in single figures. Might have to splash out on a 22-tooth block.

Wal42

Re:

Postby Wal42 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:05 am

Wakatuki wrote: Looking forward to getting on a Runday or, hard due to work, possibly a Raturday in Brisbane and meeting some of you. Will travel down the night before as i'm a sunny coaster. Can the wife bring her 2007 aluminium dolce without too much aggravation?

For sure, everybody is always welcome, there may be a little ribbing from time to time about shifter preferences & frame materials, but anybody who is interested in a social ride with a bunch of retro loving people, are always more than welcome. Keep an eye out on the Raturday page for any different rides as there may be plans for a few Runday ones next year.

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:06 pm

vaeske wrote:very naise indeed. okay now show us more :)
Here it is, 99% finished (just needs gluing).

Ilkestson built track, SB7292. Below the serial no. it reads SJ565 - apparently built for Steve Jones of Team Weinmann. As far as I know SB serial numbers ran sequentially, which dates this bike to '84. However it's flying the Team Castorama livery so I suspect it's a repaint - I don't think Castorama formed until '89 at the earliest?

The crankset is interesting, it looks like a Zeus pista but is stamped with the Raleigh R. Any Raleighphiles know anything about it?

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 am

Beautiful!!

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Cheers mate. I can't tell you how long I've lusted after an SB model, I'm pretty chuffed atm. My '84 Worksop roadie is currently getting a bit of an overhaul, I'll post some pics of them together when it's done.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 pm

R = Royce. Top end English stuff. A pic of the R will clarify it. I have a Royce rear hub on my commuter.

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:07 am

Do we have a match?

Thanks for the heads up, Roger.

dubrat

Postby dubrat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:16 am

i believe Royce had a more angular R like this

The R on the cranks set is in Italics the same a all Raleigh decals...

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 am

Not a match I think. The crank looks like it is Raleigh branded. I have never seen one before.

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am

Yeah, the resemblance is very strong. Especially where the 'leg' on the R is cut on an angle.

dubrat

Postby dubrat » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 am

I did ask on the team Raleigh Yahoo group but got no responses....

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am

Ha ha, so did I. No replies

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Okay, here is my freshly updated Team Panasonic. The bars are a tad sinful but they'll do for now.

Same same, but different