Pedal Float

Marty Moose

Pedal Float

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I run speedplay 0's on my road bike I like the float. Which mountain bike pedals have lots of free float ? I'm about to buy a bike to train for the cape to cape over here on the west.

Cheers future mtb addict :):)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Pedal Float

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 pm

Cleat dependent for SPuDs, I believe that Eggbeaters are very good in this respect.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:58 pm

I've heard Time are very good for float. I think IP knows something about them. TG posted on them before he left.You could always try Speedplay Frogs.

I run SPDs on everything. The kind of float SPDs have you probably won't like coming from Speedplays as SPDs have spring resistance in their float.

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Cleat dependent for SPuDs, I believe that Eggbeaters are very good in this respect.
Yep, all Crank Bros pedals have unsprung float and adjustable release angle (by swapping cleats); I've run eggbeaters on the roadie and will probably go back to them once the current Speedplay cleats wear out. Recommend Candys for mtb, and worth spending a little extra for the 3 model that uses needle bearings in place of the plastic bushings on cheaper models.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Phill_B_34

Postby Phill_B_34 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:33 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I run speedplay 0's on my road bike I like the float. Which mountain bike pedals have lots of free float ? I'm about to buy a bike to train for the cape to cape over here on the west.

Cheers future mtb addict :):)

I'm the same, I've got Zero's on the roadie. I have Speedplay Frog's on my MTB. You don't even notice the difference.
Phill B

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:47 pm

Cheers Phil looks like I'm getting some Frogs :) I know very little about mtb

ozzybmx

Postby ozzybmx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:21 pm

TIME have loads of float, they also have the best "clipped in feeling" .Ive owned many Shimano's, CB and ridden LOOK pedals, the TIME's are the best hands down IMO.

I currently have TIME Carbon XS on my bikes, the float and lock is awesome on a SS.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:39 pm

I love float too and run something like this on my roadies and MTB's, but have been looking for something like the above suggestions.

Disappearin

Postby Disappearin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:23 am

I run crank brothers pedals on my roadie (eggbeaters) and mtb (candy). You can run them at two different amounts of float by swapping the cleats from left to right. I think from memory it's the cleat with two dots on the RH shoe for 15 degree or on LH for 20 degree of float. I think you will find the crank brothers pedals to be lighter the most as well.