Stages Power Meter

Krank

Stages Power Meter

Postby Krank » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 am

http://www.stagescycling.com/stagespower-tech-specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your thoughts on this unit and it's limitations (if any) for measuring true power output?

Byte

winstonw

Re: Stages Power Meter

Postby winstonw » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:24 am

cons

- less accurate with significant asymmetrical pedaling technique. nevertheless, I suppose it depends on what a cyclist wants to use power data for. If he wants to train to improve output, then asymmetry error won't be an issue. It's only when someone wants to compare their power output to someone else that it might be an issue.

- doesn't work on carbon cranks.

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:28 am

interesting - thanks

how to the expensive high end units differ?

Krank

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:19 am

Thank you for your interest in the Stages Power meter. Unfortunately, we cannot ship to those outside of the US and Canada at this time. As a new company, and US based manufacturer, we've made the decision to only sell to North America until we're comfortable growing to support the demand and product outside of that area. We want to ensure we can support our customers in the highest quality manner and we cannot do this until we have our systems in place in other countries

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 am

i have a contact in usa - so no probs in mail..

krank

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:30 am

winstonw wrote: - less accurate with significant asymmetrical pedaling technique. nevertheless, I suppose it depends on what a cyclist wants to use power data for. If he wants to train to improve output, then asymmetry error won't be an issue. It's only when someone wants to compare their power output to someone else that it might be an issue.
Comparing with others isn't the primary issue, although it helps if a power meter is accurate as usually people do change meters at some stage and inaccurate meters can make season on season tracking problematic.

Asymmetry in left side-right side power output is:
- normal
- variable from person to person (meaning that even if two people have the same total power output, this unit may not report them as the same)
- variable for the same person depending on cadence, absolute and relative power output, fatigue level, bike fit, type of riding, changes in fitness etc.

e.g. you can be 46:54 at one power level and 49:51 at another (and this would be completely normal). Which means the accuracy will vary somewhat as the unit assumes you are always 50:50 (which would be pretty unusual). In other words it might be accurate at one power level and much less so at another power level.

I'd say it has potential to be a good intro product into training with power, provided one recognises the limitations of the data and what it can be sensibly used for (and what it shouldn't be used for), similar to how other such products in the past, like the Polar chain based power meter, provided a cheaper entry to the power meter club.

Keep in mind that for a regular trained cyclist, threshold power will only vary by ~ 10% from under trained to peak fitness, and that often we are seeking to assess changes in power of only a percent or two when fitness is at personal best levels.

I can't comment on things like ability to validate calibration, durability, consistency, warranty, service and support etc

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:39 pm

ematchizit?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:15 pm

jules21 wrote:ematchizit?
USD700
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/int ... ower-meter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:41 pm

No Campy options is pretty disappointing, but I can understand that it would be too hard if they are invading the crank volume to fit all the electronics onboard.

Krank

Postby Krank » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Xplora wrote:No Campy options is pretty disappointing, but I can understand that it would be too hard if they are invading the crank volume to fit all the electronics onboard.
agree!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:16 pm

It's due to the carbon. Hysterisis or something like that. Reason to go DA9000?

I really have to question the wisdom of putting a power meter on a 105 crank. If you are throwing around 1250 bucks at a power meter and Garmin, perhaps you have money to pony up for a new crankset as well? :|

dale79

Postby dale79 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:28 pm

not much cheaper than the tried and proven powertap hubs..

skull

Postby skull » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 pm

you can get quarqs for less than $2k brand new from O/S

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:25 pm

skull wrote:you can get quarqs for less than $2k brand new from O/S
Don't need to go O/S to get them for less then $2k.
I sell complete Quarq SRAM crank sets from $1869, and much less for Specialized/Cannondale Quarq spiders.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:28 pm

There you go, you can get them from a reputable Australian distributor for less than $2k.

I take it you are supplying Quarq power meters again.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:20 am

In fairness to the Stages system, it's MUCH simpler than the powertap, and I am guessing the "elite" systems are much cheaper to implement because the expense is from the crank (which you are unlikely to swap) and you don't need to build the crank into a wheel etc which I am guessing is going to extend the cost enormously. The cheap powertap system is a similar price, but I'm thinking that it would be cheaper for the Stages system. Just seems a shame that you can either swap wheels, or swap bikes... most dudes sinking dollars have more than one bike lol

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 am

skull wrote:There you go, you can get them from a reputable Australian distributor for less than $2k.

I take it you are supplying Quarq power meters again.
Yes, Quarq were keen to ensure I could still supply their product here in Australia via SRAM's distribution network.

guyc

Postby guyc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 am

It's launched, reviews are starting to appear:

http://lavamagazine.com/gear/tested-sta ... z2JJnLDyfG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/stag ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 pm

guyc wrote:It's launched, reviews are starting to appear:

http://lavamagazine.com/gear/tested-sta ... z2JJnLDyfG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/stag ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ta!

Edit: both reviews basically back up what Alex Simmons said. Sounds like I will have to look at a power tap.

ianlisle

Postby ianlisle » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:21 pm

DC Rainmaker has changed his opinion. Updates to the firmware now make it a very viable option.
As usual all backed up with in depth data and charts

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/06/stag ... pdate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From his conclusion;

"Based on what I’ve seen, they’ve done that work (and put in that time) – into the software. The physical unit I have has not changed since the original review. It’s the same unit I’ve had since the very beginning. They’ve just updated the software within it. And they took a lot of feedback from the original review and addressed issues of concern we had.

For me, I have no issues in using any of the power meters I’ve used in this review – including the Stages. I do in fact from time to time pick different ones, and the data is generally similar enough that there’s no discernable difference. Further, in some situations (such as nonstop climbing with shifts in temperature), the Stages simply performed better than two other units. This likely due to its automatic temperature compensation algorithms."

I've been riding the SRAM version since January and have in the last month purchased an Ultegra version as well (new bike). Couldn't be happier. I have no comparison data as Stages is the only PM I've ever ridden with (after having a deposit down on a the Garmin pedals for a long time!)

I was able to purchase through a bike shop in the States who was happy to send to Australia.

dale79

Postby dale79 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 pm

I have a stages on the way, ill report on it when I get it

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Yes please, I tried to make contact with stages via the standard online contact channels though the line has been dead. Pretty comprehensive review.
Cycling is in my BNA

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:52 am

I wonder if DC is smarting from durianrider's scathing attack LOL

In fairness though, the level of effort DC has gone to trying to get his data together has been impressive. Maybe a PT isn't the answer? Something tells me that the Beater (my Trek 2.1) would look funny with a DA crankarm just on one side :shock:

pagey

Postby pagey » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:54 pm

What US shops are happy to send to Aust?
cheers
Pagey

dale79

Postby dale79 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:51 pm

if you want to know PM me your email address and ill email you the order form.
took me a loooooong time to find one that would send it..
cost is rrp plus $70 freight and insurance
so was $925aud for ultegra delivered

hoping mine will be here with in 2 weeks :)

stages them selves were painfull. I offered to buy 10-15 of them and they still wouldn't ship them too me...