Pinarello Veneto Vintage

toxmatt

Pinarello Veneto Vintage

Postby toxmatt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:27 am

Hello everybody!!!
I have this old Pinarello and i would like to know if someone can help me to identify the year of this Pinarello Veneto and give me some information about It.
Here you can find some pics of the bike:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89916919@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks a lot!
Matt

Stepr

Re: Pinarello Veneto Vintage

Postby Stepr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Matt, not quite sure of the vintage, however you may like to look at a few of the catalogues linked http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/ scroll dow to the pinarello cats.

I am not a Campagnolo officionado however it looks like you have Campy Gran Sport http://www.velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx? ... 4ba9433270 which according to Velobase was around from 1974-85. would have to do more research to narrow it down. just noticed the c ranks, probably guess at early 80s.

Cheers

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm no Camoy expert either, but your levers & calipers match my nuovo 'Record' ones, can't exactly date them for you but I'm guessing by the shape of the FD band , they're somewhere late 70's early 80's.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 pm

I recon it is a mid 80's built frame. It is probably made from a lower end Columbus tubing but that means little as it probably rides quite nicely. Lack of brazed-on fittings also indicate an economical build philosophy. The clamp-on Campagnolo components look like Nuovo Record which were probably a rung down the Campagnolo ladder but many people would prefer the look of the Nuovo Record components (typically the rear derailleur) than the top of the range Super Record components.

If your frame was a mid to late 80's build there were other Campagnolo groupsets that could have been used such as Victory and Triumph or C-Record, Croce d'Aune, Chorus, Athena, etc.

Personally I think this bike has a great group set that is most suitable for this frame and worth keeping. The brake callipers look to be another brand but could be replaced with the Campy callipers in time. The pantographed components are a definite bonus. A careful clean-up is all this bike needs.

Nice bike.

Stepr

Postby Stepr » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:26 pm

not sure about Record.... Quite clearly components are labeled Gran Sport. RD labeled 'Nouvo Gran Sport', cranks with GS, brake calipers -difficult to see a GS marking with the shine but Id say Gran Sport should have GS stamped there.

Nice bike....

tedsbikes

Postby tedsbikes » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Rear derailleur looks like a Nuovo Gran Sport. Gran Sport was a cheaper version of the Nuovo Record which went thruogh to about 85 when the C Record ( and CDA, Chorus etc started). If the cranks are Nuovo Record they should have a date stamp on the inside using the following system
Diamond = 70s
Circle = 80s
number = last digit of the year

exceptions 11= '85 22 = '86 33 = '87

Late SR always has square outside the number

If the hubs are Campagnolo the locknuts on the axles should also have a date stamped on the inside - you'll have to remove one to check.

Looks like a very nice bike and you should try to keep it original.

Ted

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Yes, my mistake, it is Gran Sport - which I feel is even better. Super Record and Nuovo Record are commonly represented on vintage bikes while Gran Sport is far less common.

austy37

Postby austy37 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:57 am

Love the crank and stem. Better get polishing eh. Image
IMG_0455 by Toxmatt, on Flickr

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Very difficult to accurately date Pinarellos. Stange model differences too. My Veneto has internal top tube routing. Usually only found on the Montello but have seen it on other Veneto pics on the web. I think mine is late 80s.