What are the thoughts on tubeless technology

rifraf

What are the thoughts on tubeless technology

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi,
I'm getting closer to making up my mind on a wheel build and not wanting to be a retrogrouch
I'd thought I'd ask the about the current thinking. My instincts tell me to stick with tubes but I'm sure there are some other valid opinions that
I'll fail to shoot down in flames :P Nah, not really. I wont be shooting anyones opinion down as I have no idea about the new tech having not kept up.
Its been pointed out that my potential build has a fussy rear end when it comes to wheel removal so I wondered if tubeless was the magic pill. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Cheesewheel

Re: What are the thoughts on tubeless technology

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:58 am

I considered going tubeless at one stage.

The big turn offs were that you basically need to set up camp if you have to change a tyre for whatever reason (clean down wheel, apply sealant and use a cannister or compressor to refill) and if it gets complicated for whatever reason (wheel rim/tyre damage) you don't have too many options to jury rig your way out of there.

Also when you are going for some sort of sealant in the tyre to fill in punctures you run the risk of it getting thrown into the drive train if the puncture is sizable enough (which offers another opportunity to set up camp ....).

IMHO the technology is still kind of new and raw and it seems more suited for racing or perhaps day trips or sojourns that don't take you too far away from a LBS or a car to drive it home in.

Here's a good summary of for and against

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodi ... beless.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However if you want a serious solution to flat tyres I suggest this creation by John Arad

http://player.vimeo.com/video/31088161? ... lor=fc370a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Cheesewheel on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go!Run!GAH!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:13 am

You must enjoy camping Cheesewheel :P ... if you get a puncture that doesn't seal itself then you have to fit a tube... can be a bit messy, maybe a tight fit, that's the only difference from a standard tyre.
Sealant on the drive chain being a problem ?... it isn't going to happen.

rifraf, there is a giant thread on tubeless somewhere on here... personally I was one of the first to try it because in Sydney I got sick of punctures, thats about 6 years ago now so the tech isn't that new. It worked well, would have been less hassle on tubeless specific rims as I did need a CO2 can for the first inflation, but apart from that it was great.

But since moving to France I only get one or two punctures a year, I can handle a puncture every 8,000kms or so. So I don't bother with tubeless anymore on my road bike. I change tyres often as I like racing on newish tyres, plus I can't be bother setting it up on a 50 or 80 mm wheel. MTB without question tubeless. I tried tubeless on my cross bike ( same wheels as roadie ) but didn't have much luck with it. But I may try again if I get tubeless specific wheels and tubeless cross tyres... but they aren't very common or all that good at the moment.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:46 am

Been running Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres on my Thorn Nomad for the past 7-8 years. I've done about 40,000 kms in that time and I'm yet to have a single penetration puncture. The tyres have lasted for over 14,000kms each and I just keep on rolling.

I am not aware of a single person using tubeless tyres for touring bikes in my club or amongst people I meet. I don't see much need for tubeless.... not for touring duty. MTBers may value them for the ability to run lower pressures, lighter weight and reduced rolling resistance, but I'm not in a race.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 pm

il padrone wrote:I am not aware of a single person using tubeless tyres for touring bikes in my club or amongst people I meet. I don't see much need for tubeless.... not for touring duty.
Me either - I've yet to have a puncture touring on Schwalbe tyres. And I'm using the light and fast Marathon Supremes, not the heavy duty Mondial and Plus models.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Good enough for me.
I'll stick with the tubes.
I cant whinge about puctures either. I had three coming over from NSW but I was riding every day for hours and that was for months.
I've been much slacker since arriving in WA. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:31 pm

RonK wrote:
il padrone wrote:I am not aware of a single person using tubeless tyres for touring bikes in my club or amongst people I meet. I don't see much need for tubeless.... not for touring duty.
Me either - I've yet to have a puncture touring on Schwalbe tyres. And I'm using the light and fast Marathon Supremes, not the heavy duty Mondial and Plus models.
I've punctured on Marathons, Big Apples, and the Plus.
Plus puncture was a fluke. Something got into a gouge in the tyre so popped in and the tyre spat it back out. I binned the tyre after that as it was getting close to the blue liner.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:43 am

Punctured twice with Schwalbe Marathon Mondial HS 428. Both times where the tyre on the trailer.

Andrew