Looking for new bike

eece

Looking for new bike

Postby eece » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:56 am

Hey guys, having little info on bikes, what's good, best brands etc. - I don't think that'll make any importance relating to my budget towards my bike. I'm looking in the $350-400 range, (probably not much choice) but I'm not looking for anything fancy. I enjoy riding through the bush/fire trails, and occasionally on tarmac. I don't need many gears either, possible 18 or even 12 would be ideal for me.

I was looking at a few bikes, and Giant Boulder 3 ('12) seems to be a solid choice. Any reason not to get this bike or look for other brands/models around the price range?

Cheers

mithba

Re: Looking for new bike

Postby mithba » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:36 pm

have you looked on bikeexchange.com.au ?
For that price range, if buying new, pretty much all bikes made by a "name brand" will be of similar quality.

eece

Postby eece » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Awesome, thanks for that. So far what I'm looking at is the Giant Boulder 3, GT Aggressor 3.0 and Trek 3500. With not knowing much about bikes, what are the key points when looking for differences to make my choice easier? What would you recommend out of these 3?

mithba

Postby mithba » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm

All three of those bikes are running about the same specs. The only bit that stands out to me is the giant has a better fork on it. 80mm of travel with preload adjuster. The trek is sort of the only one I personally wouldn't choose. The GT has the triple triangle frame which is pretty bulletproof.

I recently bought this bike from anaconda
http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Bike ... IL-X3-Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a road bike and thought it would be cool to get out on the tracks so got this for a steal. Took it for a ride today and if felt great. Highly recommended. Jamis is quite a reputable brand, not seen much in Australia though.

FatMuz

Postby FatMuz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 pm

I still think for anything under $1000, you need to be thinking second hand. Anything new at that price is not really meant for off-road riding no matter how tame. Just my opinion though.

Ronp

Postby Ronp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:47 pm

I agree with Fatmuz, look for some decent 2nd hand bikes online. or new bikes around that price will just crumple underneath you on the trails.