~=Queensland Retro Rides=~

Wazza

Re: ~=South-West Retro Rides=~

Postby Wazza » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Tennis has been cancelled so I'm waiting for the next 'excursion' to materialise from SWMBO.
Waz
Wazza

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Wazza wrote:Tennis has been cancelled so I'm waiting for the next 'excursion' to materialise from SWMBO.
Waz
So that's 'So Wal Must Be Obeyed', glad I got that right, so tennis is off & Le Tour de Retro is ON.

Wal42 wrote:2013 Le Tour de Retro

Ok, retro riders (oh & others), the 1st Annual (if we make it beyond the 1st) Le Tour de Retro, will occur on the 1st of January (oi, I'll still be partying from NYE, I hear ya say, well harden up princess!) 2013.

Time penalties shall be awarded to those riding non-steel framed bikes, using modern shifter/brake combinations, composite wheels, etc. but cheating is encouraged.

Prize money will be 1 million Greek Euro (which at current exchange rates is equivalent to the price of a large flat white) or 1 million US (if Obama can't do something quickly that will be equivalent to a cup of warm tap water from a council park bubbler), for the first rider across the finish line (with corrected time penalties).

Start time shall be 6am at Browning Street West End, since this is neither a UCI nor USADA sanctioned event, drug testing will be mandatory (if ya ain't on some kind of drugs then what kind of 'cyclist' are ya???, "Get off my train/peleton/team").

Hopefully Dr Michelle Ferrari will be at the start giving demonstrations, offering training tips, etc. , there will also be intravenous drip kits available & classes on blood transfusion & safe storing methods.

Come one, come all, this is a great way to introduce yourself to the world of pro racing, with experts from some 90's pro teams along to instruct you on how to race 'properly' (think omerta, etc).

Also gives you a chance to annoy the local constabulary (they hate seeing sober cyclists out when they're RBT'ing), they cannot understand the concept of what possess anyone to be out riding at that time of the morning on New Years Day.

Oh, by the way, a little disclaimer-------

There really isn't a fair dinkum race happening, all prize monies are restricted to a cup of coffee (if we can find a cafe open afterwards), members of 90's pro tour teams may not be in attendance, nor Dr Michelle Farrari. This whole 'event' may just be a social ride, the organisers take no responsibility for any accidents or injuries that anyone may encounter during this ride. Riding a pushbike is dangerous & you accept any outcomes of doing so.

See you there at 6am, I'll be there even if nobody else is.

Ok, the starting list is-

Wazza

Wal

Munga

Whom else?
Last edited by Wal42 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:06 pm

bonjour mon ami!!!!!

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:31 pm

maybe i should be more specific... yes i will be coming.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:15 pm

Me too.
Might not be retro biking though.
I am assuming that we are not riverlooping, which is good because i think i am a bit over the riverloop.
But i will probably go anywhere within reason, as long as it is "South-West" :?

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Yeah we are Riverlooping, have to detour around the Tennis Centre (an extra 2kms), so starters are-

Captain Crash aboard nutri grain (don't ask)

Wonderful Waz aboard Jeffs pride

Munga the Magnificent aboard Shoogie Bear

Vaeske the Vivacious aboard Beautiful Bianchi (?) (come on mate what are you riding tomorrow?)

Maybe Elantra the Electrifying aboard the Modern Missile.

Or do we do a reverse Riverloop, just to break things up???

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Ok peeps, results from today's Le Tour de Retro.

Drug testing at the start was a failure, only one rider was positive & that was pretty lame, some compound made from distilled molasses in cola (hey I'm innocent the team car passed it to me & I thought it was straight).

Results-

KOM 1(Go Between Bridge)-
1st (3 points)- Captn C
2nd (2 points)- The Vivacious One
3rd (1 point)- Mr Electrifying

KOM 2 (Sanford St)-
1st (3 points)-Captn C
2nd (2 point)- Most Wonderful

KOM 3 (Jerdanefield Rd)-
1st (3 points)- Captn C
2nd (2 points)- Most Wonderful

KOM 4 (The Esplanade)-
1st (3 points)- Captn C

At this point we see that Captn C was in the polka dot jersey (Say What :?: ), but at this point major mechanical issues surfaced (larger hills not the bumps we'd gone over to date)

KOM 5 (Hillside Terrace)-
1st (3 points)- The Vivacious One
2nd (2 points)- Mr Electrifying
3rd (1 point)- Captn C

Sprint point 1(Indooroopilly Rd)-
1st (3 points)- Captn C
3rd (1 point)- (DH) Mr Electrifying, Most Wonderful

Captn C unleashed his sprint with 500m to go, only to run out of legs with 100 to go, The Vivacious One tried to get over the top, but Captn C found a second wind & won the dive at the line by a wheel. Mr Electrifying & Most Wonderful couldn't be separated at the line so were both awarded 3rd place.

Sprint point 2 (King Arthur Terrace)-
This sprint had to be abandoned because some numpty :roll: decided to hold a freakin tennis event & close the road, didn't they know that there was a major International Cycling event taking place???????

KOM 6 (Tennyson Memorial Ave)-
1st (3 points)- Mr Electrifying
3rd (1 point)- Most Wonderful

KOM 7 (TJ Doyle Memorial Park Drive)-
2nd (2 points)- Captn C (Say What :?: :shock: )

KOM 8 (Gladstone Rd)-
2nd (2 points)- Captn C ( :shock: )

Sprint point 3 (Hoogley St)-
1st (3 points)- Captn C

Finish sprint (Browning St)-
1st (3 points) & Overall 1st place- Captn C
2nd (2 points) & 1st loser- The Vivacious One
3rd (1 point) & 2nd loser- Most Wonderful
4th (0 sprint point) & 3rd loser- Mr Electrifying

Final points---

KOM (polka dot jersey)-

17 points Captn C (there must be something to this doping, as no way that boat anchor could win King Of Mountain)
15 points & 1st place- The Vivacious One
10 points & 2nd - Mr Electrifying
6 points & 3rd - Most Wonderful

Sprint (green jersey)-

1st-9 points- Captn C
2nd-6 points- The Vivacious One
3rd-3 points- Most Wonderful

General Classification (malliot jaune)-

1st- Captn C
2nd- The Vivacious One
3rd- Most Wonderful
4th- Mr Electrifying

A wonderful effort by The Vivacious One when he discovered at the start line that his seatpost was jammed in the frame too low & that he couldn't set his seat in the right spot due to an errant seatpost clamp.
But the hero of the day was Captn C, what was thought to be a loose bidon cage turned out to be a loose cassette (maybe some idiot DH, forgot to put the spacer in when he fitted the cassette to the wheel the night before), but rumours abound that his bike was sabotaged prior to the race as he was the only person testing positive during the pre-race drug test, maybe the others thought he had an unfair advantage & attempted 'nobble' him, as it turned out, he took them to the cleaners (buggered if I know what you guys were doing back there, hey it ain't my fault, letting me win all those early climbs).

I think an enjoyable day was had, I'm currently uploading the vids, but ya won't see much cause you silly buggers let me sit on the front all day without any challenges, I think the best man (read cheat, but hey it was specifically stated that cheating was encouraged before hand) won on the day (hey I'm taking some 'artistic' licence here).

Video 1--http://youtu.be/FOd2Mg1a7SY

Video 2--http://youtu.be/sKtO9xX-5TI

Video 3--http://youtu.be/pB6tn5zJuXo

Video 4--http://youtu.be/HVoulEcBL_Q

Video 5--http://youtu.be/RBvt3Gfu21w

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi People,
Thought I might see who's interested in a 75km ride on Sunday 27th January. Start at Toombul Shopping town carpark (6am), bike path to Nudgee Rd, Boondall Wetlands, Shorncliffe, Redcliffe, Scarborough for breakkie then back via Snook St, the back of Brighton, Deagon, Sandgate Rd back to Toombul. Average pace ~25-28kph.
Waz
I couldn't get Bikely to accept my route Grrrrr!
Wazza

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:11 am

Wazza wrote:Hi People,
Thought I might see who's interested in a 75km ride on Sunday 27th January. Start at Toombul Shopping town carpark (6am), bike path to Nudgee Rd, Boondall Wetlands, Shorncliffe, Redcliffe, Scarborough for breakkie then back via Snook St, the back of Brighton, Deagon, Sandgate Rd back to Toombul. Average pace ~25-28kph.
Waz
I couldn't get Bikely to accept my route Grrrrr!
Ride date changed Sunday 20th January. Retro bikes are NOT necessary
Wazza

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Cancelled due to lack of interest.......
Wazza

munga

Postby munga » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:26 pm

cut and pasted from another thread:
Wal42 wrote: ... Blackwood Street Michelton to Nudgee Beach & return (I have to ride it tomorrow to make sure it is clear enough to ride), easy flat 50km round trip, just the thing for those of us doing the Prince Charles Hospital Charity ride on Sunday from Landsborough to Chermside. If the Kedron Brook bikeway is still a mess then we'll have to come up with an alternate flat easy 'warm up' ride.
rolling out at 6am on saturday morning, i assume?

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Bugger, somebody moved Michelton to the South-West of Brisbane :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

munga

Postby munga » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:33 pm

yeah i kinda buggered the title. it should read SOUTH EAST RETRO RIDES.

mebbe we let this thread die. :oops:

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Can you just change the title to Qld Retro Rides, that way any Qlder's can organise or advertise their retro ride.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: ~=Queensland Retro Rides=~

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:45 am

Wal42 wrote:Can you just change the title to Qld Retro Rides, that way any Qlder's can organise or advertise their retro ride.
He can't, I did. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:56 am

Good Man MB, thanks :wink:
Wazza

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:08 am

thank you muchly!

munga

Postby munga » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:08 am

thanks unkee Bill!

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Wal42 wrote:Can you just change the title to Qld Retro Rides, that way any Qlder's can organise or advertise their retro ride.
He can't, I did. :D

Thanks Shaun.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:24 am

Heading out shortly to ride KKB, I heard yesterday afternoon that there was still a fair bit of water across after the crit track, though that being tidal there any water would just disperse once the tide went out.

Start thinking about a back up route if it's not suitable.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:13 pm

It was mid tide, no water across the pathways, some sand on 2 of the lower level crossings before you get to the back of Stafford, after that all good to the end of the bikeway. The new bridge at Toombul is still closed & fenced off (how many weeks does it take the council?????), there is still some spots where there's a little sand (but only 1 mud spot) across the path.

Have to ask, that flood was Australia day, it's now 3 weeks later, do we have to borrow a bush fire brigade 4wd & clean up the bikeways ourselves or is the council ever going to get around to doing something?

That spot around the rowing club on the river loop is disgusting, I thought that would have been a fairly high priority for the council.

munga

Postby munga » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:07 pm

harcs wrote:OK Gold Coasters, I'll start the ball rolling on the Coast. First Saturday of every month leave from outside Storm Cycles on Golden Four Drive, Tugun at 6.30am sharp. We will travel south and go interstate where we gain an hour then cross the border again to have coffee at Coolangatta. I will be riding my 1940 Malvern Star and probably have my grandson with me. My phone number if running late, Rob, 0413749929. Have no idea how many their are down here but I do know their is a guy at Currumbin with a nice Gios.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Unless we get massive flooding before the end of the week, Saturday mornings ride will be from Blackwood Street Michelton to either Nudgee Beach & return or the end of Soorley Bikeway & back (if the weather is inclement), usual 6am start, for those never been before, there is parking at the railway station (accessed off Blackwood St).

I'm also need to borrow a 6 speed cluster if someone has one loose (I can pull one off one of my bikes), just need to check the thread size on a Campy hub I have here, so just need to screw it on (if it fits) then take it back off again. Give me a yell if you've got one lying around, or even if you've got one you don't need, I'll buy it from you if you want (I'm sure I'll need it down the track at some stage.

harcs

Postby harcs » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I am organizing a ride on the Gold Coast on the first Saturday of every month weather permitting. The first one is on the 2nd March and will be leaving from Storm Cycles Shop on Golden Four Drive, Tugun at 6.30am sharp. We will head south across the border and then return via Coolangatta for a coffee stop. Approximate distance is 30 kms. I will ride my 1940 Malvern Star Oppy Racer and I might manage to get my son there on a Shogun. Unfortunately the Chesini is not finished but will be for the Noosa Eroica. I know there are Retro people on the coast but I do not know them personally. So if you do can you give them the link. Terry Bosworth who runs Storm Cycles has some new Retro's but also a few old ones.
harcs Posts: 47Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:27 pm

harcs

Postby harcs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 am

It is not going to be raining on the Gold Coast on Saturday so get your bikes out and join us at Storm Cycles Shop on Golden Four Drive, Tugun at 6.30am sharp for a ride into NSW and back for coffee at Coolangatta. If running late ring Rob on 0413749929