ACF Strava Club

jules21

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:15 pm

Rhubarb wrote:It is also clear to me that I cannot sustain an output of 594W of power over 5 minutes like Strava has credited me with.
sucks to be you. strava has me at 700w :mrgreen:

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:01 pm

And here's the velomobile v tandem v DF roadie comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... xs#t=1245s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:26 pm

grantw wrote:
There are some indications that they are looking at a separate category for tandems, so perhaps in the near future there will be Toms as well as Koms and Qoms.
Before that I would like to see some strava stuff for MTB's. Strava treats a mountain bike ride like a road ride. Totally different pain IMHO.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:57 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
grantw wrote:
There are some indications that they are looking at a separate category for tandems, so perhaps in the near future there will be Toms as well as Koms and Qoms.
Before that I would like to see some strava stuff for MTB's. Strava treats a mountain bike ride like a road ride. Totally different pain IMHO.
You want the title of MOM ????

Seriously though, if the segment is on a challenging bush trail, it probably will be won be a MTB. They also have a generic MTB model for calculating power etc.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Tandems and velo mobiles are slower than guys doing motor pacing or riding with a killer tail wind... Unless said riders are also hunting flattish KOM's depending on wind direction. KOMs on the flats are just a bit of fun, the weather plays too big a part in them... KOMs up climbs, especially ones over 4 or 5% and longer than a couple of minutes do actually give you a good idea of where you stand in the cycling world ;-) .
Personally I definitely think about where to go hunting if there is a good wind blowing... It's all part of the fun.

Cyclopsx

Postby Cyclopsx » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 pm

I joined Strava this week, I see Garmin mentioned everywhere but not Polar, before I pay for the Premium option I would like to know if Polar heart rate monitors work with Strava.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 pm

I have updated my sig, staying as 1 line to keep RonnyK happy :mrgreen: , and have changed the fields to elevation and distance. However now it has last years included as well, instead of just this years. Does anyone know how to fix it to just get 2013 data inluded?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm

warthog1 wrote:I have updated my sig, staying as 1 line to keep RonnyK happy :mrgreen: , and have changed the fields to elevation and distance. However now it has last years included as well, instead of just this years. Does anyone know how to fix it to just get 2013 data inluded?
There's 2 distance and elevation fields in the drop down boxes to select fields. One is total (which you are using), and one is for the Year. Pick the other one :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 pm

InTheWoods wrote: There's 2 distance and elevation fields in the drop down boxes to select fields. One is total (which you are using), and one is for the Year. Pick the other one :)
Done, thanks for that :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:05 pm

Just finished my first two rides for 2013 - on BNE's citycycle hire bikes to and from lunch :-D

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Cyclopsx wrote:I joined Strava this week, I see Garmin mentioned everywhere but not Polar, before I pay for the Premium option I would like to know if Polar heart rate monitors work with Strava.

have a look at this http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?p=64024" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:37 pm

toolonglegs wrote: KOMs on the flats are just a bit of fun, the weather plays too big a part in them... KOMs up climbs, especially ones over 4 or 5% and longer than a couple of minutes do actually give you a good idea of where you stand in the cycling world ;-)
Amen to that, however I proudly retain my status as KOM over an insignificant piece of deserted country road in WA that I didn't even know was a segment, that hardly anyone ever rides and has a pimple of a 10m rise in an otherwise completely flat, straight road. :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:54 pm

toolonglegs wrote: KOMs on the flats are just a bit of fun, the weather plays too big a part in them... KOMs up climbs, especially ones over 4 or 5% and longer than a couple of minutes do actually give you a good idea of where you stand in the cycling world ;-)
the problem with the ones up climbs is that there is a select bunch between whom they're all shared, and the rest of us can't get within a bull's roar of.

i'm clinging to my 2/880 on a downhill section on my commute home :)

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:43 pm

I lost one of my two KOMs on Wednesday - to two riders.
It's a Northbound 900m section - 65% flattish and the last 35% is uphill
http://app.strava.com/segments/972860" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wednesday was windy... with 30km/h winds from the South / South East :roll:

Serves me right for not riding this week.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm

scirocco wrote:
Amen to that, however I proudly retain my status as KOM over an insignificant piece of deserted country road in WA that I didn't even know was a segment, that hardly anyone ever rides and has a pimple of a 10m rise in an otherwise completely flat, straight road. :)
Hey it might be fun, but it is serious fun :D ... even with wind aid, tt bikes & maybe motor pacing there are still some very hard fought for flat kom's around :lol: .
jules21 wrote:
the problem with the ones up climbs is that there is a select bunch between whom they're all shared, and the rest of us can't get within a bull's roar of.

i'm clinging to my 2/880 on a downhill section on my commute home :)
Luckily I have hundreds of Cat 4 up to HC climbs around that some of us can fight over the crumbs, plenty of non Stava'd climbs around yet to claim :D . But we have two of the strongest amateur clubs in France close by, plenty of National and even world champions around... their times up the most popular climbs are staggering. But then you get a race with the real big names going over some of them and they take it to an insane level :shock: .

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Around my parts the roads are blasted by serious A grade racers, so my driveway KOM is about all I can hope to own, though given a favorable wind I've gone top 20 on a few segments, top 10 on a couple. Top 5 on one. I find these comparisons fun but understand I'm not in the competition, I'm just a statistical anomaly. Or an atomospheric one

When riding on the road with my friends however, we will compete on segments or agreed "race you to the next corner" type things - those competitions are priceless (and wins albeit few in my case) but we have some fun and motivate ourselves regardless of the elite guys.

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 pm

scirocco wrote:
Just curious. Where abouts is it?

And no. I don't want to steal it from you. :wink:
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 pm

R12RT wrote:
scirocco wrote:
Just curious. Where abouts is it?

And no. I don't want to steal it from you. :wink:
I do rrrraaaaaahhhhhhhhhh :)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:41 am

Seems I lost my one KOM... http://app.strava.com/segments/821190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At least I lost it to Jason Bray who is in the same MTB club as I am.

Gotta get my fitness back and have another crack at it.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 am

Took the Parriwi KOM this morning. Made my day as it's a fairly popular (albeit small) climb :D

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 am

Joined the group today. I'm "Dion Knowles" in case anyone knows/sees me.

Hope to score a 200mile award after tomorrow's ride and get the year off to a decent start.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 am

BrisVegas wrote:Joined the group today. I'm "Dion Knowles" in case anyone knows/sees me.

Hope to score a 200mile award after tomorrow's ride and get the year off to a decent start.
Hi Dion,

Might see u round the traps one day.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

Dimma wrote:
BrisVegas wrote:Joined the group today. I'm "Dion Knowles" in case anyone knows/sees me.

Hi Dion,

Might see u round the traps one day.

Cheers Damien (I presume). Just looking at your strava profile. OMGosh! You sure rack up the miles! Top stuff mate. I'm a noobie still, but am trying to up the miles this year.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I joined the ACF club today, just after I achieved the 200 miles :-) I'm listed in Strava as SG darkelf921
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Milar

Postby Milar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Late start to the year due to holidays. I extended the commute a bit yesterday and surprised myself with a 10th place on a small quiet segment :D. So I did it again this morning with some urgency and grabbed the KOM by 0:01 8). Felt a little bad after looking into it as it was the previous KOM's only one.