Sram FD adjustment (Rival)

Mustang

Sram FD adjustment (Rival)

Postby Mustang » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Problem 1: I get occasional over shifts coming onto the big ring, even with the limit screw trimmed, If I adjust it a fraction tighter then the chain will not shift up from the small ring?

Question 1: On utube there is a Sram derailleur adjustment instruction, they suggest there are two positions for the FD adjustment on the small chain ring.
(Rival & Force)
I have never had this? the shifting lever goes up one click to the big ring & two clicks down to the small ring? sounds like it should be two clicks to change to the big ring & one click to the small ring?
The group has done 14K kilometers. Recent new cassette / chain & cables.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Sram FD adjustment (Rival)

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Never wrenched SRAM road groups, do they have a trim function in the front shifter?

Slacking the cable tension by a teensy bit may help but this is guesswork...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Mustang wrote:Problem 1: I get occasional over shifts coming onto the big ring, even with the limit screw trimmed, If I adjust it a fraction tighter then the chain will not shift up from the small ring?

Question 1: On utube there is a Sram derailleur adjustment instruction, they suggest there are two positions for the FD adjustment on the small chain ring.
(Rival & Force)
I have never had this? the shifting lever goes up one click to the big ring & two clicks down to the small ring? sounds like it should be two clicks to change to the big ring & one click to the small ring?
The group has done 14K kilometers. Recent new cassette / chain & cables.
I have the same issue with my SRAM Apex FD. It is a right pain.

The trim behavior is correct. One click up to the big ring, then one click down is the trim position (on the big ring), and the second click down is to go to the small ring.

On my APEX FD, the cage is actually too wide to the point where the trim feature can't be used as the chain never touches the sides of the cage in any position. When I switched to a Rival FD I had the same issues you describe. I found that rotating the FD slightly did help, but it is still nowhere near as good as my Shimano FD.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 am

Hi Mulgar Bill,
tried all sorts of tension
Hi Qeenqueg,
This system was great for 18mths then it started not shifting up to the big ring, then out of the blue started overshifting.
I have had it to two shops :lol:, one had a very dim view of Sram . Interesting that the Sram instruction suggests there is two adjustments on the small ring, yet yours & mine are the reverse, must be a different generation?
Think I'll just switch to Campagnolo, both my old bikes with down tube shifters never give trouble :D
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:54 am

Mustang wrote:Hi Mulgar Bill,
tried all sorts of tension
Hi Qeenqueg,
This system was great for 18mths then it started not shifting up to the big ring, then out of the blue started overshifting.
I have had it to two shops :lol:, one had a very dim view of Sram . Interesting that the Sram instruction suggests there is two adjustments on the small ring, yet yours & mine are the reverse, must be a different generation?
Think I'll just switch to Campagnolo, both my old bikes with down tube shifters never give trouble :D
when the time comes I am going to replace my FD and cranks with Shimano. The front shifting on my road bike is smooth as silk. The SRAM shifting on my commuter bike is average. The over shifting issue seems to be caused by two things. firstly, there is a large enough gap between the outer cage plate and the chain such that the chain will fit in the gap, so there is nothing preventing it from falling off the big ring. second issue is that as the chain ramps from small to big ring, I can see the chain catch the teeth on the big ring and angle outwards for the first rotation of the big ring. sometimes it angles too far and slips off into the gap. There is no pattern.
it is a shame because overall I like the SRAM shifters for commuting, and rear shifting is very precise.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks for the feedback Mustang, one more little fact to tuck away :)

I'm just thinking aloud here...
By queequegs testimony, the FD cage seems to be wider than necessary, could it be bush mechanic'd a little narrower without borking anything else?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 am

[/quote]
Mulger bill wrote:Thanks for the feedback Mustang, one more little fact to tuck away :)

I'm just thinking aloud here...
By queequegs testimony, the FD cage seems to be wider than necessary, could it be bush mechanic'd a little narrower without borking anything else?

Shaun
"This is to be my next project, the outside rail looks too flaired, but success for now."
queequegs wrote:when the time comes I am going to replace my FD and cranks with Shimano. The front shifting on my road bike is smooth as silk. The SRAM shifting on my commuter bike is average. The over shifting issue seems to be caused by two things. firstly, there is a large enough gap between the outer cage plate and the chain such that the chain will fit in the gap, so there is nothing preventing it from falling off the big ring. second issue is that as the chain ramps from small to big ring, I can see the chain catch the teeth on the big ring and angle outwards for the first rotation of the big ring. sometimes it angles too far and slips off into the gap. There is no pattern.it is a shame because overall I like the SRAM shifters for commuting, and rear shifting is very precise.[quote queequegs "]

"This is my experience to a tee"

" On another forum after much searching a members plight suggested the clamp may need re-aligning. As al else has had little effect I decided to try, low & behold the clamp screw was very easy to undo.
I alined the outside rail with the chain then a couple of mm towards the frame, bingo shifts better than ever, I gingerly retightned it to 2NM
Thanks guys for your interest, a common find on the net was to change the Sram FD for a Shimano DA7800".
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:41 am

queequeg wrote:
when the time comes I am going to replace my FD and cranks with Shimano. The front shifting on my road bike is smooth as silk. The SRAM shifting on my commuter bike is average. The over shifting issue seems to be caused by two things. firstly, there is a large enough gap between the outer cage plate and the chain such that the chain will fit in the gap, so there is nothing preventing it from falling off the big ring. second issue is that as the chain ramps from small to big ring, I can see the chain catch the teeth on the big ring and angle outwards for the first rotation of the big ring. sometimes it angles too far and slips off into the gap. There is no pattern.
it is a shame because overall I like the SRAM shifters for commuting, and rear shifting is very precise.
Would you just change FD & cranks & leave the RD & chain as Sram?
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 am

Mustang wrote:
queequeg wrote:
Would you just change FD & cranks & leave the RD & chain as Sram?
Yes, I have no issues with the RD & chain. In fact, I used the APEX setup because I can run a 50/34 Crankset with a 10-Speed 11-32 cassette. Initially I will swap just the FD to Shimano. I can only do this at the next chain change because the Shimano FDs don't typically have a screw on the cage to let you swap it without breaking the chain. At least, my Ultegra 6700 FD on the road bike doesn't. It has a rivet instead.