Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest Rims - tyre fitting issues

queequeg

Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest Rims - tyre fitting issues

Postby queequeg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 am

I got my CX bike late last year and it came with a disc wheelset based on SRAM X9 Hubs with NoTubes ZTR Crest Rims, which are allegedly a ETRTO 622 sized rim. The problem I had is that no matter how many different tyres I tried, none would fit onto the rim. Even the tyres that the wheels came with were a lost cause.

A scan of the forums revealed I am not the only one with these issues with these particular rims, but there were also many people who claim they had no issues with them. I thought it was just me, so I had the lbs give it a go without telling them of the issues I had. They called me up and declared that it was impossible to fit tyres to these rims. They had tried every possible tyre they had in stock without success.

In the end I had a new wheelset made on standard road rims. In the meantime the unused wheels have been sitting in my garage as I had no idea what to do with them.

So, I am doing a garage cleanout and these wheels are on my list. I don't think I could in good conscience sell them to someone knowing that I had all these issues with them, so I am not sure how exactly to proceed. Has anyone had similar issues with the ZTR Crest rims? Should I just dismantle the wheels, bin the rims and sell the hubs on their own?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

mitzikatzi

Re: Stans NoTubes ZTR Crest Rims - tyre fitting issues

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 am

Have you tried "proper" 29er tyres ie 2.25" Do they fit?

Sell them. No tubes rims are known to be difficult to fit tyres to.

If the price was right I would buy them happily.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:36 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Have you tried "proper" 29er tyres ie 2.25" Do they fit?

Sell them. No tubes rims are known to be difficult to fit tyres to.

If the price was right I would buy them happily.
I did not personally try extra wide tyres on them, just CX tyres. That is what the bike came with. Wide tyres won't help me, so selling appears to be the best option. I just don't want someone telling me that I sold them a dud.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:50 pm

I was wondering if "wider" tyres might be easier to fit hence the fitting issue might not be an issue for a future owner.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:07 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I was wondering if "wider" tyres might be easier to fit hence the fitting issue might not be an issue for a future owner.
I don't think the issue is tyre width as much as it is that the rims are designed to run tubeless. Word is that although they are supposedly 622 ETRTO rims, notubes makes them a tad bigger to ensure a tight fit. maybe a bit too tight!

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 pm

I have some narrow 26er tyres (1 1/8") that are very difficult to mount on my rims (mavic), wider tyres fit really easily onto the same rim. I wonder if wider tyres are easier to fit, more give in the side walls?

I recently mounted tyres onto Stans ZTR 355 rims. I followed the Stans video and took care to ensure the tyre was in the bed of the rim and used a little talcum powder. While they were a snug fit the tyres went on.

Just sell them with the caveat that you had trouble mounting tyres to the rims.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:24 am

I undertand tubeless tyres are tighter and stay tighter, what I read, dont know from experience.
I am guessing your running normal tyres on your "normal" rims?

Have you tried putting your current tyres on those troublesome rims? I couldn't get gp4000s tyres on my rims due to a tight tyre and shallow bed on my rims. I mounted them on a older wheel with a deeper bed and pumped it up to stretch it first.

That did the trick, stretched enough to get the tyre on my rim, with a little trouble. After riding on them for a while, they are now very loose.

Does not really answer your question, but might be worth trying if your interested.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:43 am

eeksll wrote:I undertand tubeless tyres are tighter and stay tighter, what I read, dont know from experience.
I am guessing your running normal tyres on your "normal" rims?

Have you tried putting your current tyres on those troublesome rims? I couldn't get gp4000s tyres on my rims due to a tight tyre and shallow bed on my rims. I mounted them on a older wheel with a deeper bed and pumped it up to stretch it first.

That did the trick, stretched enough to get the tyre on my rim, with a little trouble. After riding on them for a while, they are now very loose.

Does not really answer your question, but might be worth trying if your interested.
Yes, I tried everything, including fitting my existing tyres to the new rims. In fact, those were the tyres I gave the bike shop to try for me (after I gave them a go, snapped a tyre lever in the process, then gave up!). Even getting the first bead over these rims was a challenge, and because the channel in the middle is quite shallow it does not give the tyre much play. We tried all sorts tricks such as using high pressure tape instead of cloth rim tape, but it was just an overall nightmare. As this is my commuting bike, tyres must come off and back on easily. These wheels are not suitable for that.

So, I'll be doing a garage cleanout in the next two weeks, and these will probably come up on the market place for a bargain basement price.

Jonny Rochester

Postby Jonny Rochester » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:57 am

When you are using the tyre lever, the tyre beads on the opposite side of the wheel must be pushed to the center of the rim.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 pm

If you were local (Brisbane) I'd be able to fit folding bead MTB tyres to them, but not so sure about a 35c CX tyre ?

Between my Wife & I there are 6 sets of Stans wheels in the house ranging from the old 355's, Crest & Arch models. ALL of them are super tight especially the Crest & (355's, former crest).

To fit a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 with folding beads I use soapy water & 3 tyre levers. It is a mammoth effort & takes much patience + swearing.

After they've been fitted for a couple of weeks they can be removed & re-fitted with my thumbs only.

I don't particularly need another set of MTB wheels, but I'd buy them without hesitation & wouldn't be concerned about the tight fitment issue.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:24 am

Jonny Rochester wrote:When you are using the tyre lever, the tyre beads on the opposite side of the wheel must be pushed to the center of the rim.
That won't work when it is the first tyre bead you are trying to get on the rim. When I did finally get a tyre onto the rim it was so tight that the rim tape got pulled off as the tyre inflated, then the tyre blew off the rim!

Anyway, as a commuter wheel it is too much hassle, so these will be on sale soon!