First clipstack

Venus62

First clipstack

Postby Venus62 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:05 pm

:oops:
Well it had to happen, and as Lisa mentioned on another thread that the women's section had been quiet, I thought I'd share. I picked up my new bike 2 weeks ago and successfully did my first couple of rides in cleats. I had also been practising in spin classes so was feeling pretty pleased. I had to take my bike back to the bike shop from whence it came as the front crank set wouldn't shift to the big chainring. That was all sorted but the bike was still on the big cog when I went for a ride this morning. A lovely ride with hubby and another couple from Moffat Beach to Mooloolaba for brekky and back. First slight hill I realised I wasn't anywhere near the right gear, lost momentum, and ever so slowly fell to my right, still clipped in. Only pride wounded... Rest of the ride was uneventful and very pleasant. I can already feel my bike fitness improving (but still have a long way to go).

Stacka

Re: First clipstack

Postby Stacka » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi

I share your embarrassment. I have been riding for a few months and have clip stacked twice! Highly embarrassing, but luckily I was only with close friends.

Everyone has to do it at some stage. You are not a true cyclist if you haven fallen off!

:D

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Only done it twice. Once due to hesitation at a security gate at work. Made the security guards day.

Second time was across the road from a construction site. Not sure if the sounds coming from the workers were sympathetic or facetious. Strongly suspect the latter :mrgreen:

Gotta laugh about it. Not much else you can do.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Totally agree, all you can do is laugh. I've clipstacked twice also, once after I stopped suddenly to avoid a car that decided not to use an indicator and the second time i just stopped and for some reason could not unclip fast enough! :oops:
On both occasions I got laughed at, although I did also get asked if i was ok or if i needed help.
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Just remember, there are two types of cyclists

Those that have fallen, and those who are about to fall.

Congrats for getting the first one out of the way

Cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

ratter

Postby ratter » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 am

now that your clipstack is out of the way, you can continue to enjoy the rest of your cycling :)

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks all!

I did learn that is more natural for me to unclip my right foot when stopping; I had been doing my left so another lesson learned! As falls go this was a very gentle one. I have fallen pre-cleats and left a decent amount of skin on the road... :cry:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:19 pm

I've done two so far - one when practising on a deserted road in the middle of the country after just purchasing the bike and my first cleats (no witnesses!), the second when on too big a chainring in the car park at work going up the basement ramp and unclipped the wrong side's pedal as for some reason I decided to unclip that one and leant the usual way. Also no witnesses for this second one although I'm sure it was caught on the security camera for the security guards' pleasure. :D

I also feel more comfortable unclipping my right foot although it does make it difficult going along the bike lanes beside the cars in the city at traffic lights when they decide to put their cars halfway into it. :roll:

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 pm

I've never clipstacked, but have come close. I have the clips on the loosest setting to be able to unclip quickly when necessarily, and have occasionally unclipped accidentally at speed because of this.

Sometimes I wonder if the advantages of being locked into the pedals aren't outweighed by the risks. There has to be a better system.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Everyone stacks .. part of life on a bike!
Pick yourself up, laugh and get back on the bike again!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am

Clip stacks are normal. I am a seasoned clip wearer and most recently managed to lose balance and struggle with releasing the cleats until the last second. It didn't end up in a stack, but i did manage to stomp on my 5yo sons foot in the panicked response at potentially toppling over on top of him as he pushed his bike up the hill. I was attempting to dismount and give him a hand. Fortuantely no lasting damage.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:57 am

Ahh, there's nothing like a good clip stack to remind you to stay aware of what you're doing.

My last stack was a few months ago at a quiet intersection (at the lights).
I was slowly rolling up towards the lights waiting for them to turn green and unclipped my left foot in anticipation but kept rolling closer and closer to the line.
The lights took alot longer than I expected and as I got to the line and found the lights were still on red I went to put my left foor down but without thinking, slightly turned my front wheel, making the bike lean to the right and OVER I went.

I lay under my bike laughing out loudly until I heard a car approaching (which stopped and the driver asked if I was OK). To try and avoid looking like a complete idiot I took a long hard look at my pedal and blamed it for sticking and not letting my foot release....which I think the driver believed and drove off. I jumped back on the bike without any injuries and away I went....

As others have said, we all do it (or will do it at some point in time), so don't feel bad.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:12 am

Meh, you aren't a real clipless rider until you've clipstacked at least once-preferably in front of a snickering crowd. My first happened at the local train station just after a train arrived and disgorged hundreds in the afternoon peak :oops:

Welcome to the club Venus :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:01 pm

DoogleDave wrote: I went to put my left foor down but without thinking, slightly turned my front wheel, making the bike lean to the right and OVER I went.
That reminds me of a near clip stack I had once. I did the same thing but managed to get my left foot down in between the cranks and front wheel on the right if the bike and catch myself... Just. If the wind blew the wrong way I would have gone back over on the left.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Or like my mate did, in front of a group of chicks last weekend lol
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:40 pm

Does anyone know of a style or brand of clips less prone to clipstacks, hilarious or otherwise? Or a brand/style to avoid?

Magnum9

Postby Magnum9 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 pm

The MTB style SPD ones are a lot more forgiving than Look style road ones. You can get the tension loose enough that your foot will pull out while straight.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:04 pm

Tooling around on the mtb the other week with my 6yo nephews. Wheel stands and fishtails :lol: Managed to clipstack for no apparent reason much to the amusement of the kids. I'm sure the half dozen cans I'd had during the arvo had nothing to do with it.

That is the first one in about 20,000km. The last one was in Geelong at the world champs, riding around spectating, went to take off uphill on the grass and got wheelspin=me flopping on the ground like a doofus, right in front of a family setup in the driveway with tv and stuff watching the racing. :mrgreen: :oops: