OnTheBike

Postby OnTheBike » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Ladies!

Im a newbie bikie. Im 33 and the last time I was on a bike was about 17 years ago!

Having said that, Ive just bought my first Giant Road Bike (though already I am also thinking a mountain bike would be fun to have too and what could I possibly upgrade to in the road range!) and was smitten from our first date! Im still getting a handle (pardon the pun) on gear changing etc and feeling comfortable on the handlebars and being out on the road. Im not yet riding in cleats, though im sure its my next obstacle.

My biggest obstacle is the fact that I have around 45kg to lose. Im already down nearly 20 through boxing and walking and a very careful diet.

Eventually I want to do endurance rides with packs. And some racing.

Now, even skinny I still have defined calves and quads and quite a shapely leg, I think that Im just naturally a bit muscular (endo/meso) but Ive been warned off cycling because it will make my butt and legs bigger. Is this actually true? I love being on the bike; I feel unstoppable on it, even just cruising down the road. But I want to build lean endurance muscle. Im not afraid of being muscular, but I dont want things to get bigger!

Also, Ive read that core work is really important - I observed on the bike that I tend to lock up my arms and shoulders to support myself, rather than my core, resulting in a deathgrip on the handles and numb hands. The more nervous I get, the more I feel like im not in control. Will this come with time?

Any more advice for me? Right now I feel unco (though my Mentor - who is a man - thinks im doing really well all things considered), but I want to make this my life (well not all of it...but a very big part of it!)

Eleri

Re: Newbie

Postby Eleri » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:33 pm

No, it's not true.

Unless, perhaps, you decide to take up sprinting on the track and even then it will take years and a huge amount of effort and very specific training to build that sort of muscle.

If you are riding distances and up hills, then you are likely to lose more weight rather than build muscle. Most cyclists are lean rather than have big muscles, regardless of gender.

newie

Postby newie » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:23 pm

OnTheBike wrote:Hi Ladies!
Welcome!!!
OnTheBike wrote: Ive been warned off cycling because it will make my butt and legs bigger. Is this actually true?
Definitely not true. Have a look at all the "serious" cyclists out there on the roads. They're all really lean. Although my thigh muscles have developed since taking up cycling, overall my legs, thighs and bum are much leaner than they have ever been (well, since puberty anway).
OnTheBike wrote:I love being on the bike; I feel unstoppable on it, even just cruising down the road.
I see you have discovered that cycling is the second most fun way there is to get some exercise....
OnTheBike wrote:Also, Ive read that core work is really important - I observed on the bike that I tend to lock up my arms and shoulders to support myself, rather than my core, resulting in a deathgrip on the handles and numb hands. The more nervous I get, the more I feel like im not in control. Will this come with time?
You could actively do some things to improve your core. But my approach has simply to be to get out there, do plenty of kms and just enjoy riding my bike. With time, my core strength has improved just through riding. As a consequence I don't get the same little niggles that I did early days. Having said that, if it is anything other than a slight and transient niggle, then you might want to look at your set up on the bike. When I first started riding I had the stem flipped the other way and double wrap bar tape. These days it isn't needed.

Time on the bike means you adjust and relax as well. With time you feel at ease and in control on the bike. Well, at least until your first serious stack, which I found knocked my confidence back for a while.
OnTheBike wrote:Any more advice for me?
Have fun!

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Eleri wrote:If you are riding distances and up hills, then you are likely to lose more weight rather than build muscle. Most cyclists are lean rather than have big muscles, regardless of gender.
Eleri, something is wrong then with me. :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 am

Nuffin wrong with you

- that riding your bike more won't fix :-)

See you in February.

bumblebea

Postby bumblebea » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:43 pm

hi Newbie,

i am new to cycling as well, just over a year now. it has done wonders for my butt and legs!! i would recommend you get cleats asap, they make a huge difference on hills. and enjoy!