Azzurri's are tough

warthog1

Azzurri's are tough

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:42 pm

The mighty Primo has done upwards of 40k I reckon, has been crashed several times, and outlived a few wheels. Old photo, now has 6700 shifters, still going strong.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

just4tehhalibut

Re: Azzurri's are tough

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:09 am

Didn't quite work out the same for me, I have the same model in colour and alloy/carbon construction (from 2006) and it lasted only a year before the thread on the righthand side of the bottom bracket gave way, rendering the bike useless. And half that year was off the bike because of sudden hospitalisation ex bike (No one ever expects the hospitalisation). It was a quick bike but I had to be aware of pedal overlap. It rode well, especially in the hills of Adelaide so I've kept the frame hoping for some way to resurrect it. Overall was a very good value, quality bike for its day.
Of course these days the Primo is not alloy with carbon stays but wholly carbon. Hopefully Azzurri have still got that performance and handling dialled in.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 am

warthog1 wrote:The mighty Primo has done upwards of 40k I reckon, has been crashed several times, and outlived a few wheels. Old photo, now has 6700 shifters, still going strong.
Didn't you say it's flexy compared with the S5? Could it be that the extra distance has made a difference to the carbon stays?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:...the thread on the righthand side of the bottom bracket gave way, rendering the bike useless.
Can you get a Helicoil kit (or similar repair kit) for it? Otherwise Gripsport should know how to fix it, if it really matters.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Nobody wrote:Didn't you say it's flexy compared with the S5? Could it be that the extra distance has made a difference to the carbon stays?
Yes it is flexy compared to the Cervelo which is faster everywhere. Its been strong for me though and has been a good bike especially considering it was fairly cheap. Still my daily commute and the bike I would take on a long ride as it has a softer ride than the Cervelo, probably due to the flexy seat stays. Steers a bit slower too so a bit less nervous on descents.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:29 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Didn't quite work out the same for me, I have the same model in colour and alloy/carbon construction (from 2006) and it lasted only a year before the thread on the righthand side of the bottom bracket gave way, rendering the bike useless. And half that year was off the bike because of sudden hospitalisation ex bike (No one ever expects the hospitalisation). It was a quick bike but I had to be aware of pedal overlap. It rode well, especially in the hills of Adelaide so I've kept the frame hoping for some way to resurrect it. Overall was a very good value, quality bike for its day.
Of course these days the Primo is not alloy with carbon stays but wholly carbon. Hopefully Azzurri have still got that performance and handling dialled in.
Sorry to hear that. :(
My bb threads have been good as I have had the bearing cups out several times and replaced once, searching for a creak that turned out to be a rear hub and loose pedals :oops:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Oops, Azzurri's are not so tough. :(
Badly cracked drive side chain stay. The frame is kaput.

On the look out for a cheapish but durable road frame with mudguard lugs. I'll swap the bits off the primo on to it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:12 pm

warthog1 wrote:Oops, Azzurri's are not so tough. :(
Oh, this is priceless! :lol:
It's Al, it was only a matter of time and Kms. Just expected a bit more time than a few months before getting to gloat. :P
warthog1 wrote:On the look out for a cheapish but durable road frame with mudguard lugs. I'll swap the bits off the primo on to it.
TLL and Twizzle have had good experiences so far with the Ribble framesets which are cheap. Because most people don't do a lot of Kms on their bikes, you should fare well with a secondhand frameset. Both my Al frames are secondhand.

Of course if you want to have a frame for 20 years, then get a heavy duty steel one. But somehow I think you're too much of a WW to own durable stuff. :P

If the Surly CC ever cracks and I'm still alive on these forums, I'll let you know. :D

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:38 pm

What frame size do you ride and where are you? I could help you out with a 60cm 2008 Trek 1.9 frameset - happy to donate same, if you are in / near Melbourne. It does have some mounting lugs on it.

cheers

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:02 pm

macca33 wrote:What frame size do you ride and where are you? I could help you out with a 60cm 2008 Trek 1.9 frameset - happy to donate same, if you are in / near Melbourne. It does have some mounting lugs on it.

cheers
That is mighty generous of you Macca thanks very much, what a good bloke you must be:) :)

I'm in Bendigo so that is pretty close by, but the frame is a bit big for me. I'm after a 56-57cm tt.
As per Nobody I reckon I'm onto a steel ribble frame that is pretty cheap and I can mudguard up.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Nobody wrote:
Oh, this is priceless! :lol:
It's Al, it was only a matter of time and Kms. Just expected a bit more time than a few months before getting to gloat. :P
warthog1 wrote:On the look out for a cheapish but durable road frame with mudguard lugs. I'll swap the bits off the primo on to it.
TLL and Twizzle have had good experiences so far with the Ribble framesets which are cheap. Because most people don't do a lot of Kms on their bikes, you should fare well with a secondhand frameset. Both my Al frames are secondhand.

Of course if you want to have a frame for 20 years, then get a heavy duty steel one. But somehow I think you're too much of a WW to own durable stuff. :P

If the Surly CC ever cracks and I'm still alive on these forums, I'll let you know. :D
You are a nasty man Nobody :x :lol:
The frame is not that light so I figured it would keep on keeping on. Oh well at least it wasn't the carbon that failed :P.

This Ribble audax frame looks the go thus far.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:42 pm

:( aww so no crabon crash pron lol. It's a decent sized crack, did you just find it when cleaning the bike or was there a noise or movement?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 pm

warthog1 wrote:You are a nasty man Nobody :x :lol:
Yes, I know. :wink:
warthog1 wrote:The frame is not that light so I figured it would keep on keeping on. Oh well at least it wasn't the carbon that failed :P.
When I was doing windsurfing, people on those forums would say low grade carbon goes more flexy and high grade carbon cracks. I suppose that's why your bike went the flexy way. Discerning cyclists might say that the carbon part has been dead for a while. :idea:
warthog1 wrote:This Ribble audax frame looks the go thus far.
You can see the geometries for these frames in the "Bike Builder" section. Unfortunately the 525 isn't in there. But it might give you an idea. I suppose you can e-mail Ribble and ask for the geometry chart.

Of course I would get the 525, but I think both TLL and Twizzle have the 7005 Audax/Winter frames. How Ribble do either for the money is amazing. Rather than get their supplied fork, this might be a good time to do a disc conversion if you can spare the money.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 pm

Nobody wrote:
Of course I would get the 525, but I think both TLL and Twizzle have the 7005 Audax/Winter frames. How Ribble do either for the money is amazing. Rather than get their supplied fork, this might be a good time to do a disc conversion if you can spare the money.
Hopefully I can use the fork off the Azzurri until the funds are allowed, but that is the cunning plan at this stage. :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:26 pm

ldrcycles wrote::( aww so no crabon crash pron lol. It's a decent sized crack, did you just find it when cleaning the bike or was there a noise or movement?
Last couple of commutes there has been an odd pinging sound occasionally. I just thought it was a spoke in the cheap rear wheel.
I went to wipe and relube the chain this arvo and saw a black line that wouldn't wipe away.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Nobody wrote:
Hopefully I can use the fork off the Azzurri until the funds are allowed, but that is the cunning plan at this stage. :)
Alloy steerer on the fork? Probably a good time to put it out to pasture as well.

Sent from my iThingy...

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 pm

I have a Ribble Ultralite to offload if you need it, have both the original fork and a Merida fork with carbon steerer for it too

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 am

twizzle wrote: Alloy steerer on the fork? Probably a good time to put it out to pasture as well.

Yes it is an alloy steerer and I'll have a good look at it when I strip the frame. You are probably right, I have some good descents on my commute, a broken steerer would not be good. The Azzurri fork wouldn't be there long.
I plan to put a front disc fork on eventually so will just be a stop gap until the funds allow.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 am

Jesmol wrote:I have a Ribble Ultralite to offload if you need it, have both the original fork and a Merida fork with carbon steerer for it too
Thanks mate :) .
Nobody is right I am a weight weenie, but I'm going heavier and stronger with the next frame as it will be an all weather commuter primarily.
The steel Ribble frame looks the go at this stage.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:39 am

This is me commuting at the moment (thanks Nobody). Only mine is a P2 and I'm not using a disc.
Did the 42k long commute in for night shift tonight. Shitzen but it is fast compared to the Azzurri :o
Same commute the day before on the Azzurri was 10 minutes slower. Same effort, fairly hard but not flat out, same load in back pack both times.
My Garmin shows times for 5k segments and the the Cervelo was even quicker on one that is predominantly uphill, dont know how that works :?
Maybe I should just turn the P2 into a commuter, bit hard to mount everything though. :lol:
Last edited by warthog1 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 am

Just make sure you wear the backpack under your jersey on the front a la Andy Schleck :) .

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:50 am

:lol: haven't gone as far as the skin suit and aero helmet for the commute yet. Not too many CCR competitors on the routes I take :(

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 pm

On the look out for a cheapish but durable road frame with mudguard lugs. I'll swap the bits off the primo on to it.
Got any dents or nicks from chain suck on that frame? Appears to be a common point of failure going by the link below.
http://www.m-gineering.nl/oopsg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Nobody wrote:Got any dents or nicks from chain suck on that frame? Appears to be a common point of failure going by the link below.
http://www.m-gineering.nl/oopsg.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No, I reckon it started from the weld at the bridge between the chain stays. There is a white frame with a less advanced crack at the same point in your link.