This tent is made for camping...

il padrone

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:30 am

Yes, have heard impressive reports of the Soulo.

http://markswalkingblog.files.wordpress ... 10-549.jpg

http://markswalkingblog.wordpress.com/2 ... -and-snow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is the weight of the Soulo? And how do you find the clip-fastening onto the poles? For the past 16 years I have only used tents with poles that sleeve through a fly pocket (really simple to erect) - clip tents have always seemed a downgrade to me. The tent is a double-skin tent of course, so what is the purpose of the cover at the top?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:30 pm

il padrone wrote:Yes, have heard impressive reports of the Soulo.

http://markswalkingblog.files.wordpress ... 10-549.jpg

http://markswalkingblog.wordpress.com/2 ... -and-snow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is the weight of the Soulo? And how do you find the clip-fastening onto the poles? For the past 16 years I have only used tents with poles that sleeve through a fly pocket (really simple to erect) - clip tents have always seemed a downgrade to me. The tent is a double-skin tent of course, so what is the purpose of the cover at the top?
At just under 3kg the Soulo is heavy for a 1p tent, but quite roomy. I have the LW version of the Exped Synmat UL7, which fits in perfectly, leaving a space along the outer wall to store my gear. Four panniers fit nicely in the vestibule.

The tent has 30cm rod pockets at each corner, The clips contribute greatly to the ease of pitching the tent. It's single pitch, and that includes the footprint, which remains attached, so once the rods are clipped in, the tent is up. It has been so easy to put up, even in the wind, at the end of a long cold day. Because it's been windy I've been using the double stays as well. It takes longer to inflate the Exped than it does to pitch the tent.

The little top hat covers the vent, and includes a rain gutter over the door.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:40 pm

I almost bought a Soulo but believed it might be an oven when camping in the desert...nice tent though.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Wingnut wrote:I almost bought a Soulo but believed it might be an oven when camping in the desert...nice tent though.
deja vu (doo) me thinks - that exactly what Andrew (Aushiker) thought looking inside my Macpac Minaret when he helped me put it up for the first time (its been in its bag for around 15-17yrs).
I was glad, as I'd stupidly ignored his recommendation of bringing the 4 season sleeping bag when we did the Waterous Way and when I spent the first night in my bivvybag I hardly slept a wink because
of the cold inside my one season bag.
No probs the next night which I spent in the tent (although I was surprised at the amount of condensation inside the fly area). On my journey down/across whatever, from NSW I found airing/drying the dew/condensation whatever, of my bivvy and sleeping bag a pain. Thankfully, if I forgot, it was generally only a matter of hanging off a tree branch for half an hour or so. Forgetting and going to bed a bit damp one cool night did wonders for not forgetting again. :shock: :roll: :lol:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:18 pm

One for the MSR fans (and Rifraf since it is green) ... Shane seems pretty happy with his MSR Hubba Hubba after 180 nights in Africa.
I am under no illusions about the tent floor being waterproof after so much wild camping in the desert, but thanks to the foot print its not as bad as it could be (the footprint is now almost as much duct tape as other material).
Andrew

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:41 am

Just ordered a Darche Hybrid 1 person

Definitely not a long term road companion but (at $80) I hope to put it to good use as a slightly more cooler, dryer, roomy and bug and snake free bivvy bag for quick over-nighters in the hot humid months to come

Looking to replace my hennsey hammock - sleeping in a hammock is definitely not a good alternative to cyclists lafter relief from being hunched over the handlebars all day!!!!!
Go!Run!GAH!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Just ordered a Darche Hybrid 1 person

Definitely not a long term road companion but (at $80) I hope to put it to good use as a slightly more cooler, dryer, roomy and bug and snake free bivvy bag for quick over-nighters in the hot humid months to come

Looking to replace my hennsey hammock - sleeping in a hammock is definitely not a good alternative to cyclists lafter relief from being hunched over the handlebars all day!!!!!
Hi Cheesewheel,
looking forward to reading your review of the Hybrid 1.
Certainly couldnt complain about its weight.

I looked at the hammocks myself as an option - just as well I didn't indulge in the retail therapy as many stretches of my last journey there was a lack of
suitable trees to string from. I've read the tales of doing it with strong tent poles but the ground in many places isnt suitable as an anchor.

I think a bivy is a great option if you can handle a claustrophobic abode and your bivy looks much roomier than most. Hopefully its suitably waterproof and venting will help keep the condensation at bay. :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 07, 2013 11:54 pm

Another option for those interested in lighter tents. These popped up over at the Bushwalking Australia forums. The brand is Nordisk and they have a few options such as the Telemark 1 which is similar to my Tarptent Scarp 1.

There is also a review on the Telemark 2 blogpackinglight.

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue May 14, 2013 7:25 pm

Rifraf,

I like the idea of the RAB Ridge Master Bivy...but I prefer a single person tent as I can keep my gear inside or under the vestibule...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue May 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Nice looking bivy there Wingnut - well spotted.
My one doesn't have any hoops so is somewhat claustrophobic for the first few nights.
The fabric sitting against you face can take some getting used to. Still the first few nights of touring I'd sleep through Armageddon itself so no worries there. I've yet to try out my new E-vent fabric Macpac Cocoon but am looking forward to its christening.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri May 24, 2013 8:51 am

Any thoughts on the Nemo Gogo Elite tent? It uses an airframe rather than ali poles so keeps the weight down, packed weight is 0.8kg.
http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?Gogo+Elite+Tent
... besides the obvious one that you'll really need to watch out for bindi when setting up your tent or carry extra patches in your bike's puncture repair kit.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:37 pm

I was reading in the oficial TdF guide that the Quechua 2 Seconds tent is a "French institution". I've never heard of this brand before so though they would be worth looking up.

So they are a little heavier, a little bulkier than appeals to my particular style of camping, but great value. See for yourself...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:43 pm

They are like those pop-up beach shelters now popular on Aussie beaches. Very quick and easy for less experienced campers, but like the beach-shelters, bulky when folded, a PITA to twist and fold, and pretty useless in any sort of strong winds.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 am

RonK wrote:I was reading in the oficial TdF guide that the Quechua 2 Seconds tent is a "French institution". I've never heard of this brand before so though they would be worth looking up.

So they are a little heavier, a little bulkier than appeals to my particular style of camping, but great value. See for yourself...
Yep they certainly are. Actually they are also extremely popular in Germany too. When I was travelling around France (total of 4 weeks) probably 98% of tents at every camping ground was Quechua brand, and of those maybe 80% were the 2 second model. The reason is that they are cheap, widely available, simple, compact and easy. People like to go to festivals or go 'camping' at these massive tourist camp grounds for a few days during summer so they just want something cheap and easy. If it breaks it doesn't matter! Some people even set them on fire at the end of their life, e.g. when the music festival is finished.

I'll still take my Tarp Tent with me when I travel though. I'd hate to be stuck in bad weather in one of those cheap Quechua tents.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:12 pm

This 25 year old 3 season tent, a Euraka Timberloft Lite, my favourite tent of all time, is still the tent for me (and I've a few goodish tents, which are lighter, more expensive and not at all comfortable).

The gaudy highlight colours of my tent (similar to my pannier pig) are not overly appealing and do test my delicate sensibilities, admittedly. I should buy a green one of these Eurekas (now called) Timberline tents ... and get some camo face paint, and go totally stealth nation.

Some shots from a winter tour that I have just completed on the Great Divide in NSW ... with much rain and frost and no adverse tenting type issues. The fly helped heaps. The fly defrosts and dries relatively quickly. Good tents make for great trips and dry tents speedy pack-ups.

Don't ever underestimate taking a light weight fly ... unless you're a committed weight weenie.

Warren.

PS, No matter what tent you get, if your considering a purchase, get some aerospace grade pegs. That can give a big saving, weight wise ... and will relieve you of much of your dosh.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:22 pm

Yeah I'm in the market for a good fly to cover my tent, mainly for UV protection when on the Eyre Peninsula, desert etc.

Any recommendations for a good brand?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi Wingnut,
I was thinking of you the other day when I saw a bike go past with a frame extension hanging off his seatpost. It was for carrying a surfboard and I've never seen one before. The rider said it was very stable except in windy conditions. Its hard to describe but something apparently readily available from surf shops (at least in WA). I didnt have my camera with me but as its in my neighborhood, I'll keep my eyes open for a photo opportunity (if you havent seen/heard of them before).
Cheers

Oh and to keep on topic (for a change) - I'm on the look out for a lightweight fly too as the trailer tarp versions I used for my last tour are due for replacement.
I'll keep one of them for a groundsheet/footprint but would like something lighter for an overhead tarp for both bivying as well as UV protection for my new tents.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:47 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm on the look out for a lightweight fly too as the trailer tarp versions I used for my last tour are due for replacement.
I'll keep one of them for a groundsheet/footprint but would like something lighter for an overhead tarp for both bivying as well as UV protection for my new tents.
Try a Wilderness Equipment Overhang (or UL Overhang if you want to save weight).

You will want at least the medium size.

The spin:
Engineered tarps for shelter in every season. This economy range of Overhangs uses our regular 75 denier, waterproof, polyester tent fabric. The tensile design engineering and construction quality incorporated in all our Overhangs are world leading. Carefully cut panels, non-stretch, reinforced ridges and perimeters and our original design tear-drop guycord pockets combine with construction details to deliver the best-pitching and strongest tarps available. If you need group shelter or sun shade, enjoy the airy openness of fly camping or simply do stuff outdoors in all weathers, one of these Overhangs is for you.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:24 pm

My setup.
Copied from an earlier thread but brings back nice warm summer memories.
Hilleberg tent, tarp and poles;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:54 pm

RonK wrote: Try a Wilderness Equipment Overhang (or UL Overhang if you want to save weight).

You will want at least the medium size.
Thanks RonK

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:13 pm

WarrenH wrote:The gaudy highlight colours of my tent (similar to my pannier pig) are not overly appealing and do test my delicate sensibilities..
What's up with red. I love it. It goes with green. Then again I've never been known for my fashion sense.:D

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:54 pm

The gaudy highlight colours of my tent (similar to my pannier pig) are not overly appealing and do test my delicate sensibilities, admittedly. I should buy a green one of these Eurekas (now called) Timberline tents ... and get some camo face paint, and go totally stealth nation
Stick with the gaudy Warren. Now that hunters are allowed into areas previously denied to them in NSW, you do not want to be camouflaged. :evil:

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Stick with the gaudy Warren. Now that hunters are allowed into areas previously denied to them in NSW, you do not want to be camouflaged. :evil:
Those pretty little red bits would be perfect for sighting a hunting rifle in at 800 meters. But yeah, I can't say that hunting in National Parks grabs me.
Guns and morons don't mix, but too often do. A bit like cars really. They both appeal to Neanderthals.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:14 am

Mountain Laurel Designs tarps look pretty sweet. You can get them in cuben fibre (super ultra light + expensive) or silnylon (not as light + cheaper). Both are very light.

Here's an inspirational blogger writing about adapting to an MLD tarp (his one is made out of Spinntex, which MLD no longer use).

petie

Postby petie » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Wondering if anyone here uses a super light & small tent?
I'm currently looking around at bivvy bag style affairs like the black wolf stealth and the darche hybrid and can't find many reviews. These two popped up due to price, a memo gogo had been suggested, but at that price I'll be working instead of sleeping in the damn thing!!