Front wheel hub seal pried open

jacob_T

Front wheel hub seal pried open

Postby jacob_T » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 pm

On today's roll I felt like my front wheel was a bit shaky.

I looked down and noticed the seal on the hub that covers the ball bearings had popped open and I could see the ball bearings inside (not sure of technical terminology).

What has happened? Is this a difficult thing to fix?

Will attach some pictures to hopefully illustrate what I'm talking about.

jacob_T

Re: Front wheel hub seal pried open

Postby jacob_T » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 pm

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:05 pm

You need to tighten it using a cone wrench. Given it's so loose, you could probably get it finger tight until you get to a bike shop with a cone wrench. Probably safer not to ride it like that.

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks. Is it a pretty common thing to have happen?

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:00 pm

It happens enough that it makes sense to go buy a set of cone spanners so that you can do the periodic maintenance yourself, rather than take it into a LBS & have to pay them to tighten them up for you. I just bought a pair of cone spanners from c r c in my last order and they aren't hugely expensive. Just don't overtighten the cones, especially with quick release - you must set the cones so that there is a little bit of play when the hub is off the bike, or when the wheel is installed with the quick release just barely tightened. This is because the quick release compresses the axle slightly when it is tightened. Oh, and don't use the cone spanners for anything other than cones, as you'll bend the spanners because they are quite thin.

Edit: I forgot to add that if you do the cones up too tight, the bearing surfaces will destroy themselves prematurely and the wheel won't roll as well as it could.