How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Xplora

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Xplora » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Rolling PB coming home tonight, second best overall time. Rolling 39min 52sec at 31.3kmh absolutely smashes my previous best, and I managed to get a good solid 40-42kmh along Parramatta River through Ermington inbound today despite the blistering heat. PB includes a bunch of little climbs along Victoria Road and a TON of climbing through Wentworthville and Pendle Hill. Rule 5, senoritas! :x

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:21 am

Good ride back via MYT and Banyule Trail yesterday afternoon.
Last commute into the CBD for the year this morning...felt a bit weary, perhaps because in my mind I'm already winding down for the upcoming 10 days off....
Looks like I'll finish a smidge under 14k of commuting for the year - there will be a few utility commutes during the break, e.g., to shops, brother's place etc, but not enough make the 14k.

Happy Holidays, everyone! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:37 am

I am getting tired of the red p platers here in nsw. Riding home yesterday and one car thought it would be funny to try and startle me. They achieved their purpose and got to chuckle over it...yay for them.

Seriously, if I can actually catch up to one of them it wont be pretty. I have had a gutful.

This mornings ride was uneventful. Left home without the helmet on and was 50 metres down the road before I realised. Had a headwind all the way to work and it was overcast as well, but didnt rain. Body is very tired at the moment, am falling asleep too early at night and just dont have the oomph in my riding. Been a long year.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:43 am

So riding home tonight.... late. Still in a local side street an oncoming car sees me, and then turns on his hi beam. He leaves them on. I doubt he would have done it if I'd been in a car. Just another bully...

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:13 am

Comedian wrote:So riding home tonight.... late. Still in a local side street an oncoming car sees me, and then turns on his hi beam. He leaves them on. I doubt he would have done it if I'd been in a car. Just another bully...
I've had that as a reaction to my own bike lights once or twice if they'd slipped upwards. Not saying that's what happened, but some of our lights can be pretty damn bright.

On my commute today I saw Santa Claus on a bike complete with fake beard and he said Merry Christmas :) When I told my kids (5 & 3) I saw Santa out exercising getting reading for Christmas day they just about passed out.

A bit later I saw a reindeer on a bike :)

Was so humid this morning in Bris my gear indicators fogged up inside! I gave up on the sunnies. I seemed to go through a lot of light rain patches too. Got a PB on Mt Cootha this morning in commute mode - 11:20 with heavy wheels, 1.2kg of marathon pluses, and a backpack full of clothes, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and various other junk.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Comedian wrote:So riding home tonight.... late. Still in a local side street an oncoming car sees me, and then turns on his hi beam. He leaves them on. I doubt he would have done it if I'd been in a car. Just another bully...
A couple of weeks ago I had some bogan in a commodore ute that was coming in the opposite direction lean out to tell me that my light was on. I couldn't quite make out what he was screaming but given his gestures I'd say he was telling me that my light was working and that he could see me just fine. Motorists like this help restore my faith in humanity.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Took the limo for the final trip achieving goal of cycling to work all year, rain, hail, shine, fever, migraine, no off's, no collisions, no missiles received, no magpie strikes, 10x more bicycles at end of year than at the start (+new baby boy adding to toddler girl taken for first ride on bike this year), bloody hell it's been a good year on reflection. Just have to survive the last 20km, touch wood =D

pacra

Postby pacra » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Stinking hot in Melbourne ... 40 degrees on the way home. Mid 20's with little wind to work this morning with the expectation of a cool change in the afternoon. Not to be.
1 km from home a guy came alongside, told me he had done a round trip to Melb airport, at over 50km each way he looked it. I didn't tell him he did only a little less on a scorching day than I do in a whole week. When the lights changed he took off ... he was no slouch.
Suitably humble I drifted the final click home and sat in front of the air conditioner for 2 hours.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:00 am

Last commute of my year... coming at me! :mrgreen:

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:49 am

Sweet ride in this morning. No wind, not that hot and sod all traffic! Wasn't in that much of a rush as I have a half day but managed to average 33km/h :mrgreen: (There are a lot of downhills though :wink: )

All in all, a great day to be on a bike 8)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:09 am

eldavo wrote:Just have to survive the last 20km, touch wood =D
Don't keep us in suspense eldavo, did you survive the last commute ? :D

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:41 am

My last commute for 2012. The ride this morning was uneventful. If I get away early (as is almost certain) I might do a quick ride through the Boondall Wetlands just for the fun of it and to build up a few more kms.

Merry Christmas all and I hope to see you all here in the New Year.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Last commute in for the year here too, so i chucked in a bit of a ride along the river + Goodwill bridge & botanical gardens instead of going over Story Bridge. Traffic was extremely light, so it made for a very quick run in. Able to leave work early too this afternoon, so i'll do a river loop to bump the distance for the day up past 50km. Wish it was like this every day...

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Nice and quiet riding to Sydney this morning. Crossing Canterbury road at 6.20am has never been easier! :mrgreen:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Uneventful last commute of the year. I rode to work every day bar one this year. Pretty happy with that. :mrgreen:

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:37 am

Comedian wrote:Uneventful last commute of the year. I rode to work every day bar one this year. Pretty happy with that. :mrgreen:
That's pretty bloody impressive!!

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Comedian wrote:Uneventful last commute of the year. I rode to work every day bar one this year. Pretty happy with that. :mrgreen:
Mighty impressive - congrats

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, no significant rides for me since finishing up work on the 21st of December, bar a couple of round trips to my brother's place. So my final stats for 2012:

- 13 736.5km worth of commutes
- 1 day off bike in Feb due to bee sting near eye resulting in bad swelling
- 1 day off bike in Oct due to being cleaned up by a car - frame snapped, TW luckily only bruised
- 0 days on alternative transport to work

Here's to many fantastic commutes in 2013 - Happy New Year, all!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:05 pm

Perth:

It was OK this morning though by 8 when I had showered at work I could feel the day warming up substantially.

Depending on wind and heat I may make the last ride home from work the full distance. Sorta make me feel like I have suffered sufficiently for my art for the year. However BOM reported 40.4C at 12:30 so I imagine I will do all except 6km by train.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:25 am

First ride for the year....started off as a warm morning, following on from the hot one the day before. The weather gurus stated that there could be possible showers in the morning but luckily for me they didnt eventuate..in saying this though, as I type it is getting darker outside.

Ride was good, first half of the ride had a mild headwind which then turned into a leg burner of a headwind for the second half of the ride.

To finish of my year of riding on Monday...I had the pleasure of a P plater, yes who would have guessed, throw a half full bottle of gatoraid at me on my way home. Luckily for me it missed because the way it flew past me I am sure I would have crashed as a result of getting hit.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 am

gretaboy wrote:To finish of my year of riding on Monday...I had the pleasure of a P plater, yes who would have guessed, throw a half full bottle of gatoraid at me on my way home. Luckily for me it missed because the way it flew past me I am sure I would have crashed as a result of getting hit.
Fortunately most reprobates who throw things from moving cars aren't bright enough to understand the physics involved with throwing from one moving object at another. Unfortunately, even moron's sometimes get lucky. Glad to hear they missed.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 am

The only good thing about going back to work today (well, officially going back because I actually worked from home throughout the break), was being able to commute in.

Unfortunately Angel (roadbike) is waiting for LBS to reopen for some repairs beyond my capability. Fortunately I have more than one bike :)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 am

Well here I am again... In 2013. :(

Did a couple of Cootha laps on the way in with some mates which softened the blow. :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:34 pm

First commute for 2013 this morning. Late start - 6am - quite a novelty having some daylight on the way into the Melbourne CBD...

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:40 pm

Like a heap of others this was my first commute for the year. Completely uneventful except that there was heaps of glass on the road and paths.

I made my target of 7,500 kms for the year and this year I keep the same target but also attempt to include at least 10 rides of 100 kms or more.

I hope everybody here has a wonderful and safe 2013.