Garmin Training Centre Notes Page

CatCanRide

Garmin Training Centre Notes Page

Postby CatCanRide » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Was a very spoilt woman and received a Garmin Edge 500 for Christmas. Hubbies brownie points have gone throught the roof.

Have been having a lot of fun riding with it but am a bit stumped with working out how to save comments on the notes page in the Garmin Training Centre. Have tried googling and the help page but can't find anything to make it save my notes. Can select the activity, type the notes in the notes tab and then they just disappear into the ether.

Have discovered that I am very competitive with myself and keep on trying to better my times on my rides. :oops: Would like to be able to note how I feel at the end of each ride as the final bit of information to summarise the ride.

DaveOZ

Re: Garmin Training Centre Notes Page

Postby DaveOZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:29 pm

CatCanRide wrote: Have discovered that I am very competitive with myself and keep on trying to better my times on my rides.
You need Starva. :wink:

You can make notes in Strava easily and your rides can be private if you like.

CatCanRide

Postby CatCanRide » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks DaveOz, I may need to check out Strava. Have been avoiding going there as I don't want to start getting competitive with ohter people. The amount of effort I would need to put in to be competitive would be astronomical. :D I tend to be the person getting passed rather than doing the passing on the tracks.

Have been quite happy with the Garmin giving me an average speed of 19 - 20ks per hour which is a bit better than what I'd been roughly calculating for myself before I got the Garmin.

am50em

Postby am50em » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:21 am

CatCanRide wrote:Thanks DaveOz, I may need to check out Strava. Have been avoiding going there as I don't want to start getting competitive with ohter people. The amount of effort I would need to put in to be competitive would be astronomical. :D I tend to be the person getting passed rather than doing the passing on the tracks.
You can use Strava just to track your own improvement over segments.
Where you sit in the entire field just gives an idea of what is possible :shock:

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:58 am

+ 1 for the strava, i used the garmin site for two months after a purchased my new garmin untill friends and family kept telling me to use strava.So transfered all my rides over to strava and have never looked back.
Another sister site to strava is VeloViewer it tells you gradient of climbs and a more in depth look at your segments so fourth,

CatCanRide

Postby CatCanRide » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Have taken a look at Strava and am feeling appropriately humble. :) I know that I'm not the fastest rider, but boy some people are quick!!!!! Must remember to keep on competing with myself - at least I'm in the same ball park as me.

Will check out Veloviewer as well and see which one suits me better before I've done too many rides with the Garmin.
Totally amazed at how much information this little toy can gather. Still can't work out why the notes wont work for me in the training centre but will learn to live with that.

CatCanRide

Postby CatCanRide » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Ah! Veloviewer seems to be an extension of Strava (to put it very roughly). :D So much to learn.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 pm

CatCanRide.....I just hopped onto my Garmin training centre and typed in some notes. It seemed to autosave what ever I typed, there is no option to save as such. I entered text into two different notes fields, then got out of Training centre, went back in, and the text I typed was still there so not sure why your text is disappearing.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:12 pm

While I'm not sure about Garmin Training Centre most of these types of Apps require you to press Enter after typing in your notes for them to be saved or posted.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:19 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:While I'm not sure about Garmin Training Centre most of these types of Apps require you to press Enter after typing in your notes for them to be saved or posted.
just tested that theory and in my case anyway, it wasnt required...it is strange how it seems to save the text without requiring it to be saved as such

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I wonder if the op is looking for a save button when there isn't one in Garmin training centre which just saves it automatically?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

CatCanRide

Postby CatCanRide » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Hmmm. Not sure what is going on but now when trying to add notes they are saving.
Haven't done anything different but it's working = automatically saving the notes.

Must have been my unlucky day before.

jzr

Postby jzr » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 pm

EDIT: Just realised you may have been talking about Training Centre, the desktop software, so the below points will not be applicable if that is the case. In any case, I'd ditch Training Centre for Garmin Connect, the online service they provide (as well as Strava of course)

If you are viewing the activity itself (i.e your ride), if you select the pencil and opt for the 'Quick Edit', there is a little green circle that is labelled 'Finish' to the right of the activity name/title field.

Whenever I have changed anything, added a note or changed activity etc. I have pressed 'Finish' to save and it has always worked. Might be another option if you encounter the same problem again. Note that this is after already having uploaded the activity.

I tend to upload to both Garmin Connect and Strava - even though it is the same device, Strava does seem to be reading different data when it comes to average speeds, total time moving and even elevations sometime (as well as calories expended - even though that is only really a rough estimate it is still a nice guide). I'm a data nerd and stickler for accuracy and keeping both allows you to look at the data in different ways too.