From Albany Hwy via Wungong Res. to Nettleton Rd?

HappyHumber

From Albany Hwy via Wungong Res. to Nettleton Rd?

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 am

Perhaps one for the seasoned local riders... I'm looking at some variations of my known loops in the hills SE of the Metro area.

I find it hard to tell whether the roads/tracks I can see from Guggle Maps/RideWithGPS are sealed or not gated going in to out from Wungong Reservoir from Albany H'way to Nettleton Road. Is there public access through past the Reservoir?

Is there a straightforward means of access from Admiral Road/Springfield Road at the Northern end of the Reservoir to North Road - or following more back roads to the the Southern end ?

Linky to general locality of Karrakup anyway....
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Re: From Albany Hwy via Wungong Res. to Nettleton Rd?

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:10 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Is there a straightforward means of access from Admiral Road/Springfield Road at the Northern end of the Reservoir to North Road - or following more back roads to the the Southern end ?
Admiral Road South is a mix of bitumen and dirt.
Springfield Road is bitumen

This is based on Google Maps Satellite view with labels turned off. Streetview confirms this as well.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:14 am

Thanks Andrew.
It did later occur to me to look at Streetview. It appears the little Google camera car could only get so close to the reservoir wall from either side as you can see as the coverage seems to end at what looks like picnic spots, car parks and service gates. The gates don't look anything a quick dismount couldn't handle.

Might have to take a little annotated print out or two in my pocket and go for an explore. Any half serious Randonneur shouldn't be afraid of a few KM of gravel road either ;-)
--

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 am

HappyHumber wrote:Might have to take a little annotated print out or two in my pocket and go for an explore. Any half serious Randonneur shouldn't be afraid of a few KM of gravel road either ;-)
True and your CC should handle it okay (28 mm or wider tyres?) unless they are really soft sandy roads.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:06 am

Don't know how soft or hard packed the gravel is but I've done Mitchell & Palmateer Roads up around Carmel/Bickley recently on the leaner Miyata roadie with 700x25. Not ideal.. but they're less than a few K each.

Scrolling north on the Karrakup map, I might explore Canning Dam first I think. I did a loop up Mills Road East / Chevin Road / Brooktoon H'way and via Churchman Damn to Albany H'way nice & early yesterday.
--

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Curious to know what you found out Humber. Can you make it through to Wugong from North Road.
Keen on planning a ride from serpentine out there and coming back down Canning Mills.
Most importantly how would a roadie running 23mm go?
Cheers mate.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Pravda wrote:Curious to know what you found out Humber. Can you make it through to Wugong from North Road.
Keen on planning a ride from serpentine out there and coming back down Canning Mills.
Most importantly how would a roadie running 23mm go?
Cheers mate.
23mm on pea gravel dirt roads? uhhhh
How about head to Jarrahdale, out jarrahdale Rd to Albany Hwy. Along Albany Hwy until Canning Dam Rd. Then take your pick at getting down :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810