New bike fitting, Perth

anse_soleil

New bike fitting, Perth

Postby anse_soleil » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi all, first post, newbie rider too and looking for some advice.

My son (9) has just bought his first road bike, a lovely little Fuji that he's over the moon with.

Now I'm keen to get into a routine of riding with him every weekend but I'm going to need something a little better than my MTB.

I've window shopped around some local stores but the kind of reception I get is always the same; ask me about budget, point to a couple of options and suggest I take them for a spin. This is okay, I guess, but it doesn't fill me with a great deal of satisfaction, it never feels like a place I'd enjoy going back to and certainly not a place I am going to get some great advice. There's no conversation about the kind of riding I want to do and no-one has ever said anything about 'fitting' a bike to me. I'm pretty short at 168, I have short legs but really long arms. When I ride I tend to suffer with pins and needles in the balls of my feet and toes and in my hands. If I'm to really get into this I need not only to enjoy the view and the experience but not feel discomfort 5k from home.

So, am I asking too much in finding a store where the staff actually want to know about me, rather than how much cash I've got and what's on the floor in my price range? I'm never going to race but I'm happy to spend a few grand if it gets me something I'll enjoy riding and last well.

Any recommendations? Any help greatly appreciated.

MarkG

Re: New bike fitting, Perth

Postby MarkG » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Elite Cycles mate.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Cycle mania north Perth.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:35 pm

MarkG wrote:Elite Cycles mate.
Chat to Steve.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm

moosterbounce wrote:
MarkG wrote:Elite Cycles mate.
Chat to Steve.
+1
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

anse_soleil

Postby anse_soleil » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Cheers folks, looks like I'll be talking to Elite.

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 am

I'll add Cycles Bespoke in Bayswater, 2 King William Street - http://cyclesbespoke.com/contact/. Great guys. Concerned about how your bike fits.

Sounds like your body shape may be outside of the "normal" range, so you do need to get the fit right. However, that might be a bit tricky as bikes are made for "normal".

Shop owners will always need to know your budget, otherwise they won't know what to suggest.

Kaffine

Postby Kaffine » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

+1 Cycle Mania

Just bought my Defy from there and couldn't be happier, No Pressure to buy, Fitting included, They stick with the budget I gave them not trying to sell me a $4K bike, Acknowledged my presence even when they were busy

See Wayne, Aaron or Luke.

Luke spent about 2 hours fitting the bike with me and helpfully answered all my newby questions on technique, components, and upgrades enthusiastically. I'm not sure if this was because they new that I'm a Sales coach but they ticked all the service boxes that I train staff on.

Currently have store wide 20% discount and when/ if you buy from them you get 15% off if you by anything from them in the future free service at 6 weeks

These guys must be good as it was the only store that was busy every time I went there.

Yes you are going to have to tell them what you're going to use it for, saves them playing 20 questions, Basically walked in there told them my budget, what I currently have and that I wanted a comfortable road bike (endurance) Wayne must have spent about 2 hours explaining things, options and advantages of each bike in a layman's language I understood.
Giant DEFY 2 Comp, Giant ATX 840 Mod

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Free first service is standard everywhere I thought.

Everyone will get different service at every store. I'm not a fan of cycle mania but that was to do with me knowing more about the bikes I was looking at than they did. Which I don't mind if the sales guy is honest about not knowing much about a new model, but not when they fluff through with things that sound good but aren't right. It wouldn't stop me from going there again though, but I felt I was lucky to know the specs prior.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:14 pm

CM are good shop. Pity that some of the people running their kit are morons.
This morning, 730, heading past left bank. I'm heading away from Freo, they are heading in. Decided 2 abreast wasn't enough for them, so a few of them decide to ride on the other side of the ride.

Good representation of the shop, morons.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"