The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

thecaptn

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby thecaptn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:46 am

toolonglegs wrote:Surely it is just a mechanical thing you have to work out?.

I was going to do a big one today but didn't get out early enough before meeting up with the club for a roll. To be honest though, I am still feeling it in my hamstrings from Friday, still feeling fatigued as well so I am not too bothered. Might get on the rollers for an hour tomorrow, but if not going on holiday till next Saturday without a bike :shock: . CX race day after I return :D then into it hard to get ready for RR season... only 2 months till first RR of the season... and still so much weight to lose! :lol: .
How much weight do you think you'l need to lose? What do you weigh now?

boss

Postby boss » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:14 am

Good ride this morning, 98km and 2111m up. Few big efforts in there, some good PR's including a few late in the piece.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:10 pm

thecaptn wrote:

I was going to do a big one today but didn't get out early enough before meeting up with the club for a roll. To be honest though, I am still feeling it in my hamstrings from Friday, still feeling fatigued as well so I am not too bothered. Might get on the rollers for an hour tomorrow, but if not going on holiday till next Saturday without a bike :shock: . CX race day after I return :D then into it hard to get ready for RR season... only 2 months till first RR of the season... and still so much weight to lose! :lol: .
How much weight do you think you'l need to lose? What do you weigh now?
95 at the moment ( lightest I have started a new year for a few years so can't complain too much )... want 85. I shouldn't worry too much as winter's reduced riding always has me piling on the kilos. The weight falls off once the k's go up. Main aims before my "off month" guiding during the TDF are a stage race in May which has a good TT and is "reasonably" flat. There is another stage race I love in June but it isn't flat or even close, but if I am in B grade still then I will have a chance, depends if they make it a hard one or not.
Plan for now is to only go for the win in B grade if I can do it solo ( or maybe very small group )... I don't want to win sprints in B :lol: . Only want to go up to A if I can win in A :P . Got to have faith right :mrgreen: .

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:34 pm

I hope you're riding at least 82km today Mr TLL :(

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 pm

thecaptn wrote:I hope you're riding at least 82km today Mr TLL :(
Tempted but I would have to off load the kids somewhere :lol: ... beautiful day out though :| .

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Tempted but I would have to off load the kids somewhere :lol: ... beautiful day out though :| .
You wont be passing the 15,000km mark this year then?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:59 pm

thecaptn wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
You wont be passing the 15,000km mark this year then?
Nope ... it's just a number :P

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:18 pm

So your not one of these blokes that rides up and down the driveway to square the numbers up then.
Good for you.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:00 pm

Bugger - calf not right in my right leg. :( it's slightly tender to touch as well.

I knew something wasn't right after my last 75k ride. I thought I'd go out for an easy slow ride and even that was no good. I'll do some rest ice and all that stuff. :? I'm out for a little while.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 pm

Don't think so. I used to have a similar issue 20-odd years back if I bent over too much (ie. washing the dishes) or rode too hard. Eleven-ish years since I picked up the compressor. About five years before that it was the box of trampoline springs. And two years ago I caught the foot getting off the bike and couldn't sit for two weeks. :(

I think it's always been a problem area, but now it's getting worse. If I ride through it, I start getting pains in the quads. And it goes away as soon as I get off the bike.

As long as the races are short and I don't bonk - not too much of a problem.

TT bike rigged for tomorrow, bottle launchers on the rear so I'm not left searching for fluids in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:32 pm

145km, 4000kj on the TT bike. Back not great, but it was a bit sore before I started. The only time it felt good was when I was on threshold towing another rider back into town. When we finally stopped after about 10km he was panting pretty hard. :)

Sent from my iThingy...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Lots of research... looks like referred facet joint pain as it's the only one that fits the symptoms. And fits with what my chiropractor has indicated in the past (ligament damage not disc). And explains the 'click' I occasionally get from the lower back when dismounting.

I'm due for a checkup, so I'll have a chat to the doc about it soon.

Sent from my iThingy...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:21 am

Another 110km, that puts me at about 900km in twelve days. I get a real rest now - 2 days off the bike.

Sent from my iThingy...

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 am

Well I went on my first group ride this morning! Really enjoyed it! I don't think I've ever peddled so fast for so long! Great eye opener, tomorrow's ride is about 5km/h faster, ill see how I go, ill probably get dropped pretty quick but you got to try!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:18 pm

If you're in a group ride where your ability isn't over taxed, it is a real buzz for you Poohkies, especially when it is moving along smoothly. 8) Hang in there and you will see improvement over a couple of weeks. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:06 pm

foo on patrol wrote:If you're in a group ride where your ability isn't over taxed, it is a real buzz for you Poohkies, especially when it is moving along smoothly. 8) Hang in there and you will see improvement over a couple of weeks. :wink:

Foo
Only in broom till Friday, when I get back to Darwin ill look at doing a group ride once a month, today they sat on between 35 - 40 for the 35km. Tomorrow is 40 - 45! Like I said ill see how I go! Push my self hard and update with how I went

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 pm

This mornings ride was alot slower pace, good recovery ride from yesterday's!

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:14 am

This morning's ride was probably the most unfufilling I've had since getting a roadie.

Had the flu over the last few days, felt really dead. I had really wanted to go for a ride this morning, but as a compromise with myself (so I don't prolong sickness), I decided I'd just ride down to the beach and back. It's pretty much flat the entire way. And I said I'd get up later than usual, so I couldn't clock too many k's.

So yeah, did the ride. Ended up being 32km at 29.2km/h. But it was boring as hell, and now I'm at my desk champing at the bit to do a proper ride up some hills.

It wasn't all bad, though. I'd been really struggling with a blocked up head, and managed to blow out a whole bunch of stuff outta my nose. Don't feel quite so blocked up now.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:13 am

great last ride in Broome,

boys kept a high pace than i'm used to, bit like Wednesday's ride, legs are killing, did a made sprint on one of roads that all sprint on, managed a best ever of 56.8 on the flat, got the heart rate up finally to the 186bpm which is finally up there, don't normally get over 170 on a ride :)

fly home back to darwin at lunch so enjoyed broome, can't wait to come back and ride again!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 am

Last day in Adelaide for the family holidays I a nd decided that I would finish off with some threshold intervals down along the beach front. Bloody he'll it over 30 by 9am and in just over a hour I have consumed 2 bottles.

Now I have a sore throat
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am

jcjordan wrote:Last day in Adelaide for the family holidays I a nd decided that I would finish off with some threshold intervals down along the beach front. Bloody he'll it over 30 by 9am and in just over a hour I have consumed 2 bottles.

Now I have a sore throat
I forgot to say - I'm in Adelaide too - Garmin says it was 35 degree average, I was out the door at ten to seven and at work by 830.

Wasn't super uncomfortable, but I too churned through the water.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 pm

I hope Sydney avoids the worst of that heat!

I did a tentative 20km this morning - seemed okay with no leg problems. Also tried some Skratch Labs hydration mix in the drink bottle today - awesome stuff. Nice light taste and doesn't seem to cause stomach upset. :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:00 pm

93k's, 35C, more than 6lt of fluids, 2kg under weight, and the pee was a very worrying colour. Not one of my brighter decisions to still go out after having a major sleep in. Lol - feel fine, but only drinking hydralyte now just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iThingy...

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Left at 8 this morning 32 degres, by 8:30 35 by 9:30 37 by 10:00 39 10:30 40. Spent the last 15 k with my feet out of my shoes as the were cooking :oops: anyone else feet get hot?
Btw, the pack started at 15 of us and was down to 3 of us for the last 20 or so k.Some took the shorter route home others called there missus to come pick up and one other kept dropping off after the third time we slowed down for him, his reply was... gents just go, ill ride home by myself.hope he got home ok.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:37 pm

One word of advice to you blokes, get out of bed earlier and do your rides and I'm talking about no later than 6am day light saving time. The only thing you are going to achieve is heat stress and take ages to recover from it. :idea:

If you won't do that, then only do an hour ride because the damage to your body and mind is not worth it. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km