Annoying things that happen at races ...

LuckyPierre

Annoying things that happen at races ...

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:25 pm

We've talked about the embarassing things that happen, but what's the most annoying thing that has happened to you at an event?

I scored one today (and one of my colleagues scored one too).
After crapping on about chain lube yesterday, the evil chain demon struck - my joining link fell apart just shy of the halfway mark in today's race :cry: . I heard a 'tinkle, tinkle, tinkle' from the rear end and stopped as soon as I could to look - it seemed all OK, but as I went to take off again, it all came apart. No damage, other than pride and a three km walk back to the start / finish line. The chain is only 3,000 kms old and I haven't adjusted it's length or anything since June last year. Hindsight says that there was a slight noise in the rear end (my bike's) over the last few days - it's certainly gone now! I used a SRAM 'PowerLink Gold' connector to rejoin it and I'll watch it like a hawk for the next few days and see how things go. Does anyone else use a connector, or do you all use a chain tool to break the chain?
As for Tracey - she got a puncture while still within sight of the start line! :oops: We didn't get to talkwith her about what she thought of the whole thing - the area around her was a 'no-go' zone! :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:46 pm

Dam mechanicals !

One lap out for mechanicals doesn't give you enough time if your 3k from the finish line.

What type of link was the origional ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Bad luck Peterj, what a way to wreck your day.

SRAMs powerlink has never given me trouble, but I don't race...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Bad luck Peterj, what a way to wreck your day.

SRAMs powerlink has never given me trouble, but I don't race...
Currenlty using an SRAM powerlink, I can get the chain off easier than the Shimano ones, but I much prefer the Connex ones.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:34 pm

I like to get the chain off to clean it, so a powerlink or similar is a must. Never tried a Connex chain, is the link compatible with SRAM chains?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm glad that I'm not going in to unmarked territory with the SRAM link. The chain had the original Shimano links that you use a chainbreaker to push a pin out.
It was a 48 km road race - on our Uriarra T course. We were doing it in a different direction to how I've loaded it on bikely - see option 5 on this map. I was on my way back from the M5 turn and would've been more than 20 minutes behind my grade by the time I got back and I didn't fancy my chances of chasing them down with that much start.