re-connecting chains

gabrielle260

Re: re-connecting chains

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Jules, I'm paying the mechanic to do it right so I can only assume he is.
It's Simon Jamison in Surrey Hills... Several members here go to him and recommend him.
I'm a bit like Toolonglegs - I have broken 3 frames, 3 cranks, 2 handlebars, carbon forks, stems, seatposts, saddles, pedal axles, rims and countless spokes in 25 years of cycling so chains are hardly a surprise!
The only surprise is that it was at the joining link and the 9 speed and 11 speed happened within a few weeks of each other,
Andrew

panurge

Postby panurge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Nobody wrote:
panurge wrote:Notwithstanding all the good advice on this thread I will say that I've split andrejoined probably 100+ Shimano chains over the last 20 years using one of the regular pins and I've never had one fail on me.
So what special thing do you do to the regular pins and what do you weigh?
Nothing special, I just use a Park chain tool to push the pin so it's only in one outside link and then break the chain. Reverse the process to rejoin.

I weighed about 65kg at the start of the 20 years and about 72kg by the end. I blame living in Belgium for 8 years in the middle.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:43 pm

panurge wrote:
jules21 wrote:has anyone else tried to connect a chain with pins previously pushed out of the chain to shorten it?
Notwithstanding all the good advice on this thread I will say that I've split andrejoined probably 100+ Shimano chains over the last 20 years using one of the regular pins and I've never had one fail on me.
I think everyone did before 10 & 11 speed chains. I have joined 10 speeds the same way in an emergency and not had an issue... which is how I remember I have broken one road bike chain, descending the Koopenberg last year ( obviously wasn't peddling! :lol: ).

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 pm

panurge wrote:
Nobody wrote:
panurge wrote:Notwithstanding all the good advice on this thread I will say that I've split andrejoined probably 100+ Shimano chains over the last 20 years using one of the regular pins and I've never had one fail on me.
Nothing special, I just use a Park chain tool to push the pin so it's only in one outside link and then break the chain. Reverse the process to rejoin.

I weighed about 65kg at the start of the 20 years and about 72kg by the end. I blame living in Belgium for 8 years in the middle.
Yeah yeah likely story. You're talking to Aussies here! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:24 pm

I've 3 trikes now all running 3 "tip-find" chains joined together with the afore mentioned method, and have yet to have one break, but I seriously doubt I put any where near the kind of power through them that most of you guys would. I've tried "re-peening" a few joins, but it doesn't seem to work well with my limited tools (hammer and hard place, basically), so I've since stopped trying.

Dent.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:16 pm

It’s only on my current bike that I have actually started using chain joiners. Lets face it, one’s upon a time I never even knew they existed. :oops:

Previously I always rejoined chains using the original pins and secured the pin by giving the centre of the pin a gentle tap with a centre punch and hammer, expanding the end of the pin ever so slightly.

My favourite chain tool used to consist of a lump of steel with a 1/4” hole drilled in it that allowed me to tap a pin out with a small nail punch.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 pm

panurge wrote:
Nobody wrote:

My park tool has a collection of little metal rings on the pin which I have assumed come off the link pin when it's pushed out. There's no way I would be reusing those pins! Besides which, Shimano always gives you two with a chain, I have any number of spares kicking around.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:45 am

twizzle wrote: Besides which, Shimano always gives you two with a chain, I have any number of spares kicking around.
I bought 3 new shimano chains when I made the Grizzly... only got one pin with each :(

Dent.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 am

^ That's because you're special and be thankfull you got that one. ^^ :D

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:43 am

OEM chains rather than retail packs in a box with instructions?

Sent from my iThingy...

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:48 am

DentedHead wrote:
twizzle wrote: Besides which, Shimano always gives you two with a chain, I have any number of spares kicking around.
I bought 3 new shimano chains when I made the Grizzly... only got one pin with each :(

Dent.
Only got one from my PBK order as well. If anyone has a spare shimano 10 speed link joiner thinghamy I'd be happy to paypal you a small sum of $$$ for it and postage. Seems as though most online shops don't want to sell these on their own. Just PM me. Thanks.

T.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am

twizzle wrote:OEM chains rather than retail packs in a box with instructions?
Not sure what OEM is, but they were "7,8,9 Speed" narrow chains, all new in box (with instructions). One pin each. Not to worry though, like I said, I've yet to have one of my recycled ones break.

Dent.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 am

DentedHead wrote:Not sure what OEM is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_e ... nufacturer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Ah, thanks Nobody.

It's possible, though the chains were in Shimano boxes, with Shimano branding on the instructions. The pin came with each chain had a "guide" part that snapped off once the chain was joined.

Dent.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Sounds like retail packs to me. Has Shimano gone stingy recently? I've always gotten two in the past!

Sent from my iThingy...

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:35 pm

twizzle wrote:Sounds like retail packs to me. Has Shimano gone stingy recently? I've always gotten two in the past!
6 to 9 speed shimano chains come with 1 pin
105 & Ultegra come with 1 pin
XTR & Dura Ace come with 2 pins

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 pm

Ah - I only use Dura-Ace chains. :oops:

Sent from my iThingy...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 am

Have always shortened, lengthened and reconnected my chains using the original pin. I think I've broken one chain in 25 years. It comes down to doing it properly with a decent chain breaker. I also never remove my chain to clean it. It comes of only once it's worn out.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:44 pm

And once they went bushless, the pin is peened to stop it coming out and shouldn't be reused. As I said, my park tool has a collection of little metal rings which is the raised section on the pin which is sheared off when pushing the pin out.

YMMV, but a mate is waiting to get his frame back from being repaired after a rejoined chain using a new pin came apart in a sprint, ripped the derailleur off, trashed the carbon wheel and broke off part of the hanger mount on the frame. A $4.5K TT frame. Pushing a pin out doesn't do much for the side plates.

I also never remove chains until they are being replaced.

Sent from my iThingy...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:20 pm

twizzle wrote:YMMV, but a mate is waiting to get his frame back from being repaired after a rejoined chain using a new pin came apart in a sprint, ripped the derailleur off, trashed the carbon wheel and broke off part of the hanger mount on the frame. A $4.5K TT frame. Pushing a pin out doesn't do much for the side plates.

I also never remove chains until they are being replaced.
Good example of why to use a quick link if at all possible.