Hospitals are boring

g-boaf

Re: Hospitals are boring

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:16 am

I'll avoid the tragic puns - because that accident is nasty! :shock: Sounds horrible. :shock: :shock: :shock:

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

rkelsen wrote:Guys, the butt puns were funny until you rectum.

I wish you a speedy recovery Skull.
you win! thats a crack up
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:56 am

Crikey :shock: that's gotta hurt.

My nether regions are still wincing from the description.

Wish you well for the op and recovery.

Butt, please, NO PICS !!!!!

:wink:

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 am

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

What was the outcome of your surgery?

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for making me the butt of your jokes :grin:

Anyway surgery done and dusted, I have a new feeling towards the saying 'pain in the bum'

Doc mentioned I had just torn the anus but no internal damage. Another 2mm and I would be currently wearing a colostumy bag, so thank goodness for that.

Have a couple of stitches but due to being in the location it is at they don't stitch it right up. Also had a bunch of skin that had ripped in the middle area so the doc cut it off. It was two tears around 3cm long and 1cm deep.

Going to be off the bike for a while by the sounds of things. I mentioned that I was meant to be racing hellfire cup at the end of January, doc said no chance of that. I at least am allowed to discharge from the hospital for home care.

So yeah, dogga from the forum will need to find a replacement rider for hellfire.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by skull on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:42 am

skull wrote:Thanks for making me the butt of your jokes :grin:

but what happened, what was the outcome

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks for making me the butt of your jokes :grin:

Anyway surgery done and dusted, I have a new feeling towards the saying 'pain in the bum'

Doc mentioned I had just torn the anus but no internal damage. Another 2mm and I would be currently wearing a colostumy bag, so thank goodness for that.

Have a couple of stitches but due to being in the location it is at they don't stitch it right up. Also had a bunch of skin that had ripped in the middle area so the doc cut it off. It was two tears around 3cm long and 1cm deep.

Going to be off the bike for a while by the sounds of things. I mentioned that I was meant to be racing hellfire cup at the end of January, doc said no chance of that. I at least am allowed to discharge from the hospital for home care.

So yeah, dogga from the forum will need to find a replacement rider for hellfire.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am

Well that was arsey you dodged a bullet. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:57 am

glad you're OK-ish then. that will surely go down in your annals of cycling injuries :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 pm

The jokes are making me wince less, butt still ....

Glad things have gone as well as they have. No curries for you for a while :shock:

sloth

Postby sloth » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Good news skull. Glad its not as bad as it could have been and you've avoided the bag. The middle area that was cut off - do you mean the scranus?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:12 pm

I actually had to Google that :oops:

As per Urban Dictionary :shock: :lol:
scranus
The area on a man's body found between the scrotum and anus.
Also known as "the seams of life" because if one tears his scranus his soul will fall out.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Yeah what in slang terms is referred to as the gooch. Bit between testies and anus. Cut of a few cm of torn skin, doc mentioned the blood vessels had ripped away and weren't flowing blood to that area anymore and it wouldn't have healed.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 pm

Why oh why do I have to keep reading this thread. :?

Every time I do, my nether regions tingle in sympathy and try and run away :shock:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Ouch is an understatement.

Rest well on your belly and keep up with the laxatives and keep a big tube of lubricant with local anaesthetics. You won't want anything firm for the next few weeks. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:Why oh why do I have to keep reading this thread. :?

Every time I do, my nether regions tingle in sympathy and try and run away :shock:
At least all they do is tingle...rather than trying to scrape themselves off using a broken seat post.

Good news that Skull didn't manage to tear himself a new one though...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 pm

MichaelB wrote:Why oh why do I have to keep reading this thread. :?

Ditto, + a gazillion.....
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Good to hear Skull. That could've been worse... but not by much. There are easier ways to clear dingleberries you know.

Look on the bright side, you'll be able to fart a whole octave higher :mrgreen:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Nobody wrote:
wombatK wrote:Broken seat clamp bolts seem to be common enough to justify the question:
why are so many seat clamp's attached with just one bolt ?
Yes, I know a person that had his seatpost clamp bolt snap too (single bolt). He showed me the cut/abrasion on his inner thigh from the seatpost.

Do you think a two bolt post would release the saddle more slowly when broken, or do you think it would be less likely to break?
In the other thread Snapped the saddle rail bolt on my seatpost TLL says he'd snapped 5 seat post
bolts, but had not snapped any since turning to Thomson seatposts. Most of the Thomson ones have 2 bolt
designs.

Nobody can break things like TLL, so if he says the Thomson ones are the good oil, that's good enough for me.

For those who are thinking it's a good idea to tighten up their seat clamp bolts frequently, the Snapped the Saddle
rail thread has a post and link to an example where too much torqueing of the bolt has caused necking (thinning)
of the bolt and ultimately a fracture. Don't expect to get a warning sign like a creaking saddle.

Might be a job best done with a torque wrench and manufacturers spec, and a regular inspection of the bolt. Just a guess here, but I'm going for 6 monthly or 5000 km, say.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

wombatK wrote:For those who are thinking it's a good idea to tighten up their seat clamp bolts frequently, the Snapped the Saddle rail thread has a post and link to an example where too much torqueing of the bolt has caused necking (thinning) of the bolt and ultimately a fracture.
good point. it's worth mentioning that overtightening of fasteners is a common mistake. if there is no specification and/or you don't own a torque wrench, you can safely go by the thread diameter - as it increases, so does the maximum torque.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Home.

Looks like 6 weeks off the bike to recover and 2 weeks off work at least.

Anyway the seat post in mention was an FSA K-Force with 32mm setback.http://www.this link is broken/fsa-k-force-lig ... post-2011/

I have the same post on my mountain bike, it also had the bolt snap on the seat clamp. Luckily when that happened I didn't have all my weight on the seat so just stood up. Unlike the other day and I was sitting up on the seat.

I have had the seat and post (on the roadie) for about 18 months, during that time there had been no play or indication of stress on the clamp.

Since this is a 2 time failure (road and mountain bike) I have decided to cut them both away, which is a shame as they look really good but I have lost confidence with them. The way the seat clamp bolts need to be adjusted is a bit fiddly and I think this is what may have contributed to the failures (couldn't use a torque wrench due to the angle).

One of the guys I ride with has a Thompson up for sale which I will grab off him for my roadie, I now need to find an appropriate post for my mtn bike as well.
Last edited by skull on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:23 pm

you should consider notifying FSA and major retailers (i.e. wiggle) about that - 2 out of 2 may warrant a recall.

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm

jules21 wrote:you should consider notifying FSA and major retailers (i.e. wiggle) about that - 2 out of 2 may warrant a recall.
that is what the Doc said to me as well.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:44 pm

I have the contacts though if you purchased overseas, you can forget contacting the Aussie FSA importer SCV Imports as they have no warranty obligations.

FSA point out in their warranty info that you need to contact the retailer though as this is potentially a product recall issue I would contact them as well.

Hope you are doing ok and getting enough painkillers.
Cycling is in my BNA

skull

Postby skull » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 pm

one post came when I purchased the bike here in Australia, that was last year.

The other post was via wiggle a couple of years ago.

As for recovery I have a swag of different drugs and have been instructed to lie down with no pants on "to air out the derrière". What I am really scared about is going to do my business, as that will hurt. I am also on laxatives to try and loosen things up hopefully.
Last edited by skull on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.