Can't decide on which Bike

Ignoto

Can't decide on which Bike

Postby Ignoto » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi All,

I've been wanting to upgrade from my 2011 Avanti Giro 1 which has served me well for it's purposes however, I can't decide on what to move onto next.

My budget is around $1000-$1500 and I only plan to ride it as a commuter and a few weekly morning rides (so we're only looking at something for 200kms+).

What I've come across within this budget are:
Avanti Giro 4 $1100
Scott Speedster S20 CD - $1300
Specialized Allez Sport - $950
Felt F75 - $1400ish

They all appear to have Shimano 105 components bar the Specalized which has Sora's. At the moment I'm more leaning towards to Giro 4 (as its cheapest 105) and using the extra cash towards a Braccianos wheelset? Although, I'm not too sure if the Wheels on the Scott or Felt would be better than spending another $400 on Braccianos?

Additionally, the Felt F75 has a 12-25 Cassette on it while I think the rest either have a 12-27 or a 12-30. I'm currently running a 12-25 and being a heavier guy (mid 90's) I wouldn't mind some extra help up the mountains. So I'm not too sold on the Felt as I would then have to grab another Cassette plus potentially new wheels.

Any comments? Although I know most of you will come back and say test them all!

JessicaAlba

Re: Can't decide on which Bike

Postby JessicaAlba » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 pm

Had a test ride of an F75 before I bought my F2 and of that bunch, that would be my pick. I hear your point about the cassette, but you would only really notice this on hills. In which case, you just harden up and get fitter. Lol.

Of the others, the Specialized is out. No point settling for a 3rd rate groupset when you can have so much better. Which leaves the Avanti and Scott. I think this is the point where the advice, "the best bike for you is the one that makes you smile" comes in.

I will say though, while you are only planning 200km a week, there is every liklihood that you'll soon want to ride farther, faster and longer. So, get the best bike you can afford so you are future-proofed against the dreaded upgraditis.

Have fun!
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:12 am

don't let a cassette decide the bike (unless it's the only difference). they are cheap to buy and replace yourself.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm

The Avanti looks the goods for the money, the paint job is mint and the shape of the forks look horn :) I would use the R501 wheels during the week (they are very good for a budget wheel) and get the Bracciano's for the weekends to make it feel that extra bit special.